Nomar rumors....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomar rumors....

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:52 am

Today's Globe:

Interest shown in Garciaparra
Dodgers discuss trade for shortstop with Sox
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff, 12/6/2003

The Los Angeles Dodgers understand any shot they have at Nomar Garciaparra will hinge on whether the Red Sox can acquire Alex Rodriguez from the Texas Rangers for Manny Ramirez, but, nonetheless, they have had discussions with the Sox about a deal for the All-Star shortstop.

Sources close to both teams confirm that talks have centered on a package of players that would include Dodgers lefthander Odalis Perez, although one major league source said yesterday that it was his understanding the Red Sox would not keep Perez but use him in another deal.

The Sox also were awaiting word from free agent closer Keith Foulke, who must choose between returning to the Oakland A's or coming to Boston, where the Sox reportedly have offered him a three-year, $21 million deal.

The Dodgers' interest in Garciaparra, a native of Southern California, has accelerated in recent days. They had targeted Japanese shortstop Kazuhiro Matsui, but reports yesterday indicated Matsui was close to signing with the New York Mets. Also, another free agent shortstop, Miguel Tejada, the American League's MVP in 2002 for the Oakland A's, reportedly was in serious negotiations with the Seattle Mariners, another team that had been in the Matsui bidding.

The Dodgers are not alone in their pursuit of Garciaparra. The Anaheim Angels, who had made starting pitching a priority and have already signed free agent Kelvim Escobar in addition to making a reported four-year, $48 million offer to free agent Bartolo Colon, are also in the market for a big bat, and Garciaparra is on their list. It was unclear whether the Angels had gotten to the point of exchanging names, but if they succeed in signing Colon, lefthander Jarrod Washburn is among the players who might be offered in return.

Angels general manager Bill Stoneman, when asked about trade possibilities earlier this week, would not reveal specifics, but as one executive with an American League club said yesterday: "Everybody likes Nomar. Any good offensive player would fit in with the Angels, and I can't believe that if the Red Sox are trying to make a deal, they haven't talked to the Angels."

One major league source with direct knowledge of the Sox' conversations with the Dodgers said a deal was possible, but only if the Sox were able to complete the deal for Rodriguez, the American League's MVP in 2003.

"There's no way the Sox make a Nomar deal otherwise," the source said. "And there are some problems with the Rodriguez thing. Unless someone changes his mind, it's not going to work."

Reports out of Texas yesterday said the Rangers would move A-Rod to the Red Sox, but only if the Sox ate part of Ramirez's contract as well, which at the moment is something the Sox are adamant about not doing. But executives at a number of clubs that have followed the proceedings said they would not be surprised if the Sox eventually find a way to consummate the deal.

Ramirez's agent, Jeff Moorad, wasn't so sure.

"I've stayed in touch with both clubs over the last few days," said Moorad, "and neither seemed optimistic that a deal was imminent." The deal may hinge on the Sox' ability to assist the Rangers financially in their efforts to upgrade their pitching staff.

The Dodgers led the major leagues in pitching last season with a 3.16 ERA, but were last in the major leagues in every meaningful offensive category, including runs, home runs, on-base percentage, and batting average. Garciaparra obviously would give them a spectacular upgrade, one that would allow them to move defensive whiz Cesar Izturis from short to second.

Perez, 26, was paid $3.4 million last season and is eligible for arbitration. He had a 12-12 record and a 4.52 ERA, and became embroiled in some controversy when he complained about his lack of run support.

Perez went 15-10 with a 3.00 ERA in 222 1/3 innings in 2002.

The idea of Nomar in LA would make his value plummet, me thinks. The idea of either Perez or Washburn as a fifth (!!!) starter isn't too bad, either.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:55 am

Hell, I don't care what SS goes to LA. Brings Kaz to the mets. ;D

But, yes, Nomar's value definitely goes down if he goes to the Dodgers, and Perez's value also goes down.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:23 pm

Obviously, Nomar's value takes a hit in LA. Perez takes a hit going to Boston as well.

Not a good fantasy deal at all. I say don't do it. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:49 pm

Madison wrote:Obviously, Nomar's value takes a hit in LA. Perez takes a hit going to Boston as well.

Lol. :D maybe you could switch Nomar to 2B. That's a good fantasy deal. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:23 pm

DK wrote:
Madison wrote:Obviously, Nomar's value takes a hit in LA. Perez takes a hit going to Boston as well.

Or rather, switch him to 3B. IMO there's less depth at 3B than 2B now. Unless I'm forgetting someone, and I probably am, Rolen is the only top 3B that comes to mind (I don't consider Glaus and maybe not even Chavez as top-tier fantasy 3B's), while you have Soriano, Boone and Kent at 2B.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mikcou » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:50 pm

blankman wrote:
DK wrote:

Or rather, switch him to 3B. IMO there's less depth at 3B than 2B now. Unless I'm forgetting someone, and I probably am, Rolen is the only top 3B that comes to mind (I don't consider Glaus and maybe not even Chavez as top-tier fantasy 3B's), while you have Soriano, Boone and Kent at 2B.

After the three second basemen there isnt much at 2B and Teixiera still qualifies at 3B. There is more depth at 3rd than at 2nd.
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:47 pm

Looking really good for the Mets with Kaz Matsui, I am pretty hyped about getting him, but a player who's known for his speed is bound to lose that as he ages and Matsui is 28 I believe. But he does have some pop in his bat, I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit 15-20 HRs in the majors. maybe hit 75 RBIs
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kdawg » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:07 pm

blankman wrote:
DK wrote:

I guess you dont pay any attention to stats. Rolen and Chavez post similar stats as 3B

280 avg, 30 hr, 100+ rbi, 10+ sb

Plus they are both gold glove 3b.
kdawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:12 pm

3B: Rolen, Chavez, Glaus, Blalock, Teixeira, A.Boone, Lowell, A.Ramirez, Dmitri Young

2B: Soriano, B.Boone, Giles, Kent, Castillo, Vidro

Looks like a lot more talent at 3B. And after those 6 2B's, who else are you gonna use? Brian Roberts?

The gap isn't as big between the talent at 3B and 2B as it usually is, but 3B will usually have more talent than 2B, if not always. It just doesn't seem like it since some of the top 3B's struggled last year, and Pujols doesn't qualify anymore :~(

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jivedude » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:14 pm

kdawg wrote:
blankman wrote:
DK wrote:

I guess you dont pay any attention to stats. Rolen and Chavez post similar stats as 3B

280 avg, 30 hr, 100+ rbi, 10+ sb

Plus they are both gold glove 3b.

And don't forget about Hank Blalock! .300 29hr 90 rbi!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers