Rate my H2HWS California Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my H2HWS California Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm looking to repeat as California champion in the Cafe's H2H World Series and we just had our 20-round live draft today.

6x6 12-team H2H redraft (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS; W, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP)

Here's what I did with the 8th overall pick:

C - Jorge Posada (15.08)
1B - Adam Laroche (10.05)
2B - Brian Roberts (6.05)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (1.08)
SS - Jimmy Rollins (4.05)
CF - Vernon Wells (3.08)
OF - Hideki Matsui (5.05)
OF - Raul Ibanez (18.05)
UTIL - Travis Hafner (2.05)

BN - Rickie Weeks (12.05)
BN - Joe Crede (19.08)

SP - Matt Cain (7.08)
SP - C.C. Sabathia (8.05)
RP - Todd Jones (13.08)
RP - Jason Isringhausen (14.05)
P - Aaron Harang (9.08)
P - Curt Schilling (11.08)

BN - Mike Mussina (16.05)
BN - Kerry Wood (17.08)
BN - Rafael Soriano (20.05)

It was quite an odd draft overall as a few guys had awful pre-rankings and glitches with the Yahoo draft system, but I feel pretty good about this team. I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.

At any rate, I believe this team should contend.

Any thoughts, opinions, comments, and concerns? I'll gladly respond to your thread if you leave me a link. ;-D
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Postby MaggsIsMint » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:16 pm

I like your team. You have a solid lineup top-to-bottom. Your team is not gonna burn up the base paths but you have enough speed to be competitive I think while being in a good position to win every other hitting cat each week.

Your pitching could probably use a bit of work but I still like what you have coming out of the draft. Your 1-4 are all solid and Cain and Sabathia even have some significant upside to boot. Your relievers are mediocre but that is only a small problem

Obviously you don't need to have both Roberts and Weeks so I assume you are already looking to move one of them. Personally I would go after some bullpen help or a 4th outfielder. Crede also serves little purpose IMO.

Overall, I would assume you are a solid contender.

Here is mine:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=258816

I would really appreciate some insight from a more veteran poster/manager such as yourself.
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 206
Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Saskatoon

Postby Warpigs » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Not too shabby of a team. I'd be a little nervous of your starting pitchers, but then again, I'm not sold that guys like Harang and Schilling will light the world on fire this year. I also see Posada on a downward slide. All three may be more valuable now than they'll be in a couple months. That being said, I still think you have a solid team.
Image
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 862
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

your team

Postby rikishiboy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:34 pm

you have solid bats. Probably should try and get another SP in case your old guys falter.
rikishiboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:39 pm

MaggsIsMint wrote:I like your team. You have a solid lineup top-to-bottom. Your team is not gonna burn up the base paths but you have enough speed to be competitive I think while being in a good position to win every other hitting cat each week.


Really? Roberts and Rollins should give me 35-45 SB's each. Wells could chip in with 10-20. I don't think SB's are as important in a H2H league that counts OPS as an extra category. Personally, I'm hoping that if Rollins isn't as streaky as he's been in the past, he could be a 20-25 HR, 50 SB type.

MaggsIsMint wrote:Your pitching could probably use a bit of work but I still like what you have coming out of the draft. Your 1-4 are all solid and Cain and Sabathia even have some significant upside to boot. Your relievers are mediocre but that is only a small problem


Well, to start off the 4th round, the likes of Peavy, Halladay, and Zambrano were taken. I believe Webb was also, but I couldn't pass up Rollins in the 4th. I was aiming for Felix, Sheets, and Kazmir, but alas they were taken.

I'm really high on Cain and I think Sabathia builds on last year. Harang was quietly one of the best NL aces and though I had no intention of grabbing him, he was the best SP left in the 9th and so it was a good opportunity to take him. I believe Schilling can still produce one more solid season.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Postby fantasybeast27 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Very solid team IMO

I love the balance of Power and average and your pitching is pretty good to. I also love the Laroche pick. I think he will improve upon his numbers.

I would definetly say this team is a contender.
Image
fantasybeast27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1493
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: USA

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Closers are really the only weak spot, but I'm sure you are planning to watch the wire. I don't like the thought of Ibanez in a opening day starting lineup, but that's just me. Either way, he can probably be easily replaced as well.

Screw what everyone else is saying about your pitching...I love it. I don't see any of those guys killing you unless they get injured which any pitcher is at risk of these days. I think that's a top notch staff without having to pay for a stud. Actually, I think the first pitcher you took is the weakest of the bunch. I still like Cain though.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=258126
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby shmolex » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:31 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote: I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.



Personally, i dont think it's worth it to draft a top-end closer in a h2h format, assuming you are willing to put in the time to watch the waiver wire over the season. They dont contribute enough innings over a week to make much difference in ERA and WHIP. Closers come and go, and you'll defenitely be able to pick up closers as the season goes along.

I really like the rest of your team, and I'm personally high on Cain and CC this year too. ;-D

good job!
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1344
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:42 pm

jfg wrote:Closers are really the only weak spot, but I'm sure you are planning to watch the wire. I don't like the thought of Ibanez in a opening day starting lineup, but that's just me. Either way, he can probably be easily replaced as well.


I think Ibanez will regress, but a good bet for 20-25 HR, 90-100 RBI. He's still quite valuable in my book and I didn't burn a mid-round pick for him.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Rate my H2HWS California Team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:45 pm

shmolex wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: I'm not too crazy about taking Kerry Wood in the 17th and might drop him in fact with his little recent run-in with injury, but that's just being nitpicky. Obviously, I really need to stop thinking about saves late and so I could use a top-end closer.



Personally, i dont think it's worth it to draft a top-end closer in a h2h format, assuming you are willing to put in the time to watch the waiver wire over the season. They dont contribute enough innings over a week to make much difference in ERA and WHIP. Closers come and go, and you'll defenitely be able to pick up closers as the season goes along.

I really like the rest of your team, and I'm personally high on Cain and CC this year too. ;-D

good job!


True, that's why I don't like paying top dollar for closers. By the same token, the likes of Nathan, K-Rod, Ryan, Wagner, and Rivera are valuable in that they're a shoo-in for 40 saves and great numbers across the board. With enough appearances especially with the likes of Nathan and K-Rod who get into their fair share of close ballgames week to week, they'll make a difference. However, I just don't think they're worth paying for when there are solid bats to be had for where those closers are usually drafted.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact