the A-rod thing seems more and more likely to happen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the A-rod thing seems more and more likely to happen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Swinger » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:38 pm

Gang Green wrote:A-Rod wants out of Texas. Manny and the Red Sox want Manny out of Boston. Nomar probably has ideas about heading home to the left coast. Why allow A-Rod to meet with Henry if there isn't a good chance of the deal going through?


I mostly agree. But the more people and teams a trade involves, the harder it is to follow through with it.
It depends on how much the Sox are willing to pay for Manny's contract, too, Mad.. don't call it dumb until you see how it plays out. Alex leaving texas is the one thing I think will happen. 120 days to decide (well.. not exactly.. spring training).
Even Madison is susceptible to being wrong.. however unlikely that seems.. O:-)
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 808
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:27 am

Some rumors have this happening as a 4-way trade between Boston, LA, Oakland and Texas. Let's see if I can reconstruct it.

Nomah to LA, Odalis Perez (?) to Oakland, Blanton (or some other prospects) to Texas, A Rod to Boston.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would Oakland want Perez when it's got the 4 headed beast of Zito, Hudson, Mulder and Harden? Perez would be a nice addition to that crew, I guess. Perez is also a free agent after next season (I think? Anybody know?), which would make him attractive to Beane (draft pick compensation after someone else signs him).

But what the heck. Give Beane a call. If there's a deal to be made, Beane will grease the wheels, move some players around and pick up another cheap player for the A's.

I think the most likely scenario in which A Rod moves involves the Angels, Kennedy (or Eckstein - are they the same player?), and Nomah. I'd be pretty surprised if A Rod wasn't a Ranger next season.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:31 am

Well guys, I talked to some people about the trade tonight who are privy to more information than some of us. They have told me a few things in the past that have turned out to be true. Looks like Boston might pay somewhere between $5-$10 million of Manny's salary and take Arod's contract.

Now at this point, it would be a good deal for the Rangers. They still have a big bat in the lineup and they will save $10-$15 million per year depending on exactly how much of Ramirez's contract Boston takes. That buys some pitching and makes the deal worth doing.

Some of you didn't like the fact that I called the move "dumb" by the Red Sox, but I just don't believe this is a "smart" move. They would essentially be paying Arod $30 to $35 million a year, depending on how much of Manny's contract they pick up. Sorry, just not a "smart" move in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Greenrider » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:23 am

ramble2 wrote:Some rumors have this happening as a 4-way trade between Boston, LA, Oakland and Texas. Let's see if I can reconstruct it.

Nomah to LA, Odalis Perez (?) to Oakland, Blanton (or some other prospects) to Texas, A Rod to Boston.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.


That can't possibly be right - Boston gives up Manny and Nomar for...A-Rod? No - Boston is going to get something for Nomar, and no one quite knows what at this point, but it's just aimless speculation at this point considering the fact that the first deal hasn't been done yet.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:32 am

Greenrider wrote:
ramble2 wrote:Some rumors have this happening as a 4-way trade between Boston, LA, Oakland and Texas. Let's see if I can reconstruct it.

Nomah to LA, Odalis Perez (?) to Oakland, Blanton (or some other prospects) to Texas, A Rod to Boston.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.


That can't possibly be right - Boston gives up Manny and Nomar for...A-Rod? No - Boston is going to get something for Nomar, and no one quite knows what at this point, but it's just aimless speculation at this point considering the fact that the first deal hasn't been done yet.


This scenario would not have Manny leaving Boston.

After reading Madison's post, though, perhaps the likeliest scenario is Boston agreeing to pay $5 - $10 million of Manny's salary. That's just ridiculous. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that is ridiculous. Why not just sign Vlad?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby Greenrider » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:07 am

ramble2 wrote:After reading Madison's post, though, perhaps the likeliest scenario is Boston agreeing to pay $5 - $10 million of Manny's salary. That's just ridiculous. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that is ridiculous. Why not just sign Vlad?


I'm having trouble following your reasoning...first of all, there has been no mention of any A-Rod deal *not* involving Manny in any major outlet that I have seen, at least not since the very first formative stages a month ago, when no one knew what was going on aside from the fact that A-Rod wanted out.

Second of all, what does Vlad have to do with anything? Vlad is going to ask a minimum of $13 mil/per, and taking him on instead of doing the A-Rod deal would mean that the Sox are still saddled with Manny's poor attitude, and are putting themselves in a position where they are overloaded with overpriced outfielders and cannot resign Nomar, Lowe, Pedro, etc. This makes no sense to me at all, but maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:22 pm

Greenrider wrote:
ramble2 wrote:After reading Madison's post, though, perhaps the likeliest scenario is Boston agreeing to pay $5 - $10 million of Manny's salary. That's just ridiculous. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that is ridiculous. Why not just sign Vlad?


I'm having trouble following your reasoning...first of all, there has been no mention of any A-Rod deal *not* involving Manny in any major outlet that I have seen, at least not since the very first formative stages a month ago, when no one knew what was going on aside from the fact that A-Rod wanted out.

Second of all, what does Vlad have to do with anything? Vlad is going to ask a minimum of $13 mil/per, and taking him on instead of doing the A-Rod deal would mean that the Sox are still saddled with Manny's poor attitude, and are putting themselves in a position where they are overloaded with overpriced outfielders and cannot resign Nomar, Lowe, Pedro, etc. This makes no sense to me at all, but maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.


Actually, there have been several rumors involving A Rod being moved in 3 or 4 way trade that doesn't involve Manny. Here's another one:

newsday wrote:In these discussions, the Rangers would send Rodriguez to the Red Sox, Boston would ship superstar shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to Anaheim and the Angels would send shortstop David Eckstein and a few pitchers to Texas.

The Rangers would get the raw end of the deal in terms of talent, but they would free themselves of the infamous 10-year, $252-million deal Rodriguez signed three years ago. He has seven years and $189 million left on the contract - he can opt out after 2007 - so the Rangers would have to ship money to the team that takes him.


There are all kinds of rumors flying around about this. Who knows which of them are speculation and which are grounded in actual discussions. I was actually pointing out how ridiculous some (most) of these trade rumors were. As I stated above, the most likely scenario has Manny and money going to Texas for A Rod.

As for my second point, if the Red Sox agree to take on A Rod's contract and pay for $10 million of Manny's contract (while he plays for the Rangers) that is a huge amount of money to pay for a SS. You would essentially be paying $35 million a season for A Rod to be your SS. That's an increase in payroll of $15 million. Plus, A Rod's salary increases over the life of the contract, whereas Manny's salary decreases, meaning the payroll increase grows over the life of the contract.

I suppose I should have been more explicit what I meant when I wrote 'why not just sign Vlad?'. For the payroll increase the Red Sox will see in trading Manny for A Rod while agreeing to pay $10 million of Manny's salary, you could probably sign Vlad (or come close).

Would it make sense for the Red Sox to sign Vlad instead of trading for A Rod? Probably not - although who wouldn't want him in their lineup. Would it make sense for the Red Sox to trade Manny + $10 million a year for A Rod? Not unless you've got money to burn. Which I guess the Red Sox do. $30-35 million for SS? In today's market? Ridiculous. How many MLB payrolls are under that?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby bell » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:26 pm

From what I understand, Vlad wouldn't sign with Boston if they were to pursue such a scenario for the same reason he wouldn't sign with the Yankees: being front and center.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 10:16 hours
(and 100 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact