100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz nears decision

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kaz nears decision

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:27 am

Seattle Post Intelligencer wrote:Kazuo Matsui considers four baseball teams

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- Japan's Kazuo Matsui will choose from four major league teams courting him, according to media reports.

The 28-year-old switch-hitting infielder didn't specify which teams he was considering, citing ongoing negotiations, the national Asahi newspaper and other major dailies reported Friday.

"I don't think it will take long to reach a decision," Matsui said.

Known as "Little Matsui," he is not related to Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui, who came from Japan before last season and finished second in AL Rookie of the Year voting.

Kazuo Matsui, a seven-time All-Star in Japan's professional leagues, batted .305 with 33 homers, 84 RBIs and 179 hits this year for the Seibu Lions.

Several clubs, including the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners, are said to be interested in the speedy Matsui.

Not much info...but atleast the we will know where he lands soon.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:00 am

I'm pretty sure he knows where he is going. Just dragging it out to increase the offers a little.

It will be nice to see where he finally lands though. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

this

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:05 am

This is the guy the Tribe should have went after, as the Tribe has no studs at 2nd or SS. Their best prospect is Peralta and they could move him to 2nd and give Matsui the 2B job. Matsui will sign at a reasonable price. As for Vizquel, I like him, but this is his last year with the Tribe, they should either trade him or move him to 2nd. But I think they have too much respect for Omar to ask him to move to 2nd. Matsui won't come to a rebuilding team anyway, but the Tribe should have tried its not like the Tribe is paying anbybody.

UGh
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: this

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:15 am

The Cow wrote:This is the guy the Tribe should have went after, as the Tribe has no studs at 2nd or SS. Their best prospect is Peralta and they could move him to 2nd and give Matsui the 2B job. Matsui will sign at a reasonable price. As for Vizquel, I like him, but this is his last year with the Tribe, they should either trade him or move him to 2nd. But I think they have too much respect for Omar to ask him to move to 2nd. Matsui won't come to a rebuilding team anyway, but the Tribe should have tried its not like the Tribe is paying anbybody.

UGh

It will sound like a joke, but who's on second?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: this

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:47 am

Madison wrote:
The Cow wrote:This is the guy the Tribe should have went after, as the Tribe has no studs at 2nd or SS. Their best prospect is Peralta and they could move him to 2nd and give Matsui the 2B job. Matsui will sign at a reasonable price. As for Vizquel, I like him, but this is his last year with the Tribe, they should either trade him or move him to 2nd. But I think they have too much respect for Omar to ask him to move to 2nd. Matsui won't come to a rebuilding team anyway, but the Tribe should have tried its not like the Tribe is paying anbybody.

UGh

It will sound like a joke, but who's on second?

LOL...thats the same thing I was thinking...... :-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:08 am

I've seen the Cow bash the Indians' status of 2B's.........you seem to avoid Phillips like the plague. It's almost like you intentionally don't mention him in order to stir up a response of "What about Phillips". In your other post you mentioned that Coco Crisp, Ryan Ludwick, and Alex Escobar are all possibilities to start, but for 2B you said "LOL LOL LOL- even the Tribe doesn't know who to play here." Are you that anti-Phillips??? Do you not realize he's one of the top 2B prospects in baseball???

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:23 am

Matsui has already stated it has to be either west coast, or east coast. That leaves Cleveland out.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

i

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:01 pm

I meant to say start Matsui at SS. As for Phillips this is my draft strategy on him, let someone else draft him. When the Tribe sent Phillips to AAA he hit .180ish at AAA, with a high strikeout rate. Phillps is overrated. In his AA year with the Expos he hit .280, but yet he was a top prospect. As for Phillips being a 5 tool player, no no no.... this guy is slow. Phillps will never be a SB threat, so what you are hoping for out of him is power. Phillips tried to be a power hitter last year and he barely hit .200, maybe if he gets things straightened out he can hit 20 HRs, but not for several years. Right now the guy has no power, no speed, and no AVG, yikes!! Phillpis may one day hit for power, it is possible, but let me be clear that this guy is very slow, not nearly as fast as expected. So if you are hoping for 20 SBs from this guy forget about it.

Thats all,
The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: i

Postby Area51's » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:26 pm

The Cow wrote:I meant to say start Matsui at SS. As for Phillips this is my draft strategy on him, let someone else draft him. When the Tribe sent Phillips to AAA he hit .180ish at AAA, with a high strikeout rate. Phillps is overrated. In his AA year with the Expos he hit .280, but yet he was a top prospect. As for Phillips being a 5 tool player, no no no.... this guy is slow. Phillps will never be a SB threat, so what you are hoping for out of him is power. Phillips tried to be a power hitter last year and he barely hit .200, maybe if he gets things straightened out he can hit 20 HRs, but not for several years. Right now the guy has no power, no speed, and no AVG, yikes!! Phillpis may one day hit for power, it is possible, but let me be clear that this guy is very slow, not nearly as fast as expected. So if you are hoping for 20 SBs from this guy forget about it.

Thats all,
The Cow

Cow has made it clear on Phillips! His 2003 does remind me of Willie Mays Hays in Major League 2, where the slappy tries to become a home rum hitter. Good insight cow.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: i

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:15 pm

The Cow wrote:When the Tribe sent Phillips to AAA he hit .180ish at AAA, with a high strikeout rate. Phillps is overrated. In his AA year with the Expos he hit .280, but yet he was a top prospect. As for Phillips being a 5 tool player, no no no.... this guy is slow. Phillps will never be a SB threat, so what you are hoping for out of him is power. Right now the guy has no power, no speed, and no AVG, yikes!! Phillpis may one day hit for power, it is possible, but let me be clear that this guy is very slow, not nearly as fast as expected. So if you are hoping for 20 SBs from this guy forget about it.

He's only 22, playing in AAA, where some 23-24 year olds play, and 25 and 26 year olds are also found. I'm not saying he's a future star, but he can't be declared overrated after only 1 bad year. At 21 in AA he hit 327 with some power, moved up to AAA same year at age 21, and hit 283 with some power. His disipline needs to imrove, that is true. He's not slow. He's averaged a sb every 7 games, which projects to 20+ over a full season. Here is his scouting report pre 03.

(Brandon has hit for average despite being very young for his affiliation, and he has tantalizing power potential).
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers