Closers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Closers...

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:16 pm

Kwaziwampo wrote:
In a 5x5 saves have always been unimportant.

In a 5x5, saves are worth as many points as any other catagory. I watch people ignore saves and steals every year, and they don't have any kind of shot at winning the league because of it.

I'm not saying waste an early pick, but don't ignore a scoring catagory. It will kill you in the long run, and for next year, there are lots of reasonable closers that can be taken in the late middle rounds.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Closers....

Postby Kwaziwampo » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:45 pm

Madision,
I totally agree with not blowing out a category. I've never tried it, but it just doesn't work. In fact, I've noticed in every league I've ever been in the past ten years, the winner in runs and whip is the winner of the league.

Not sure what that means. Runs are a pretty good indicaton of who productive a player is, and the production of those around him. ERA we all know isn't the best indicator, and I don't generally look at it come draft time.

Meantime, what I'm saying is not to waste a pick on a stud in the 1st or 2nd round since most closers are one category players. To me, it's like drafting Alex Sanchez in the 2nd round. Just doesn't make sense.

The CWS closer situation should be interesting this year. Bradford would be a bad replacement for Foulke, but I'm sure the A's will come up with a good player to replace him with.

What's everyone's thoughts on Kolb? Abberation, or legit. I tend to go for legit. He was dominating in the closer role. His lifetime numbers don't really bear that out, but I think we all know the 28-30 (in age) pitchers start pitching theory.
Kwaziwampo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Closers....

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:00 am

Kwaziwampo wrote: In fact, I've noticed in every league I've ever been in the past ten years, the winner in runs and whip is the winner of the league.
;-7

Kwaziwampo wrote:ERA we all know isn't the best indicator, and I don't generally look at it come draft time.

Whip and BAA are far better than ERA .. IMO ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Everyday Eddie

Postby Kwaziwampo » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:52 am

From Rotoworld:
Sources have told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that Eddie Guardado will sign with the Mariners for $14 million over three years.
Despite having some talented youngsters ready to step in, the Mariners have decided to spend big on relievers. Is it too early to predict another 93-win season with an October spent at home? If signed, Guardado would act as Kazuhiro Sasaki's setup man, pushing Shigetoshi Hasegawa into a sixth- and seventh-inning role.

Didn't see this one coming...who will close for Minny now?
Kwaziwampo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby swingaway » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:57 am

woah seattles bullpen is now even more unbeatable and when ifor when kaz gets injured tripping over a leaf they have a realiable closer in the wings.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Everyday Eddie

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:17 am

Kwaziwampo wrote:From Rotoworld:
Sources have told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that Eddie Guardado will sign with the Mariners for $14 million over three years.
Despite having some talented youngsters ready to step in, the Mariners have decided to spend big on relievers. Is it too early to predict another 93-win season with an October spent at home? If signed, Guardado would act as Kazuhiro Sasaki's setup man, pushing Shigetoshi Hasegawa into a sixth- and seventh-inning role.

Didn't see this one coming...who will close for Minny now?

Rumors have Sasaki possibly going back to Japan. Hmmmm...... :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:07 pm

Where's Urbina supposedly heading? I haven't seen his name around in a while...
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers