qqqqqqqqqqqq - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

qqqqqqqqqqqq

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:46 am

i liked 2.
because obviously your a baseball fan.
and the drive is shorter then others and that has an affect.
and the stadium is not sold out every game which is good meaning you wont feel as much pressure and you can work your way up to a more pressure situation later.
its more games but you dont have to worry about choking.
but if public speech and such is not that big of a deal i would do 3.
and as for number 1. do you want to be an anchor or a reporter or do you want to work in a broadcast booth?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:49 am

You get to pick? Luckbag, what ever happened to college students begging for internships and taking anything they can get?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 pm

Coppermine wrote:You get to pick? Luckbag, what ever happened to college students begging for internships and taking anything they can get?

I never did one and I make decent cash and should be moving up soon a good bit.

My college buddy did one with a radio station and his job is to promote beer at bars.

Again I consider myself the winner
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:You get to pick? Luckbag, what ever happened to college students begging for internships and taking anything they can get?

My college buddy did one with a radio station and his job is to promote beer at bars.

he's a Miller Girl :-?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Somewhat he basically buys chicks drinks and then gives them std's
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Somewhat he basically buys chicks drinks and then gives them std's

And he gets paid for that? Could be worse...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaQ » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:20 pm

qqqqqqqqqqqqqq
Last edited by DaQ on Wed May 16, 2012 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:05 pm

DaQ wrote:Speaking of interviews, I learned of all the different types of interviews I could get:
-My first interviewers asked me a few questions about my resume and what I would be doing "when I would be working there", but most of the session was discussing the Mets chances this year and how the Jets looked.
-My second interview was probably the toughest. The guy looked like a grad student who was very laid back, but he was shooting interview questions at me left and right. He made me think a little before I answered. I probably won't be offered an internship there b/c they are looking for someone who is great with productions and computers, while my forte is in front of the camera or on the air.
-The third and fifth interviews were not much. One offered me the internship right off the bat, and the fifth one asked me one very broad question, and then explained what I would be doing and offered. Another person from the fifth interview (he wasn't there, but my info was relayed to him) called me as I was driving home, talked to me, and confirmed the offer. I think the interview for each of these was about ten minutes.
-My fourth interview was odd. The guy spent atleast twenty-five minutes describing what my job would entail, and he really didn't ask me any questions. He didn't say where I stood in terms of receiving an offer (I wouldn't accept that one anyway due to outrageous hours), but he didn't try to test me at all either.

Interestingly, I'd be interested in hearing some specifics about these questions. For instance, I may, at some point soon be in a position where I would be interviewing folks like you and I would love to hear what they're asking.

Also, I know what I will never be; the meat-head supervisor/manager who hires/promotes a candidate based on their interest in a sport or sports team. I've work for a handful of organizations, but I've seen this everywhere and it is perhaps the worst management philosophy in existence... so bad, I'm surprised there wasn't a course on it in my pursuit of business degree.

I can see leeway when interviewing for a sports franchise, like a minor league baseball team, but I have seen people hired and promoted based on their knowledge of pro sports (and almost always football, which makes me slightly bitter because I like football, but I'm not fanatical about it, but I'm fanatical about baseball and, by sheer luck off the draw, none of my managers have ever cared two craps about baseball) in the manufacturing industry which seems a bit absurd to me.

OK, I'm bitter, but I have good reason... the point is, I found a job where my actual education, job skills and experience were valued and I'm better off for it, and I would suggest everyone do the same. Unless you're a moron... in that case, you can go far so long as you and your boss share a common interest in a professional sport.

Back to the questioning, I'd like to hear your perception of the different questions between the guy who talked sports with you and the guy who actually challenged you with job-relevant questions. What was asked? What do you wish you could go back to answer? And what kinds of "lobbed softballs" did the Mets/Jets guy ask you that actually pertained to your job duties?

And yes, I foresee having to interview intern candidates this summer.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaQ » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm

qqqqqqqqqqqqq
Last edited by DaQ on Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:11 pm

qqqqqqqqqqqq
Last edited by DaQ on Wed May 16, 2012 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk