Thoughts on Zito.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Zito..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Zito..

Postby samjerky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Time to update your expectations. I haven't paid attention to him this year, but his stats are awful. Anyone want to argue for a turnaround?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 pm

He is my favorite baseball player and I cut him last week....that ought to tell you something.

Since then his last outing and today are not making me regret the decision.
With him on the West Coast I don't ever get to see him pitch. But he walks too many, and his K rate is WAY WAY down from where I would have expected it to be coming into the National League.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:48 pm

dclark0699 wrote:He is my favorite baseball player and I cut him last week....that ought to tell you something.

With him on the West Coast I don't ever get to see him pitch. But he walks too many, and his K rate is WAY WAY down from where I would have expected it to be coming into the National League.

i agree. i was expecting big things from him this year. i cut him about the time you did too.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:50 pm

He's done about what I expected, ERA a little bit higher than I expected of course but never thought he'd be worth much. Can't have a microscopic BABIP every year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Laean wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:He is my favorite baseball player and I cut him last week....that ought to tell you something.

i agree. i was expecting big things from him this year. i cut him about the time you did too.

you guys are outright cutting him? how small of a league are you guys in? Even in my 8 team league composed of HS buddies, he has SOME value. In a 12 teamer, I can't even see the argument that he has the value of a replacement off the FA list.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm in a ten teamer...I wasn't going to be able to get anything worth while for him. I settled for Joe Blanton off the FA list and he has done nicely.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby yossarian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 pm

I'm in a competitive 12 team roto league with knowledgable ownersand he's been cut and picked up approximately 3 times.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:43 pm

yossarian wrote:I'm in a competitive 12 team roto league with knowledgable ownersand he's been cut and picked up approximately 3 times.

What's your point? That he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place because he clearly still had perceived value? Or is it that he is so bad that people pick him up because of his name and realize he is terrible?
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:53 pm

dooz wrote:
yossarian wrote:I'm in a competitive 12 team roto league with knowledgable ownersand he's been cut and picked up approximately 3 times.

What's your point? That he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place because he clearly still had perceived value? Or is it that he is so bad that people pick him up because of his name and realize he is terrible?

bingo.

i'm in a 12 team roto league with people here in the cafe. i drafted zito this year because he was going to the NL. i thought that would result in both lower era and higher Ks. neither has occurred.

right now, his K rate is horrendous and was eating up my innings too much for the amount of Ks he was giving me. even when he's on, zito is a high whip pitcher. suffice to say, he's not even on right now (1.40+ whip). if he's going to give me weak Ks and a high whip, he's at least going to have to give me a low 3s era (like gorzelanny - who i AM using). right now it's at what, 4.50? well, at least he's winning lots of games, no wait ....

i think he's very droppable in a standard 12 team league. i knew no one in my league was newbie enough for me to pawn zito off to just based on his name. infact, during the draft people told me i drafted him too high, and it was one of those times where i was flat out wrong and they were right.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:00 pm

I guess the real question is, who do you pick up then?

I am in a 12 teamer with deep rosters so there really isn't much to be had. Belisle, Sampson, Kennedy, Lohse, Livan. The guy I would take if I had space, wandy rodriguez. You are telling me that these guys are so much better than Zito?
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers