anything major on papelbon from closer to starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

anything major on papelbon from closer to starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anything major on papelbon from closer to starter?

Postby waltb87 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 pm

in my opinion he should stay closer.....because he seems so much better when he is the closer and he really wouldnt seem good at all being a starter
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: anything major on papelbon from closer to starter?

Postby kid sox » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 pm

waltb87 wrote:in my opinion he should stay closer.....because he seems so much better when he is the closer and he really wouldnt seem good at all being a starter

Pappelbon came up as a starter and wants to be a starter. He closed last season out of necessity...the kid can pitch. Every indication in spring training is that he is making a smooth transition from closer to starter. What makes you think he can't be successful as a starter?

The fact is, the Red Sox are moving Papelbon into a starters role for health reasons. Papelbon's shoulder obviously felt the brunt of the stressful innings that come with closing as they had to shut him down for the final month of the season. The team feels they can keep him healthier by having him on a more structured schedule. From what I understand, the Sox medical staff has not cleared Papelbon to do anything but start so I don't think there is any chance he will be put back in the bullpen this season.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:07 am

i heard that he had a couple tough outings but i looked at the numbers and....whoever told me was definitely not looking at the right numbers
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kid sox » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:46 am

waltb87 wrote:i heard that he had a couple tough outings but i looked at the numbers and....whoever told me was definitely not looking at the right numbers

either that or he is looking to draft Pappelbon in your fantasy league and is trying to move him off your radar.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 pm

yeah....hes been on my autopick fantasy team for a cpl of years now...and i would probably be retarded if i traded papelbon, but i actually read some anti-red sox columnist's column tell about a couple of his innings
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:41 pm

kid sox wrote:Pappelbon came up as a starter and wants to be a starter.

The only thing I've hear Papelbon say about the situation is that he wants to stay in the bullpen. That was awhile ago though. He hasn't been complaining but I haven't seen any quote that says he wants to go back to starting.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby kid sox » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 am

jfg wrote:
kid sox wrote:Pappelbon came up as a starter and wants to be a starter.

The only thing I've hear Papelbon say about the situation is that he wants to stay in the bullpen. That was awhile ago though. He hasn't been complaining but I haven't seen any quote that says he wants to go back to starting.

My understanding is that he has always wanted to be a starter. He's a starting pitcher this season. The team has said this. The medical staff has said this. And based on the comments I've read he seems excited about being a starter.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 pm

well now, according to rotoworld....hes going to be a closer again this year
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kid sox » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:02 am

waltb87 wrote:well now, according to rotoworld....hes going to be a closer again this year

surprised the hell out of a lot of people.

"For me, my entire makeup is to be a starting pitcher. That's what I know"

Jonathon Papelbon
Feb. 3, 2007
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:24 pm

eh....oh well...i have got some good relievers and hes another that should get me alot of saves, i got f rod, saito, chad cordero, and confirmed now, papelbon....again
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates