Thoughts on Zito.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Zito..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Zito..

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:59 pm

dooz wrote:I guess the real question is, who do you pick up then?

I am in a 12 teamer with deep rosters so there really isn't much to be had. Belisle, Sampson, Kennedy, Lohse, Livan. The guy I would take if I had space, wandy rodriguez. You are telling me that these guys are so much better than Zito?

i picked up edwin encarnacion after he returned from the minors.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:04 pm

fair enough, I like EE.

i was just assuming you needed a pitcher to replace Zito, how you presumably took with a reasonably high pick/$ amount.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jorwoods » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:16 am

I never really liked Zito but still grabbed him in the 9th round in a 12 team mixed league. I figured a move to the weak NL West would make him a pretty solid play. Wrong :t
^^thanks to Snakes Gould!
jorwoods
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby samjerky » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:56 am

If the league is really deep though why don't you consider spot-starting Zito against weaker teams for a while? I just can't really believe that this is the new Zito. It must be at least a little bit of a slump.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 am

He's been a lot worse than the most pessimists were predicting.

Beane squeezes every ounce of what he can get out of his pitchers and then throws them away for other teams. Unbelievable.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

Yoda wrote: Beane squeezes every ounce of what he can get out of his pitchers and then throws them away for other teams. Unbelievable.

Your logic is that Billy Beane somehow makes pitchers fail when they leave Oakland? Does he have mystical voodoo powers, or is he the secret pitching coach for the A's?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:03 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
Yoda wrote: Beane squeezes every ounce of what he can get out of his pitchers and then throws them away for other teams. Unbelievable.

Your logic is that Billy Beane somehow makes pitchers fail when they leave Oakland? Does he have mystical voodoo powers, or is he the secret pitching coach for the A's?

It's called workload my friend. Oakland's big three: Hudson, Zito and Mulder have all have been busts for the most part once they left.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Zito might be the most overpaid overrated player in the history of the majors. Giants fans got owned, horrible signing. If they wanted to pay so much for pitching they should have waited for Johan or someone who was actually good. The only reason he is perceived as good was because he was so different when he first came into the league it took people time to adjust. Not to mention he became king of the overrated when he STOLE the cy young from Pedro in 2002.

Pedro 30 GS, 20-4, 2.26 ERA, .92 WHIP, 239 K
Zito 35 GS 23-5, 2.75 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 182 K
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:27 pm

You know, he isn't THAT bad. He's off to a poor start this season, but he's only had one season with an ERA over 4, and he pitches 210+ innings every single year, without missing a game. Roy Oswalt he's not, but I'd much rather have Zito than 90% of the FA pitchers over the past few seasons... the ones who are awesome for three months, break, then sit on the DL for two months.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:34 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:You know, he isn't THAT bad. He's off to a poor start this season, but he's only had one season with an ERA over 4, and he pitches 210+ innings every single year, without missing a game. Roy Oswalt he's not, but I'd much rather have Zito than 90% of the FA pitchers over the past few seasons... the ones who are awesome for three months, break, then sit on the DL for two months.

So 90% of FA pitchers get hurt? I know that's a hyperbole but come on. Those other free agents didn't get $126 million. If the Giants wanted an innings eater, I'm sure they have someone in the minors they could pay the league minimum to throw 200 innings and put up numbers close to what Zito has so far. It's already been pointed out in this topic that his numbers were in a downward trend before the Giants signed him and that trend has continued this year.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers