stats question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stats question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

stats question

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:13 pm

i have noticed alot of people say they use excel to keep stats.. i know how to use excel but i was interested in what you do with excel.. do you guys just keep lists of the players or what.. i would like any info or tips you guys have for me.. thanks in advance
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:54 pm

Excel is nice to use because you can establish standard columns and make changes easily.

There are a ton of fantasy baseball related uses for excel.

Draft Sheets
I used Mircosoft Word for my draft sheet last season :-S . This season I am doing all of my draft sheets on excel. It is much easier to format them on excel.

Stat Sheets
If you search hard enough, you will be able to download MLB stats sheets for every player on every team that are already formatted in excel.

There are tons of other useful applications of excel! Try some! It is fun ;-D .
Last edited by shortsavage on Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:59 pm

thanks .. now i have another question.. i got stats for every pitcher and hitter last year in excel format.. i dont kno the formula to sort by a certain stat .. i only learned to do sums and vlookups and i dont even remember all of it.. can someone please explain to me how to sort by hrs or n e category.. becuase when i got to sort it just sorts the column but then the hrs dont match the players.. i appreciate n e help u guys can give me.. thanks
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:39 am

L0rdB23 wrote:thanks .. now i have another question.. i got stats for every pitcher and hitter last year in excel format.. i dont kno the formula to sort by a certain stat .. i only learned to do sums and vlookups and i dont even remember all of it.. can someone please explain to me how to sort by hrs or n e category.. becuase when i got to sort it just sorts the column but then the hrs dont match the players.. i appreciate n e help u guys can give me.. thanks

I would help but I am lost too. I guess my way of ranking is old school. I sit down after all free agents sign, take a printout of sportsline, yahoo, and espn rankings, add gut feeling predictions and minor league stats, and make 1 hell of a big notebook. After that I try to list players in diffrent stages at a posistion depending on how deep that posistion is then rank by what posistions I need to take in what order. That gives me an idea of a strategy but it never works. At least I have the players ranked the way I want them.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby L0rdB23 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:43 am

kentx12 wrote:I would help but I am lost too. I guess my way of ranking is old school. I sit down after all free agents sign, take a printout of sportsline, yahoo, and espn rankings, add gut feeling predictions and minor league stats, and make 1 hell of a big notebook. After that I try to list players in diffrent stages at a posistion depending on how deep that posistion is then rank by what posistions I need to take in what order. That gives me an idea of a strategy but it never works. At least I have the players ranked the way I want them.

that is the way i usually do it but i figure it would save so much time on the computer but im beginnging to think its easier doing it old school.. as long as its baseball i dont care how much time i spend on it tho.. the more ways i learn the better .. lol ..
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Siege1386 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:05 am

Excel Stats:
http://www.letsplay2.com/baseball/stats.cfm

All the Information you need to know about Excel:

Basically a formula is an equation or calculation.
Formulas always begin with the equals sign = , this is set-up to let Excel know that a formula is about to begin.
Symbols for basic calculations are:

Adding symbol is + sign.

Minus symbol is - sign.

Multiplication symbol is * sign

Division symbol is / sign.

When you have completed your formula you will need to press the enter key or click the red check mark at the top IMPORTANT: DO NOT CLICK ANOTHER CELL WHILE ENTERING A FORMULA, because that cell reference will appear in the formula.
Sample formulas: No Spaces!!
=2+5 add
=10-5 minus
=10*500 multiply
=500/10 divide

To add/minus/multiply/divide cells go into the formula bar type =, click the first cell in your equation, type the function you want (+,-,/,*) and then click the next cell in your equation. You can use ( ) for your order of operations and such.

Once you make one formula you can then copy and paste if you need the same formula in other cells and it will automatically adjust the cells it adds.

I hope this helps.

What you could do is give points for certain categories and then use a formula to multiply the amount of points by your projections in your spread sheet or last years statistics, and then sort. If I confused you more, than I am sorry.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:05 am

Hey Siege,

How do I set up a range based equation? I want to have an equation that recognizes different age values and equates them to points.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:29 am

Thanks .. siege ...

forumlas can be tough at first ... but you'll get the hand of them real quick ... I think MLB has a list of them ...
an easy sample using excell...

I want to see home many homeruns per at ab each player got .. or HR/AB ... I'm sure you have heard of this ...

open up your excell and get to the top of the page for all batters ..

in the first blank column ... (should be row 1) type HR/AB ... Directly below that we are going to start a formula .. the 'CEll' (as they are called) should be blank (This should be row 2, column say ... k )so row 2 column K.
Now locate which column has HR's ..... maybe its coulmn F maybe it's coulmn H, for our example its H ... and locat which column has AB's ... our example will be coulmn G ... do ya folow me .. so far?

time to type a formula ...... back to our hypothectical coulmn ... 'K,2'
or column k ... row two written "K,2" in k,2 type =g2/h2
that's it ..hit enter the formula is AB/HR ... ,..

-------------------------------------------------------
filters .....

Click on the very top left hand side .. just above and to the left of A,1 ... the whole range of cells should go dark. ... On the tool bar, click data, then filter, then turn on the auto filter ... ;-D each coulmn should now have a little arrow on it. it will allow you to sort real quick.... click top 10 and ask for the top 10 pct HRs ... play around here all ya want .... just don't delete info from here ...

Here you ask excell .... who are the batters that batted .300 and above .... had 15 hr's and a OBP of .400 ... It will tell ya .....using filters ...

if you get lost in the filters .... just go and turn the off and all your data is back to normal, then turn the 'auto filter' on again ... :-)

hope this helps ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:01 am

wrveres wrote:Thanks .. siege ...

forumlas can be tough at first ... but you'll get the hand of them real quick ... I think MLB has a list of them ...

I want to see home many homeruns per at ab each player got .. or HR/AB ... I'm sure you have heard of this ...

in the first blank column ... (should be row 1) type HR/AB ... Directly below that we are going to start a formula .. the 'CEll' (as they are called) should be blank (This should be row 2, column say ... k )so row 2 column K.
Now locate which column has HR's ..... maybe its coulmn F maybe it's coulmn H, for our example its H ... and locat which column has AB's ... our example will be coulmn G ... do ya folow me .. so far?

filters .....

Click on the very top left hand side .. just above and to the left of A,1 ... the whole range of cells should go dark. ... On the tool bar, click data, then filter, then turn on the auto filter ... ;-D each coulmn should now have a little arrow on it. it will allow you to sort real quick.... click top 10 and ask for the top 10 pct HRs ... play around here all ya want .... just don't delete info from here ...

Here you ask excell .... who are the batters that batted .300 and above .... had 15 hr's and a OBP of .400 ... It will tell ya .....using filters ...

if you get lost in the filters .... just go and turn the off and all your data is back to normal, then turn the 'auto filter' on again ... :-)

hope this helps ...
Easy enough....... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:09 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
wrveres wrote:Thanks .. siege ...

filters .....

hope this helps ...
Easy enough....... ;-)

is it ? cus now that I read it ... it looks real confusing .. :-o Bad spelling and all

I can't shake this damn karma ... :~(
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers