Anyone here drafting wes helms? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone here drafting wes helms?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone here drafting wes helms?

Postby ttwarrior1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:29 pm

he is batting after howard. He is not david bell. Good hitting and power ball park. He played well last season , and is kicking butt so far this preseason. I might just draft him and the tampa 3rd baseman and load up somewhere else. I see 300 , 30 hr, 90 rbi, 80 runs as a minimum . If your saying he won't do that, then phillies will finish last.
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dmville » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:46 pm

Sorry not a believer in those #'s. Not so much in his raw ability, but in his ability to be an everyay player. He's been given the chance to be an everyday guy, and before last year had mostly choked on em everytime. Maybe he's solved his problems, but I'll let someone else bet on that.

Not to say I wouldn't pick him up as a FA if he has a good start, but I gotta believe there are better options out there unless you're in a 20+ teamer.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Ummm nope cant say that I will be drafting him

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:35 pm

While I am a little higher on Helms than others, to say that his minimum production will be 80-30-90 is a little ridiculous. I would say that those numbers would be his absolute max, and that's only if he plays lights out all season, something I don't see him doing. I'd be happy with a 75-23-80-290 season from him, but I would only draft him as a flier pick toward the end...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:46 pm

Inukchuk wrote:While I am a little higher on Helms than others, to say that his minimum production will be 80-30-90 is a little ridiculous. I would say that those numbers would be his absolute max, and that's only if he plays lights out all season, something I don't see him doing. I'd be happy with a 75-23-80-290 season from him, but I would only draft him as a flier pick toward the end...

The original poster could be combining the stats of Helms and Wigginton/Iwamura or whomever he thinks the TB 3B will be?

I personally think Helms will DAed sometime in 2007. I expect a very low average, even worse defense, and a ton of Ks. This for some reason smells like the Twins Tony Batista experiment last year. Timo Perez, Helm's platoon partner is a utility player and nothing more.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby bigwords » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Check out Helms post All Star splits. And realize that he'll be playing in Philly (hitters park) in stead of Florida (pitchers park). And has 1b/3b eligibility. Definitely a very good late pick/buy depending on the size of your league.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby colt4523 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I have been looking at him as a possible back up at first, since he is the only tolerable first basemen left in my 16 team league. If he starts well, I may pick him up.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby biju » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:21 pm

I just grabbed him at 269 in a cafe league here (16 teams). I like his post ASB splits and that he's looking like he'll be the starting 3B in a good hitter's park.

post ASB:
.385, 130 ABs, 5 HR, 29 RBI, 21 R

The HR total isn't great but the increase in double (from 5 to 14 in the second half) is what makes me think his HR totals have room to improve.

What worries me about him is his defense (from what I've read, that's his problem). If he can't field the ball well he could lose ABs which is what makes him of any value. Right now if he were to get 500 ABs he's probably looking at 20 HRs, 80 RBI and 60 R with an average of around .285 as a baseline. He certainly could do more, but I'm not expecting it. Still, he's not a bad pickup late in any draft.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:54 pm

bigwords wrote:Check out Helms post All Star splits. And realize that he'll be playing in Philly (hitters park) in stead of Florida (pitchers park). And has 1b/3b eligibility. Definitely a very good late pick/buy depending on the size of your league.

Yeah, check out his stats for the Brewers (also a hitters park) and he'll be platooned with Perez and lose time to a defensive replacement. Sorry, no dice. I'd rather try Dan Johnson or Casey Kotchman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6080/career
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:31 pm

I just picked him in a deep deep league in the 17th round after keepers so more like the 22nd.

:-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers