Fantasy Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Ethics

Postby mtarail » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:55 pm

I'm in a fantasy hoops league but this question applies to any sport and you guys give better answers than the hoops cafe. ;-)

If you are involved in a trade that has been accepted and is in the middle of the waiting period while it is processed and the player that you are giving up gets injured, is it OK to let the trade go through or should you give the player back? (The player I'm giving up doesn't have a season-ending injury or anything. Just an ankle sprain that probably won't sideline him for more than a week or two at the most.)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:01 am

The trade has already been offered and accepted, then the injury happened?

If so, then it's really just tough luck for the person getting the injured player since the injury occurred after the trade was accepted.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mtarail » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:03 am

Exactly. He offered. I accepted. Glad to hear I get to keep the player I received. ;-D
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:05 am

Yeah, as long as the injury occurred after the trade was offered and accepted.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ramble2 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:06 am

When I'm faced with that situation I usually offer to nix the deal. If it's only a minor injury, it's been my experience that the trade still goes through. The only time I had a deal canceled in a situation like that it involved Billy Wagner. He went on to finish the season huge.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby kentx12 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:08 am

Madison wrote:The trade has already been offered and accepted, then the injury happened?

If so, then it's really just tough luck for the person getting the injured player since the injury occurred after the trade was accepted.

I couldn't have said it beter.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Greenrider » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:10 am

I don't think you have any ethical obligation to offer to cancel the trade, but there may be political considerations at work - i.e. if the deal is a minor one, and you want to ensure that the person will trade with you in the future by giving them the concession of undoing the trade.

Perhaps that is opportunistic thinking, but again, I don't see any ethical obligation to cancel the trade since the contract has already been formed, whether or not the exchange has taken place.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:17 am

Last season, I had a similar problem...

I included Oliver Perez in a trade and he was sent to the minors right after the voting period was underway. Out of guilt, I sent the owner a list of three pitchers, one of which he could choose to have substituted for Perez. He selected Zack Day instead and we were both content.

Your resolution options are dependent on how you want to be viewed in your league.

If you want to be sportsmanlike, you should at least address the situation with the other owner and make sure that there are not going to be any significant qualms with the trade.

If you want to be buisnessmanlike, do not let the issue get near your soft side and tell the other owner, "sorry you commited to the deal and my player's injury occurred after our agreement".
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mtarail » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:27 am

It's a public league, so I'm not too concerned about image. However, I believe in sportsmanship. I'll wait to see what the injury report is tomorrow (for anyone interested, the player I'm giving up is Amare Stoudamire), and take it from there. Thanks for the input.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bell » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:30 am

mtarail wrote:It's a public league, so I'm not too concerned about image. However, I believe in sportsmanship. I'll wait to see what the injury report is tomorrow (for anyone interested, the player I'm giving up is Amare Stoudamire), and take it from there. Thanks for the input.

Whew! What a game the Suns played tonight! :-)
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers