The players you have to have - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The players you have to have

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The players you have to have

Postby beefcurtain » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:07 pm

What players do you just have to have this year, either because you think they are going to break out or you think they are being vastly undervalued?

When do you hope to get them?
beefcurtain
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:13 pm

This year, Harden (though not anymore, apparently) around the 10th round....

Hafner....mid 2nd round...I see him as a 50 HR threat that isn't getting the respect he deserves.

Peavy, 5th round....I believe he is a 2nd round talent and if he is there in the late 4th early 5th I will take him. He usually isn't though....

Sheets, pick 70 or so....another great value this late, IMO...

Mostly pitching, and yes, all high injury risks...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:15 pm

pokerplaya wrote:This year, Harden (though not anymore, apparently) around the 10th round....

Hafner....mid 2nd round...I see him as a 50 HR threat that isn't getting the respect he deserves.

Peavy, 5th round....I believe he is a 2nd round talent and if he is there in the late 4th early 5th I will take him. He usually isn't though....

Sheets, pick 70 or so....another great value this late, IMO...

Mostly pitching, and yes, all high injury risks...


Cant believe some of the pitchers you named..... :-) :-D ;-)

I really like Ian Kinsler. He seems to be going several rounds later than most of the second baseman and i see him as a legitimate 20/20 threat.
Image
GreatestShowOnEarth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cordscords » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:21 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:This year, Harden (though not anymore, apparently) around the 10th round....

Hafner....mid 2nd round...I see him as a 50 HR threat that isn't getting the respect he deserves.

Peavy, 5th round....I believe he is a 2nd round talent and if he is there in the late 4th early 5th I will take him. He usually isn't though....

Sheets, pick 70 or so....another great value this late, IMO...

Mostly pitching, and yes, all high injury risks...


Cant believe some of the pitchers you named..... :-) :-D ;-)

I really like Ian Kinsler. He seems to be going several rounds later than most of the second baseman and i see him as a legitimate 20/20 threat.


He's my starting 2B in several leagues. I've got a huge man crush on him as well :)

I've also been targeting Russell Martin (I think he finishes as the #4 catcher) and Dave Bush (my favorite breakout canidate).
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4346
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cobbs87 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Kinsler. Horribly undervalued for a possilby top 3 second baseman.

Harden. 12th round for a possible Cy Young winner? I'll risk the injuries.

Piazza. Possible 30 HR from a catcher and I can get him in the 11th or 12th round? Plus he will play every day?

Rich Hill. Pretty much gets ignored.

Chris B. Young. I get him consistently around the last round.

Bill Hall. Rediculous power from a SS. Very undervalued.

Delmon. I'm crossing my fingers for a rookie season comprable to Pujols or Miggy Cabrera.

Thome- 7th or 8th round for 40 homers even if he is only Util.

John Patterson- Let the injuries scare you away. He could be an ace.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Posts: 622
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:36 pm

cobbs87 wrote:Kinsler. Horribly undervalued for a possilby top 3 second baseman.

Harden. 12th round for a possible Cy Young winner? I'll risk the injuries.

Piazza. Possible 30 HR from a catcher and I can get him in the 11th or 12th round? Plus he will play every day?

Rich Hill. Pretty much gets ignored.

Chris B. Young. I get him consistently around the last round.

Bill Hall. Rediculous power from a SS. Very undervalued.

Delmon. I'm crossing my fingers for a rookie season comprable to Pujols or Miggy Cabrera.

Thome- 7th or 8th round for 40 homers even if he is only Util.

John Patterson- Let the injuries scare you away. He could be an ace.


I dont see how Hill is underrated. If anything he is getting overrated due to his performance in the last month or two of the season. He seems to be going pretty high in Cafe drafts for a 5th starter.
Image
GreatestShowOnEarth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Shane Victorino
Dave Bush
Rich Hill
Felix Hernandez
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Postby beefcurtain » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Harden and Hill are interesting cases. They are both undervalued and overvalued, depending on who is drafting.

People in this Web site might think highly of Hill but for most people he's just the fourth starter on a mediocre Cubs starting rotation who disappointed until the last two months of last year.

Harden has great stuff but he's always injured so it's impossible to say whether he is going too early or late. If you think he's going too late, then you are confident he will stay healthy. If you see him as another Prior/Wood, then he's going to early. Why take a guy that will miss most of the year? It depends entirely on whether he can stay healthy and no one can predict that.
beefcurtain
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:25 pm

dave Bush
Chris B. Young
King Felix
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:32 pm

beefcurtain wrote:Harden and Hill are interesting cases. They are both undervalued and overvalued, depending on who is drafting.

People in this Web site might think highly of Hill but for most people he's just the fourth starter on a mediocre Cubs starting rotation who disappointed until the last two months of last year.

Harden has great stuff but he's always injured so it's impossible to say whether he is going too early or late. If you think he's going too late, then you are confident he will stay healthy. If you see him as another Prior/Wood, then he's going to early. Why take a guy that will miss most of the year? It depends entirely on whether he can stay healthy and no one can predict that.


The bottom line for me is that who can really predict when anyone will stay healthy? :-?

You can have a relatively healthy pitcher like Roy Oswalt go down and miss the entire year. Granted, certain pitchers have a track record of DL stints, but if they pitch like they are healthy, then I will buy into the fact that they are, and draft accordingly.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 10:11 hours
(and 92 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact