Would this strategy work (6x6 AL-only H2H)? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would this strategy work (6x6 AL-only H2H)?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would this strategy work (6x6 AL-only H2H)?

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:09 am

We have a 6x6 AL-only head to head league w/ regular 5 hitting cats (plus BB) and regular pitching cats (with ERA/WHIP replaced by hits, BBs, and ER)... 18 IP min per week. 1 point per category win, so 12 points per week possible.

I was thinking of drafting nothing but bats until I fill my offense for the first 10 rounds or so, then I would draft nothing but relievers for 8 rounds - closers and setup guys alike. I figure I can try to get every good ratio setup guy (Zumaya, Shields, Broxton, etc.) along with 2-3 decent closers. I should be able to optimize 5 of the 6 pitching cats while staying near the 18 IP min, and just pickup starters where needed if I get behind in a given week. Then if I punt steals, I can maximize 5 of the 6 hitting cats as well.

I figure this would give me about 9-10 points per week on average, putting me in really good shape on a weekly basis, over the course of the year, and in the playoffs. Obviously, thay assumption is based on my pitching being able to pull off winning 4-5 cats per week.

THoughts?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:15 am

That would be a good strategy, except that I would pick up one stud SP to help you meet your 18 IP every week.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:31 pm

I would not wait till after the 10th round to pick up your closers. With this strategy, you need 1 maybe 2 stud Closers

also I wouldent be punting steals, you can pick one speedster and that should be enough, you're already punting Wins and K's
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby bselig » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:19 pm

great strategy and certainly wait till the tenth round. when you draft closers in bulk like that a couple of them WILL turn out to be studs, and since it's h2h you will have plenty of time to wait them out and see. also maintain activity on the waiver wire when new closers gain jobs. draft zero starting pitchers, however, come playoff time, do not ignore the opportunity to churn in sp's to take an IP lead during a week should one of your opponents attempt to match your relievers only strategy. adjust if need be and destroy your opponents with your stacked lineup of huge batting studs.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Would this strategy work (6x6 AL-only H2H)?

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:28 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:We have a 6x6 AL-only head to head league w/ regular 5 hitting cats (plus BB) and regular pitching cats (with ERA/WHIP replaced by hits, BBs, and ER)... 18 IP min per week. 1 point per category win, so 12 points per week possible.

I was thinking of drafting nothing but bats until I fill my offense for the first 10 rounds or so, then I would draft nothing but relievers for 8 rounds - closers and setup guys alike. I figure I can try to get every good ratio setup guy (Zumaya, Shields, Broxton, etc.) along with 2-3 decent closers. I should be able to optimize 5 of the 6 pitching cats while staying near the 18 IP min, and just pickup starters where needed if I get behind in a given week. Then if I punt steals, I can maximize 5 of the 6 hitting cats as well.

I figure this would give me about 9-10 points per week on average, putting me in really good shape on a weekly basis, over the course of the year, and in the playoffs. Obviously, thay assumption is based on my pitching being able to pull off winning 4-5 cats per week.

THoughts?

Isnt Broxton in the AL?

Not a bad strategy but I dont think Zumaya will even be there in the 10th round for an AL only league.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby davidmarver » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:46 pm

I just did a ten-team AL only draft. A few things to note:

Zumaya went at pick 102. Almost all closers were gone at that point.

You're assumption that you'll win 9-10 points a week is wrong. Just because your team is better than all the others at 5 offensive stats, doesn't mean that your opponents won't have a strong week in a certain stat. If you punt stats, you'll have basically no chance to even luck into a W in those categories in a given week.

If you want to check out how our entire draft went, look at the "Only the Best" Draft Forum. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cobbs87 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:24 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:We have a 6x6 AL-only head to head league w/ regular 5 hitting cats (plus BB) and regular pitching cats (with ERA/WHIP replaced by hits, BBs, and ER)... 18 IP min per week. 1 point per category win, so 12 points per week possible.

THoughts?

Isnt Broxton in the AL?

Not a bad strategy but I dont think Zumaya will even be there in the 10th round for an AL only league.

Broxton is on the Dodgers. NL.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby bselig » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:48 am

I ignored the "al only" aspect of this. I'm not sure you can pull it off...you may have to grab some pitching.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:49 am

Thanks for the feedback... and obviously yes, Broxton is in the NL.

Zumaya at 102... yowza. Might need to rethink this, though I'm sure he's the exception. Guys like Shields and Duchscherer must go a few rounds later.

Thinking more about it, with only 14 closers in the AL, if I want to go with a reliever-heavy strategy I better grab some good closers much earlier. I may go heavy on the bats for 4-5 rounds, then go closers for a couple of rounds, then balance things after that between MR and more offense.

Thanks guys
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers