Strange pitching issue - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Strange pitching issue

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strange pitching issue

Postby bluegrass » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm in a 10-team, standard 5x5, mixed, non-keeper league on Yahoo. For the core group of guys in the league, this is our 8th season. We just had our draft today and our commish, who's been in the league since the beginning, did not draft a single starting pitcher. He drafted 3 solid closers in Ryan, Wagner and F. Cordero but no starting pitching.

We play in a free yahoo league and use their standard rules, which do not include an innings pitched minimum. We've talked about adding an IP min for several years, but evidently Yahoo does not provide that as a controllable option.

Should I make a stink about him drafting no starting pitching, or not worry about it since there is no way he can win by punting W's and K's?
bluegrass
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:43 pm

In a stardard 5x5? I'd let him do it without saying a word....

He's completely throwing away any chance at Wins, Ks, and he's adding in some CRAZY variance in his WHIP and ERA. One bad outing by any of his three main closers, and he's losing all 5 pitching categories that week. Add in the variance of any one of those three getting injured, and he's scraping the bottom of the barrel to find any replacements. He'll be stuck hoping that two top end closers can compete with everybody elses three closers for saves.

Honestly, that seems like a complete disaster to me. There's almost no possibility of digging out of that hole once you're in it, unless somebody else is absolutely getting killed in saves, because he's going to have to give away his hitting just to get back to even with starters.

This seems MUCH more dangerous than punting the speed or power categories. He's not just punting them, he's taking an absolute zero in them.

Sure hope his hitters are HUGE, because he absolutely needs to win at least four hitting categories every week.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bluegrass » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:44 pm

It's Roto, not head-to-head.

Either way, though ... your point is still valid. There's no way you can punt 2 categories and win the league.

His offense isn't enough to dominate ... he's got:
C: Piazza
1B: Morneau
2B: Weeks
3B: Atkins
SS: Guillen
IF: Fielder
OF: Crawford, Sizemore, Hunter, Drew
Util: Crede
Bench: bunch of decent players but no studs

I think my offense is already better than his:
C: I-Rod
1B: Giambi
2B: Lugo
3B: Glaus
SS: Rollins
IF: Helton
OF: Soriano, Berkman, Andruw Jones, Adam Dunn
Util: Taveras
Bench: Dave Roberts, Eric Chavez, Chad Tracy, BJ Upton, Chris B Young (ARI)

There's no way his offense is that much more dominant than mine ... even with my AVG problem that I'm hoping to correct. I definitely have more power than him and I've got comparable speed. Yeah ... he's gonna regret it.
bluegrass
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 pm

bluegrass wrote:It's Roto, not head-to-head.

Well, that certainly cuts down on his statistical variance of one or two bad outings in a week....

In a season long roto, he's basically locking up ERA and Saves then (assuming nobody else has such dominant RPs).

But, after looking at his offensive roster, I don't think you'll have too much to worry about either way. A neat gimmick, but by no means dominant. He's playing within the rules, but he's not playing all that well.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:32 am

Even if his strategy was valid, and gave him an advantage, you are far too late to make a stink. If you don't like the set of rules you're playing under, you have to discuss that before the draft. Once the draft's over, you're stuck with what you've got (both rules and teams).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bluegrass » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:09 pm

mak1277 wrote:Even if his strategy was valid, and gave him an advantage, you are far too late to make a stink. If you don't like the set of rules you're playing under, you have to discuss that before the draft. Once the draft's over, you're stuck with what you've got (both rules and teams).

You are correct. I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to rally support with the other owners to change our rules to prevent this for next season (2008). My other option is to let him go down the tubes with his flawed strategy, then show everyone why the strategy doesn't work ... basically letting them know that if they try it, they're idiots.

I will probably not say much about it until it's clear he won't win. Then I'll show everyone why the strategy is so flawed. Hopefully, at that point, I'll have the championship locked up!
bluegrass
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby buckwild13 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:55 am

the most that guy can possibly score...if all goes well for him is, 80pts at most. and in leagues similar to this he will need a little more than that to win...and again thats if everything goes perfect for him
buckwild13
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tooslim73 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 pm

bluegrass wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Even if his strategy was valid, and gave him an advantage, you are far too late to make a stink. If you don't like the set of rules you're playing under, you have to discuss that before the draft. Once the draft's over, you're stuck with what you've got (both rules and teams).

You are correct. I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to rally support with the other owners to change our rules to prevent this for next season (2008). My other option is to let him go down the tubes with his flawed strategy, then show everyone why the strategy doesn't work ... basically letting them know that if they try it, they're idiots.

I will probably not say much about it until it's clear he won't win. Then I'll show everyone why the strategy is so flawed. Hopefully, at that point, I'll have the championship locked up!

Let everyone see how dumb this idea is ...they will proceede to laugh at him, which is fun for you... ;-D
tooslim73
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner