Anyone have any experience with Yahoo ranking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone have any experience with Yahoo ranking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:27 pm

Don't trust them, they'll kill you. I mean kill you. :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:37 pm

I completely agree. But. Many Yahoo fantasy players look at those rankings as a guidepost instead of the stats. So I found last year that it was good to have a few big name highly ranked players that you can dangle in front of other guys in your league when studs like Brandon Webb or Rich Harden enter the league ranked at 800 or whatever ungodly # they get.

If you can trade down in rankings (which are prominent when trade offers are made) for better players you can improve your team a lot.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kentx12 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:51 pm

Yahoo Rankings Suuuuuuck :-t

However, if you are just looking for a printout of players and there stats you can break them down to posistion and print them. Just dont overlook players that might not be on the list due to off years as stated above.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Pedantic » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:23 pm

Haha, I'm definitely not overlooking those in down years...I think I got them all last year lol. If most of the managers in my league pick by Yahoo's rankings, how reasonable would it be to think that I could get a Roy Oswalt or an Eric Chavez in the 6th or 7th round of a 10-team league? And what is y'all's opinion of Jermaine Dye, BTW?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby kentx12 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:26 pm

Pedantic wrote: And what is y'all's opinion of Jermaine Dye, BTW?

In a 10 team league unless you have very large rosters I dont believe he would be worth the risk. In a 12 team league if he is around in the last couple rounds he might be worth a pick. Just my opinion.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:32 pm

Pedantic wrote:And what is y'all's opinion of Jermaine Dye, BTW?

[sarcastic]Who? :-? [/sarcastic]

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pedantic » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:33 pm

Ok, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:12 am

kentx12 wrote:
Pedantic wrote: And what is y'all's opinion of Jermaine Dye, BTW?

In a 10 team league unless you have very large rosters I dont believe he would be worth the risk. In a 12 team league if he is around in the last couple rounds he might be worth a pick. Just my opinion.

Yep...what he said...... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:47 am

yahoo rankings arent the same as some other rankings and mock drafts because yahoo looks strictly at historical stats while other rankings are forward looking. yahoo rankings arent completely useless so long as you understand what they mean and how they measure things. they arent that great as draft cheat sheets because guys with one good season (like loaiza) will be ranked really high (higher than most of us would consider drafting him anyway) and guys that missed time due to injury (like nevin and hoffman) will be ranked really low. guys with little or no stats (like harden) will also be ranked low. this is because they dont take into account subjective things like down years, being the magic age of 27, fluke seasons, injuries, getting traded to the yankees or rockies, or whatever. these things affect the players value but arent accounted for in yahoo rankings because yahoo looks strictly at the numbers the player actually achieved, not should have or could have.

yahoo rankings are decent for measuring a players in-season performance. they measure how well the player is performing relative to the other players. so for hitters they rank each player by avg, then by homeruns, then by rbi, and so on and then give an equal weight to each category ranking. it is up to the manger to determine the subjective things: if said player will continue that performance, do better, or do worse.

i havent looked into it in too much detail but i think there is a flaw in how they rank relievers though. i think they just assume an equal weighting for a relievers ratios compared to a starters. but since a reliever doesnt pitch as many innings his low era and whip dont have the same effect on your team as a starter with the same era and whip. for this reason you would merely just look at the rankings for relievers separately.

now dont get me wrong, i dont base trades or a players worth on yahoo rankings. i am merely saying that most people here seem to think they are something that they are not. they arent completely useless so long as you know what they are designed to measure. if you want to use them for pre draft stuff then print out the rankings and make adjustments based on injuries, fluke seasons, trades, and whatever other things you want. if you want to know about who is playing well during the season just sort by the last month then do a little investigation - is the guy injured, did he just have road trip to coors and milwaukee, did the glendon rusch factor inflate his stats, and so on. the rankings are a tool and so long as you use the tool the right way you wont have any problems. you dont try to cut down a tree with a screw driver do you?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:20 am

Madison wrote:
Pedantic wrote:And what is y'all's opinion of Jermaine Dye, BTW?

[sarcastic]Who? :-? [/sarcastic]

:-D

[sarcastic] Lmao! :D [/sarcastic]

:D :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers