The players you have to have - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The players you have to have

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:09 pm

I think Sheets is a great value where he is going since he's been mislabeled injury prone after one injury and seems to be 100% recovered from it and has been for over 6 months now.

I still won't touch him until the 5th or 6th round though because pitching is for suckers.

I haven't seen as many big values this year as last year, last year I had to have Dave Bush and took him in all my drafts, this year he's being overrated and I keep seeing him go in the 7th or 8th round~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:35 pm

If there is one guy, then it is Sheets for me.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 pm

Hafner
Olsen
Zumaya- possible closer
Broxton- ""
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:36 pm

I was high on Ben Sheets as well, but this article sort of scares me away a little bit:

http://disabledlist.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... ewers.html
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Domi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:51 pm

I noticed a few names that keep popping up on my teams this year. I wouldnt say I gotta have em but I think they are undervalued from what Ive seen.

Raul Ibanez. Solid but unspectacular. Solid 4 cat contributor.
Nike Cuddyer. See above. Sandwiched between Mauer & Morneau.
Tracy. Ok, 3B is deep. 90-25-90-.280 is respectable. Got him in rd 21 in my last draft.
Conor Jackson. 1B pretty deep too. I'll take him as a backup 1B or Util contributor.
Freddy Sanchez. I like him. Hopefully will bat 3rd. No HR but decent RBI numbes. Covers 3 positions, great bench guy or CI/MI.

Pitching is more of crapshoot but guys I've snagged late

Olsen, Haren, Freddy Garcia, Lowe.
Domi Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:51 pm

and why his shoulder continues to get injured every 2 months or so for the past 2 years

That makes me not put much stock into his reply. Sheets had back surgery and either didn't or couldn't condition himself properly afterwards. He came into spring training in 2005 out of shape basically. He pulled a muscle in his back during the season.

In 2006 he came back and tried to pitch and never felt fully comfortable. He tore some scar tissue from the surgery which is completely normal and had a small setback. He then pulled a chest muscle most likely because he had modified his delivery because he had the discomfort which again is pretty normal.

In June of 2006 he started throwing bullpen sessions etc and since then has been fully healthy. In fact in Sept he retired the first 18 batters in a game, that is not the sign of an injured pitcher. He went down in the end of August of 2005 and has been healthy since June of 2006. That is less than a year of injuries and he's been healthy for 10 months now. Sounds like that link didn't do their research or had an agenda.

That all was the first major injury he had in his 1088 IP of major league ball and yet he's lumped into the Prior/Wood category for some reason.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah, the site is supposedly from a physical therapist who you would think knows his stuff about injuries, but that statement hurts his credibility a little bit. I don't think he has an agenda or is lumping him in with Prior/Wood but his concerns about Sheets having chronic shoulder problems might be overblown.

As you mention, it's encouraging that Sheets was in good health for a good chunk of last year and from looking at his game log it appears he didn't miss a start after 7/25. He was his old dominant self down the stretch, and ultimately I think the upside is so ridiculously high that he's worth rolling the dice on.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:57 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Yeah, the site is supposedly from a physical therapist who you would think knows his stuff about injuries, but that statement hurts his credibility a little bit. I don't think he has an agenda or is lumping him in with Prior/Wood but his concerns about Sheets having chronic shoulder problems might be overblown.

As you mention, it's encouraging that Sheets was in good health for a good chunk of last year and from looking at his game log it appears he didn't miss a start after 7/25. He was his old dominant self down the stretch, and ultimately I think the upside is so ridiculously high that he's worth rolling the dice on.

He is the 2nd best pitcher in all of baseball if he's healthy, at least from a fantasy standpoint and he is a 1st round quality player if the Brewers can get him the wins. The fact you can get him in the 5th round shows just how much the injury risk plays into things.

At least thats how I look at it. Still not drafting a pitcher that early~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:39 am

Guys I love this year
C
VMart
Piazza
Iannetta

1B/DH
Hafner
Teixeira
Fielder
Swisher

2B
Kendrick
Kinsler
Weeks
Barfield

SS
Rollins
M. Young - being undervalued this year quite a bit

3B
Beltre
Huff

OF
Vlad
Rios
Markakis
Corey Hart
Brian Giles (:-? I know)

SP
Sheets
Haren
Bedard
Cain
Maddux ;-D

RP
Putz
Francisco Cordero
Dotel - worth the late pick
Wheeler - moves up my draft sheet with every Lidge outing
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby oscar15 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:46 am

Rock - No wonder you think my team sucks in the Leftover League. I only have one player (Cain) you love and he is the one I'm worried about the most!
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 21)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers