Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:31 am

timkell wrote:BTW, sorry if my posts today have been a bit less friendly than usual. Nothing personal to anyone. Just venting!

TIM If i was a NYY fan, i would love and defend the system too, just like NYY do. Yes, the Tigers and Brewers are poorly run. But tell me you believe that all 30 teams can sport a 120 mil payroll? And even that is about 40 mil short of NY.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:43 am

HOOTIE wrote:
timkell wrote:BTW, sorry if my posts today have been a bit less friendly than usual. Nothing personal to anyone. Just venting!

TIM If i was a NYY fan, i would love and defend the system too, just like NYY do. Yes, the Tigers and Brewers are poorly run. But tell me you believe that all 30 teams can sport a 120 mil payroll? And even that is about 40 mil short of NY.

There is much more to it than just money. Those teams are run like.......Well, you know. It's about spending your money smartly. Maybe those teams can't be in contention but how about 20 games by July? That's a start.

I repeat, Hootie, that you wish that your team had an owner that cared and spent like George does. You can't deny that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby timkell » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:50 pm

TIM If i was a NYY fan, i would love and defend the system too, just like NYY do. Yes, the Tigers and Brewers are poorly run. But tell me you believe that all 30 teams can sport a 120 mil payroll?

Actually, for the most part, yes, every owner could. The only ones that can't are the ones owned by corporations that expect baseball to improve the bottom line.

These guys are all fabulously wealthy. Steinbrenner, when he first took over the Yankees, a team at probably the lowest point in its history since before Bae Ruth, knew the potential of the NY market. He lost money for years, but he didn't care. He knew if he kept investing, he's get his money's worth. And eventually, he ended up not caring at all about expense. He just wants to win now.

Of course, with YES, etc. he has plenty of money, so he doesn't have to care. People thought he was crazy to start YES. He takes a huge risk, it pays off, and then people say it's unfair he makes so much money.

Yes, the Yankees can afford more than anybody else, but it's not just because they're lucky. It's because George has made the absolute most out of his market. Plenty of other teams don't come close to doing that in their markets. Sure, the max may be less than NY, but if St. Louis can be a big/mid market team, why can't the others?

If an owner isn't willing to have at least a $60-70 million payroll, why is he a baseball owner? Get out of the sport, and sell to someone who wants to win.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:51 pm

DK wrote:Are you snowed in like I?

Nope. Rained in in San Francisco.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:55 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

Who do you root for HOOTIE? Have you ever told us?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:57 pm

DK wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

I have wondered the same thing as well. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:19 pm

DK wrote:

I don't think i ever have.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:22 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
I repeat, Hootie, that you wish that your team had an owner that cared and spent like George does. You can't deny that.

I think the other 29 teams wish that they could match George as well, thats not being contended. It's a pipe dream to actually believe that it's possible.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:27 pm

timkell wrote:
TIM If i was a NYY fan, i would love and defend the system too, just like NYY do. Yes, the Tigers and Brewers are poorly run. But tell me you believe that all 30 teams can sport a 120 mil payroll?

Actually, for the most part, yes, every owner could. The only ones that can't are the ones owned by corporations that expect baseball to improve the bottom line.

These guys are all fabulously wealthy.

They are wealthy, but they didn't get that way spending 120 mil, with a 80 mil return. I think it's impossible for all 30 teams to hit 100 mil, let alone 120 mil. The revenue in places like TB, Montreal, KC, just isn't enough to pay for 100 payroll.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:21 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
DK wrote:

I don't think i ever have.

Nice evasion... :-b Seriously, who is HOOTIE's team?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers