Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby One More Beer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:16 pm

What I think should happen is Daniel Snyder should buy the Orioles. He will then make their payroll $400 million dollars. George will then go to $500 million dollars. Baseball will be forced to step in and do something. Its worth a shot.

Exactly.

I am not trying to start a war here fella's, but even the most astute fan has to realize that something must be done about the finances of baseball.

What fun is it for fan of the smaller market teams knowing that, under normal circumstances, they head into each season with no chance of winning?

Some talk as if a small market team just spends the money to bring in big ticket players will do the trick. But did they consider that you to this you must first have the working capital to do so? If it were that simple, don't you think it could be done also in our personal lives? Yeah, I'd love to have a Saleen S7 to drive around in, but I just happen to be a little short of $400,000.

If it takes bazillionaires to own a team, they are smarter then investing in a baseball team that is in so much finicial trouble. They made their money being wise, not stupid.

As it stands, you have your "haves" and "have nots". Personally it turns me off. This from a die hard baseball fan.

As stated earlier, there will be teams where a few smaller market teams make a run, the odds let things like this happen. But normally, year after year, it is the same teams over and over.

Even things out. Give the small market teams a chance to compete. Let them build their fan base by doing so for the love of the game, not who spends the most money.
One More Beer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:09 pm

DK wrote:Look at the Yankees. 200 Million payroll. And they lose to a no-name team with heart. Two of their best players came (Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis) from AA that year. Prospects can make or break a season, depending on how well they do.

Wow, I would have thought that the free agent signing of Juan Pierre and Ivan Rodriguez would have been mentioned. Same goes for the emergence of Lowell last year.

The Marlins won as a team. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:11 pm

DK wrote:
One More Beer wrote:The NFL is the best sport in the world for a reason, they have a cap that works!

I just lost respect for the rest of your posts. :-t

I'm not so sure about a cap that doesn't allow teams to keep their star players for their whole career. :-/

A baseball player can still stay with the same team his whole career and be compensated at least close to fair market value. Not that way in football.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:55 pm

Madison wrote:
DK wrote:Look at the Yankees. 200 Million payroll. And they lose to a no-name team with heart. Two of their best players came (Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis) from AA that year. Prospects can make or break a season, depending on how well they do.

Wow, I would have thought that the free agent signing of Juan Pierre and Ivan Rodriguez would have been mentioned. Same goes for the emergence of Lowell last year.

Agreed although Pierre was a trade, no? 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:03 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:

Agreed although Pierre was a trade, no? 8-o

I didn't think so, but maybe I got it confused. :-? I just remember that I had an eye on Lowell after the '02 season, and when Pierre and Pudge were added, his value skyrocketed on my charts. Of course, I got him late in all my drafts. :-)

Was it a trade? I honestly don't remember. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:08 pm

I am pretty sure that they got Pierre for Preston Wilson.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Gang Green » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:40 pm

:-P :-P :-P :-P
Please!!! Enough from Mets fans talking about how they have a stacked farm system. Your team is the Titanic of MLB. The only reason you are going this route is because the free agent/trade route blew up in your face! Cedeno, Burnitz, Alomar & Vaughn (he's actually talking about trying to play this year, how sweet would that be) were disasters.
Reyes MAY be the real deal. You can't claim Reyes will be a superstar from such a small amount of games played. Also, success at the minor league level DOESN'T CORRELATE to success at the major league level. How did minor league stud Heilman work out this year? You could have hit his stuff out of the park.
Lastly, the Yankees have won 4 of the past 8 World Series. You are going to put them down for not winning all the other ones? That's idiotic at best. Let me tell you something, the Yankees came within one game of winning the whole thing this year. They have added Sheffield, Vasquez, Gordon and Quantrill. The Mets, who were a 100 million dollar DISGRACE last year, have done NOTHING! They have all these revenue streams from being in New York, but they are going to choose to do nothing because they are going to build a champion with just rookies from their farm system? Hogwash. You know what they are going to do? Sign Trot Nixon to a non-tender contract in a few weeks. Whoopee! One last thing, if they are going to go to a youth movement, then why have Trachsel,Glavine, or Piazza on your team? Are you/they sure that they know what they are doing? Enough from what got flushed down the toilet in Flushing.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:13 pm

DK wrote:
One More Beer wrote:
DK wrote:
One More Beer wrote:The NFL is the best sport in the world for a reason, they have a cap that works!

Do you want me to give you the reasons Baseball is better than Football? I could give you a hundred. Probably more.

We are diehard bb fans, of course bb is better in our minds. I'm not sure BB current system is better. Has the NFL had 9 strikes? Cancelled a Super Bowl? You can argue dynasties are good for sports, i like parity and turnover myself. In all honesty, what glimmer of hope does a Tiger or Brewer fan have? I know the agrument will be, the Angels and Marlins won. There are always exceptions. The diffrence between now and say 10-15 years ago, is that then the diffrence in payroll was a 3-1 ratio. Now you have a payroll disparity of a 8-1 ratio. Baseball unions have got to quit driving fans away. The 94 strike lost the fringe fans. I think you need a minimum, and maximum cap. If i was a Brewer or Tiger fan, i would get my swimming trunks out, and head for the beach this summer. I know their feeling, i grew up with the 70 and 80 Indians. I know the bleakness, the dispair, that once week 3 hits, the seasons over.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:34 pm

Hmm, so what do we do, just cut Piazza, Trachsel, and Glavine? Mike can still be productive playing another position, after he gets his home run record at catcher. Trachsel, hmmmmmmm, lets see he won 16 games on a team that won 66, thats not too bad in my book. Glavine, well I didn't understand that myself but what can I say, the Wilpons or Phillips or someone thought it was a good idea to sign a 37 year old pitcher to a multiyear, multi million dollar contract.

And why shouldn't we mention our farm system. We have a lot of promising players in the minors. And as faar as Heilman, can a rookie have a bad year. Oh I forgot, Greg Maddux was lights out his rookie year? Oh, he wasn't my bad. Well then there was RJ, oh wait never mind, how about Curt Schilling, hmmm.

Yes the Mets have made a lot of bad decisions, paying 100 million for a team that won 66 games is disgraceful. Mo I could have seen happening, but who thought Alomar would play as bad as he did? Who would have take a bet if I offered you Tom Glavine at 9 - 14 and a 4.50+ ERA? Not many I am sure. Burnitz was playing very well when he left us for the Dodgers. Cedeno, well as much as a disgrace as he has been did steal 66 for Detroit the year before we signed him, who could have said he would just stop? If you are as all knowing as all you seem to be, then I expect to see you as a GM here soon. Please post here to let me know when you are so I can offer proper congratulations.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:35 pm

Bah, hate when they sneak me out of being logged in.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers