Thoughts on Zito.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Zito..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Zito..

Postby SignGuy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:37 pm

what kind of pithcer do you guys see him being for SF this year? i never really liked the guy, but with the move to the NL and that park could do him so good. thoughts? any projections?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indiana Juice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 pm

he is going to a new league in a pitcher-friendly ballpark so he should have a solid season...think Josh Beckett type numbers...14-16 wins, 150-175 strike outs...ERA and WHIP are solid as usual. Zito is good but i think the point here is that you can get the same stats in a different name three oicks later
Indiana Juice
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:01 pm

Indiana Juice wrote:he is going to a new league in a pitcher-friendly ballpark so he should have a solid season...think Josh Beckett type numbers...14-16 wins, 150-175 strike outs...ERA and WHIP are solid as usual. Zito is good but i think the point here is that you can get the same stats in a different name three oicks later

This is a guy who has posted WHIP's of 1.39 and 1.40 in 2 of the past 3 years and used an incredibly low BABIP to avoid it the other year. He is what he is, a bad WHIP, decent ERA guy with mid range K's who goes way too soon in drafts.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:07 pm

He's in a good park, and the NL West isn't terribly strong. But he's on a terrible team, so any improvement in ratios is likely to be offset by the loss in wins. Not someone I'm targeting.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:37 pm

I think Zito will have a big year. Mid 3 ERA, 180 K and a decent WHIP. W might be light but he should be very successful in his first year in the NL.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Zito will have a big year. Mid 3 ERA, 180 K and a decent WHIP. W might be light but he should be very successful in his first year in the NL.

You obviously haven't seen Durham, Feliz and Bonds play defense if you think his WHIP will be good!

I certainly do like him more in the NL, I just personally have pretty tempered expectations. I also don't see quite that big of a K spike, most DH's K almost as much as a pitcher and most NL clubs seem to build for defense and contact more than in the AL (probably why they aren't as good) so in general pitchers don't see a large spike in K's when switching anymore.

HIs K rate as pretty much gone down every year since 2002 so I just don't see a big rebound for him at this point.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Laean » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 am

my guess is 14 Ws, 170 Ks in 220+ IP, 3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP.

good #3 to have.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 am

Ender wrote:This is a guy who has posted WHIP's of 1.39 and 1.40 in 2 of the past 3 years and used an incredibly low BABIP to avoid it the other year. He is what he is, a bad WHIP, decent ERA guy with mid range K's who goes way too soon in drafts.

Add me to the list of non believers as well.If his name wasn't Zito, anyone posting numbers like this would not be drafted where Zito has been drafted.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Indiana Juice wrote:he is going to a new league in a pitcher-friendly ballpark so he should have a solid season...think Josh Beckett type numbers...14-16 wins, 150-175 strike outs...ERA and WHIP are solid as usual. Zito is good but i think the point here is that you can get the same stats in a different name three oicks later

Josh Beckett type numbers? Josh Beckett got lit up last year switching leagues. Or do you mean Josh Beckett the NL pitcher.

I'm not a Zito believer but I do think in that ballpark he will post pretty good numbers against guys that have never seen him.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Midnight_Toker » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Laean wrote:my guess is 14 Ws, 170 Ks in 220+ IP, 3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP.

good #3 to have.

I agree with this guy ^^^ ;-D
Midnight_Toker
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers