the A-rod thing seems more and more likely to happen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the A-rod thing seems more and more likely to happen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the A-rod thing seems more and more likely to happen

Postby Greenrider » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:08 am

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/r ... icleid=383

still a long shot, but now I'd say it's up from a 10% chance to a 35% chance. would be very interesting to see the shockwaves from this deal if it happened, to say the least.

In the surest sign yet that the Red Sox [stats, schedule] and Texas Rangers have reached the critical stages of talks that would bring shortstop Alex Rodriguez to Boston for Manny Ramirez [stats, news], sources in and out of baseball have revealed that Rodriguez has met recently with Sox principal owner John Henry to discuss the possibility of playing for the Red Sox.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:28 am

It probably won't happen. See: Madison's comments.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:48 am

DK wrote:It probably won't happen. See: Madison's comments.

Perhaps, but as the article states, Arod could not meet with Henry without permission from the Rangers. I think we have to believe that the Rangers want to get rid of that contract more than we have previously thought--Mad included. :-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:49 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
DK wrote:It probably won't happen. See: Madison's comments.

Perhaps, but as the article states, Arod could not meet with Henry without permission from the Rangers. I think we have to believe that the Rangers want to get rid of that contract more than we have previously thought--Mad included. :-D

Maybe A-Rod should talk to Mad. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eftda » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:10 pm

Well, since it has dragged on this long i think it will happen. We should take a poll
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:47 pm

The only way it happens is if Boston is dumb enough to pay part of Manny's contract. I just don't think it's going to happen. The Boston fans seem to think it will happen, but I'm giving management the benefit of the doubt that they are not dumb enough to pay Arod's contract and part of Manny's. I just do not see it happening. Then again, if Boston wants him that bad............
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:30 pm

Madison wrote:The only way it happens is if Boston is dumb enough to pay part of Manny's contract. I just don't think it's going to happen. The Boston fans seem to think it will happen, but I'm giving management the benefit of the doubt that they are not dumb enough to pay Arod's contract and part of Manny's. I just do not see it happening. Then again, if Boston wants him that bad............

They'd have to trade Nomah to make room, but A-Rod is A-Rod.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Greenrider » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:46 pm

Madison wrote:The only way it happens is if Boston is dumb enough to pay part of Manny's contract. I just don't think it's going to happen. The Boston fans seem to think it will happen, but I'm giving management the benefit of the doubt that they are not dumb enough to pay Arod's contract and part of Manny's. I just do not see it happening. Then again, if Boston wants him that bad............

I don't think "dumb" is the right word to use - nobody knows the economics of Boston better than the Boston owners and management, so I trust that they will not do the deal if it hamstrings their financial flexibility. The consensus now is that if A-Rod drops his option years and re-signs for a smaller extension, the Sox would then have enough room to toss the Rangers a few more million out of Manny's contract to make it work. If A-Rod wants it badly enough and orders Boras to do it, it can get done.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gang Green » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:05 pm

A-Rod wants out of Texas. Manny and the Red Sox want Manny out of Boston. Nomar probably has ideas about heading home to the left coast. Why allow A-Rod to meet with Henry if there isn't a good chance of the deal going through? I say there will be a 3 way A-Rod/Manny/Nomar trade. Nomar will get shipped to Anaheim. Eckstein will come and play 2nd base for the Sox next year. Pitching from Anaheim will then be sent to Texas along with Manny and A-Rod will be in Boston.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby M_Zimm » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:29 pm

If A-Rod says anything else about wanting to leave I think it will be more likely. I don't think money is really an object for Boston so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pay part of Manny's contract.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers