Need some expetise - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need some expetise

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some expetise

Postby Muffinars » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:30 am

In fantasy football, I always go RB in the first 2 rounds, then WR, then WR or TE, etc. How do some of the experts here prioritize thier draft rankings by position. Thanks for any response.
Muffinars

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Add-on to ?

Postby muffinars » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:31 am

In fantasy baseball?
muffinars

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Erboes » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:01 am

There isn't one tried and true formula for baseball like you have in football. There are many different types of theories in baseball and they all can be successful.

A lot of people like to use the idea of "position scarcity" when creating their team. There are four positions that have less depth (Catcher, 2B, SS, and 3B), so the theory goes that you gobble good players at those positions and, Viola!, you have a winner. This is the closest you have to football's formula that you mentioned. It can work, but you have to make sure you get excellent players at these positions or otherwise you won't have the numbers to win.

Some others like to draft pitching early and often. This can work too, but it's probably the riskiest strategy because pitchers tend to be less consistent than hitters. In one of my leagues someone won it a couple years ago following this strategy and the next year he finished 8th. If you're looking for consistency this is not the method for you.

Then there's the "best available player" strategy, which you grab the best player still on the board or, if it's an auction, the most undervalued players you bid on. I rely on this one more than others, especially when the other managers are using one of the other two strategies. The idea is to get the best players you can regardless of position then trading them to fill holes later.

Just about everyone uses a combination of these three strategies. None of them are fullproof so you really need to obtain a "feel" for this through experience. That's the best advice I can offer.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:19 pm

The best advice is to participate in one of our mock drafts. There will be many of them this offseason, so if you see one looking for signups, jump on board. All of our mock draft participants are registered members, so go ahead and register so you are ready. :-)

Erboes made a good post. ;-D

The only thing I disagree with is that 3B is incredibly deep next year. Very easy to get a quality 3B in an average league (12 teams). I'll add that 2B is the shallowest of all the positions.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Area51's » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:36 pm

Madison wrote:The best advice is to participate in one of our mock drafts. There will be many of them this offseason, so if you see one looking for signups, jump on board. All of our mock draft participants are registered members, so go ahead and register so you are ready. :-)

Erboes made a good post. ;-D

The only thing I disagree with is that 3B is incredibly deep next year. Very easy to get a quality 3B in an average league (12 teams). I'll add that 2B is the shallowest of all the positions.

Madison is right.....try a few (or a lot if you can) practice drafts to see how it goes.

In 2002 I did a TON of research, and a LOT of practice drafts and did really well, SO in 2003 I did even MORE research, but not that many practice drafts, and just didn't fare as well on our timed snake draft.

Good luck!
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:03 pm

Great advice so far. I'll reiterate that the mock drafts will be helpful. This is my first off-season on these boards, so I'm looking forward to taking part in a few. I'm hoping it will improve my real drafts.

Fantasy baseball is a little different than fantasy football, in that being dominant in one position isn't the key to victory. Whereas in FF, drafting strong RBs is the key, in fantasy baseball you need a more balanced team. You can be weak at any one position and still field a competitive team. It doesn't make sense to prioritize by position in too rigid a manner in a fantasy baseball draft.

My personal preference is something like best available player, with an eye towards positional scarcity. I like to try and secure at least one top pitcher in the first five or so rounds, but my focus early in a draft is on offense. I find that at some point in the first five rounds there is a pitcher available that I feel should have been taken earlier. Last year it was Wood, Prior, Schmidt, etc. that fell to me in various drafts.

Most important is to prepare yourself. Familiarize yourself with the available players, and try and figure out who will go at what point in the draft. Set your draft strategy up to reflect your own strengths and weaknesses of baseball knowledge. I find that every year I am pretty good at grabbing good starting pitchers off the waiver, and picking solid starters in late rounds.

Good luck!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:55 pm

Madison wrote:The only thing I disagree with is that 3B is incredibly deep next year. Very easy to get a quality 3B in an average league (12 teams). I'll add that 2B is the shallowest of all the positions.
Shhhh. Not everyone needs to know about 3B. Position scarcity goes in cycles both those 4 positions mentioned usually have the least amount of talent.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Return to Baseball Leftovers