Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:46 am

Greenrider wrote:lol...sorry about that - I was quoting a reputable book on the NY Times bestseller list, though! :-b

No problem....I have read the same quote too...Just some quotes...well you know...... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:49 am

Greenrider wrote: A deft jab at both parties, but let's not forget that it was Billy himself (in perhaps the single most hypocritical moment of his life), who said that he could have beaten the Sox if he only had more money.

Wasn't that hilarious ??....... ;-D 50 mill I remember ... Billy, was ashamed ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:07 am

Kwaziwampo, I have gained a lot of respect for you. Any Yankee fan who says he respects the Sox is good in my book.

But three words:

Baltimore, Tampa, Toronto

If only Boston and New York are in the race, it will be no fun for these three teams. Again. I'd rather see everybody in the race, I'd rather see everyone 81-81 than some teams at 162-0 and some teams at 0-162. It gets to be boring when it's like that.

As for my Mets, it's true we've made some mistakes. But look at our future. Our farm system is stocked, and Kazmir is crazy good. Royce Ring is future closer. Lastings Milledge is a freak. Jose Reyes, he's 19 (20?) and already good enough for the majors. We're doing what I've said we have to do: Work the farm system, bring up the prospects.

Look at the Yankees. 200 Million payroll. And they lose to a no-name team with heart. Two of their best players came (Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis) from AA that year. Prospects can make or break a season, depending on how well they do.

I'd rather have a $50 million payroll with a team with great chemistry and heart then a stacked $200 million lineup. And that was proven in 2001, with Gonzo and the D'Backs. That was proven in 2002, with Anaheim (jeez, that team barreled through the Yanks). And once again, it was proven by the Florida Marlins in 2003, a team who has more heart than any team I've seen in a long time.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby One More Beer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:48 am

BS

Money DOES matter.

Spending it wisely matters even more.

Yes, once in awhile a team like the Marlins will slip through the cracks, but over all, teams now buy their championships.

If something isn't done, the small market teams will either fade away because they can't compete on a level playing field. Small market teams will lose their fan base. Small market teams will go the way of the Expos and only be used to fertilize other teams with players once they can't afford them.

People need to think in terms of what is best for the game as a whole, not for the select few.

The NFL is the best sport in the world for a reason, they have a cap that works!
One More Beer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:50 am

One More Beer wrote:The NFL is the best sport in the world for a reason, they have a cap that works!

I just lost respect for the rest of your posts. :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Add the BoSox to the teams I Respect...(As a Yankee fan)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:04 pm

Great post. And Kwazi, I respect the Yanks, too. I love the rivalry, the feuds... But, I want to make this clear: That does not mean I like losing. (Those people who think Bostonians like to lose are absolute morons and don't understand Boston fans.

Kwaziwampo wrote: Sox fans are brought up with the same hatred, but somewhere deap down there's a mutual respect, us to them as baseball fans.

Yankee fans apologized to me for Grady Little at the ALCS. Hows that for respect? Sure I left to "1918" and other chants, but the same thing would have happened in Boston.

Kwaziwampo wrote: When you get past Steinbrenner, and 1918, there is empathy as a Yankee fan. The two franchises are forever intertwinned. What fun would it be to be a Yankee fan if the Red Sox weren't there? Got to get up for that big Yankee/Oriole rivalry...don't think so.

Baseball need more rivalries like this.

Kwaziwampo wrote:Maybe St. Louis, but I can't think of a more knowlegable fan then a Red Sox fan. I suppose 84 years of pain will do that to someone. You can't look at the flags saying world champ, so you look at Yaz's numbers. Sox fans are diehards, as are Yankees fans...

How true; the idea that Sox fans were chatting with Schilling at 4 in the morning tells you something--and they didn't know he'd be there. They were there on their own.

Kwaziwampo wrote:quick who won the Super Bowl last year. Who won the year before?

That's easy. My Patriots. :-D

Kwaziwampo wrote:I hope their payroll is $200 million just like the Yankees.

Gotta disagree with you there. :-D

And, One More Beer, you sound like Selig, calling the Marlins, A's, Twins, etc. "aberrartions."
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby One More Beer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:07 pm

DK wrote:
One More Beer wrote:The NFL is the best sport in the world for a reason, they have a cap that works!

Yeah, it's tough to root for a game that has fair balance huh?

On any given Sunday........
One More Beer

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:18 pm

One More Beer wrote:
DK wrote:

Do you want me to give you the reasons Baseball is better than Football? I could give you a hundred. Probably more.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:44 pm

DK wrote:
One More Beer wrote:
DK wrote:

Do you want me to give you the reasons Baseball is better than Football? I could give you a hundred. Probably more.

I'll settle for 99 :)

Postby Gang Green » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:28 pm

I'm kind of caught in the middle of this football/baseball discussion. Football is my favorite sport but the best rivalry in all of sports is Yankees/Red Sox hands down. When the 180 million dollar Yankees beat up on the $20 million dollar Devil Rays in the Bronx in the middle of June, its hard to get pumped up about that. Every week in the NFL, each team has a shot at winning the game.
However, nothing beats sitting in the upper deck at Yankee stadium of a Red Sox/Yankee game. Whether the Sox are winning or losing, you will inevitably see some Red Sox fans being dragged out by security frothing at the mouth with their hatred of the Yanks spewing out. While I consider these people my enemy, on some level deep within, I have tremendous respect for their passion and knowledge.
What I think should happen is Daniel Snyder should buy the Orioles. He will then make their payroll $400 million dollars. George will then go to $500 million dollars. Baseball will be forced to step in and do something. Its worth a shot.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers