PECOTA question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PECOTA question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PECOTA question

Postby bigken117 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 pm

How often does the PFM update, and barring injury, are the changes really significant? The list of keepers for my league came out today, and I'm wondering if running a PFM for it and start ranking the available players with the leagues draft on Sunday the 25th - if there could be some major changes to certain players forecasts or what. I mean, I'm gonna do it anyways and see who's unprotected, but do forecasts change so much that I should run another one in a week?

Cheers.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:14 pm

Sometimes there are some major changes. Most of them have happened already in the past two weeks (Randy Johnson is one significant change I noticed). Once positions have been named they adjust for playing time. So, it will only be a handful of players that get significant boosts, more than likely they will be prospects.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby cobbs87 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Hey I was just going to post. Where do you find Petoca projections? Does anyone have a link?
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:33 am

cobbs87 wrote:Hey I was just going to post. Where do you find Petoca projections? Does anyone have a link?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Re: PECOTA question

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:01 am

bigken117 wrote:How often does the PFM update, and barring injury, are the changes really significant? The list of keepers for my league came out today, and I'm wondering if running a PFM for it and start ranking the available players with the leagues draft on Sunday the 25th - if there could be some major changes to certain players forecasts or what. I mean, I'm gonna do it anyways and see who's unprotected, but do forecasts change so much that I should run another one in a week?

Cheers.

I already printed out the PFM results for my draft on the 24th, just so I can add notes, and such. I don't think there should be any major changes, barring injury, but just run it again a couple days before and look for any major changes...you can just annotate the changes in your previous rankings.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Last year they bumped up Josh Willingham quite a bit right at the end of spring training. I don't actually use the software, I just download the spreadsheet that has the playing time factored in (the one found right above where you put league settings in). Then, I put them into my own spreadsheet. The projections are good, but I have some problems with the value calculations.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Philomath » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:33 pm

c.young (of) moved down in the rankings... early on (my league pt settings) he ranked 11th, now he's 25th.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:20 pm

Well, when it first came out there wasn't really much accounting for playing time so I think a lot of veterans were bumped ahead of Young.

I don't really understand how they figure out prospects in the PFM because it seems like there isn't any rhyme or reason to it yet they manage to be pretty accurate. I wish they would mark changes with an up or down arrow though.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby frankadelic » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:11 am

bigken117 wrote:How often does the PFM update, and barring injury, are the changes really significant? The list of keepers for my league came out today, and I'm wondering if running a PFM for it and start ranking the available players with the leagues draft on Sunday the 25th - if there could be some major changes to certain players forecasts or what. I mean, I'm gonna do it anyways and see who's unprotected, but do forecasts change so much that I should run another one in a week?

Cheers.

Is there a way to mark certain players as keepers in PFM? i.e., so they're excluded from the rankings and other players' values are adjusted accordingly?
frankadelic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:36 am

frankadelic wrote:Is there a way to mark certain players as keepers in PFM? i.e., so they're excluded from the rankings and other players' values are adjusted accordingly?

Yeah. Put their dollar amount (what they are kept for) in the inflation box then hit update.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers