Rate my H2HWS California Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my H2HWS California Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm looking to repeat as California champion in the Cafe's H2H World Series and we just had our 20-round live draft today.

6x6 12-team H2H redraft (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS; W, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP)

Here's what I did with the 8th overall pick:

C - Jorge Posada (15.08)
1B - Adam Laroche (10.05)
2B - Brian Roberts (6.05)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (1.08)
SS - Jimmy Rollins (4.05)
CF - Vernon Wells (3.08)
OF - Hideki Matsui (5.05)
OF - Raul Ibanez (18.05)
UTIL - Travis Hafner (2.05)

BN - Rickie Weeks (12.05)
BN - Joe Crede (19.08)

SP - Matt Cain (7.08)
SP - C.C. Sabathia (8.05)
RP - Todd Jones (13.08)
RP - Jason Isringhausen (14.05)
P - Aaron Harang (9.08)
P - Curt Schilling (11.08)

BN - Mike Mussina (16.05)
BN - Kerry Wood (17.08)
BN - Rafael Soriano (20.05)

It was quite an odd draft overall as a few guys had awful pre-rankings and glitches with the Yahoo draft system, but I feel pretty good about this team. I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.

At any rate, I believe this team should contend.

Any thoughts, opinions, comments, and concerns? I'll gladly respond to your thread if you leave me a link. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MaggsIsMint » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:16 pm

I like your team. You have a solid lineup top-to-bottom. Your team is not gonna burn up the base paths but you have enough speed to be competitive I think while being in a good position to win every other hitting cat each week.

Your pitching could probably use a bit of work but I still like what you have coming out of the draft. Your 1-4 are all solid and Cain and Sabathia even have some significant upside to boot. Your relievers are mediocre but that is only a small problem

Obviously you don't need to have both Roberts and Weeks so I assume you are already looking to move one of them. Personally I would go after some bullpen help or a 4th outfielder. Crede also serves little purpose IMO.

Overall, I would assume you are a solid contender.

Here is mine:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=258816

I would really appreciate some insight from a more veteran poster/manager such as yourself.
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Warpigs » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Not too shabby of a team. I'd be a little nervous of your starting pitchers, but then again, I'm not sold that guys like Harang and Schilling will light the world on fire this year. I also see Posada on a downward slide. All three may be more valuable now than they'll be in a couple months. That being said, I still think you have a solid team.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

your team

Postby rikishiboy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:34 pm

you have solid bats. Probably should try and get another SP in case your old guys falter.
rikishiboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:39 pm

MaggsIsMint wrote:I like your team. You have a solid lineup top-to-bottom. Your team is not gonna burn up the base paths but you have enough speed to be competitive I think while being in a good position to win every other hitting cat each week.

Really? Roberts and Rollins should give me 35-45 SB's each. Wells could chip in with 10-20. I don't think SB's are as important in a H2H league that counts OPS as an extra category. Personally, I'm hoping that if Rollins isn't as streaky as he's been in the past, he could be a 20-25 HR, 50 SB type.

MaggsIsMint wrote:Your pitching could probably use a bit of work but I still like what you have coming out of the draft. Your 1-4 are all solid and Cain and Sabathia even have some significant upside to boot. Your relievers are mediocre but that is only a small problem

Well, to start off the 4th round, the likes of Peavy, Halladay, and Zambrano were taken. I believe Webb was also, but I couldn't pass up Rollins in the 4th. I was aiming for Felix, Sheets, and Kazmir, but alas they were taken.

I'm really high on Cain and I think Sabathia builds on last year. Harang was quietly one of the best NL aces and though I had no intention of grabbing him, he was the best SP left in the 9th and so it was a good opportunity to take him. I believe Schilling can still produce one more solid season.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasybeast27 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Very solid team IMO

I love the balance of Power and average and your pitching is pretty good to. I also love the Laroche pick. I think he will improve upon his numbers.

I would definetly say this team is a contender.
fantasybeast27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Closers are really the only weak spot, but I'm sure you are planning to watch the wire. I don't like the thought of Ibanez in a opening day starting lineup, but that's just me. Either way, he can probably be easily replaced as well.

Screw what everyone else is saying about your pitching...I love it. I don't see any of those guys killing you unless they get injured which any pitcher is at risk of these days. I think that's a top notch staff without having to pay for a stud. Actually, I think the first pitcher you took is the weakest of the bunch. I still like Cain though.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=258126
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Re: Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby shmolex » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:31 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote: I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.

Personally, i dont think it's worth it to draft a top-end closer in a h2h format, assuming you are willing to put in the time to watch the waiver wire over the season. They dont contribute enough innings over a week to make much difference in ERA and WHIP. Closers come and go, and you'll defenitely be able to pick up closers as the season goes along.

I really like the rest of your team, and I'm personally high on Cain and CC this year too. ;-D

good job!
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:42 pm

jfg wrote:Closers are really the only weak spot, but I'm sure you are planning to watch the wire. I don't like the thought of Ibanez in a opening day starting lineup, but that's just me. Either way, he can probably be easily replaced as well.

I think Ibanez will regress, but a good bet for 20-25 HR, 90-100 RBI. He's still quite valuable in my book and I didn't burn a mid-round pick for him.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Re: Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:45 pm

shmolex wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.

Personally, i dont think it's worth it to draft a top-end closer in a h2h format, assuming you are willing to put in the time to watch the waiver wire over the season. They dont contribute enough innings over a week to make much difference in ERA and WHIP. Closers come and go, and you'll defenitely be able to pick up closers as the season goes along.

I really like the rest of your team, and I'm personally high on Cain and CC this year too. ;-D

good job!

True, that's why I don't like paying top dollar for closers. By the same token, the likes of Nathan, K-Rod, Ryan, Wagner, and Rivera are valuable in that they're a shoo-in for 40 saves and great numbers across the board. With enough appearances especially with the likes of Nathan and K-Rod who get into their fair share of close ballgames week to week, they'll make a difference. However, I just don't think they're worth paying for when there are solid bats to be had for where those closers are usually drafted.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team