A-Rod rumors again. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod rumors again.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:00 pm

Welcome to the Cafe' DominicanLou! ;-D

Glad to see that we agree about the trade. ;-D

Good point about Arod not being a quitter. ;-D I do believe that he will walk away feeling like he gave the Rangers a going away gift, so he won't be too upset about it.

I agree that the union probably won't like it, but it's Arod. What are they going to do? Bonds just left the union completely. No one can use his likeness or name without his permission. So Arod certainly wouldn't be the first to upset their apple cart.

I also agree that for the $15 million we're paying Chan Ho, we could get some reasonable pitching when he leaves. :-)

We'll just have to wait and see what happens but Arod isn't going anywhere without some decent compensation. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

S0

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:17 pm

Does this mean the Sox will make a run for VLAD????? I figured that was why they put Manny on waivers to clear his money and to sign VLAD. If they don't sign VLAD and Manny is traded who plays RF for the SOX or LF wherever Manny played.

Later,
The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DominicanLou » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:29 pm

There is no way that if the Red Sox trade away Manny and get some high priced player in return, such as arod, that they will be able to sign Vlad. In order to get rid of Manny they have to take on an enormous contract, comparable to Arod's or Giambi's. That would leave little room for them to be able to sign Vlad, although he has said he wants to be with DOMINICAN players and the Red Sox have Pedro. If the Red Sox do manage to sign Vlad, I think the title of "evil empire" should be approriately shifted to the Sox. They would be spending a rediculous amount of money this offseason if that were the case.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:08 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I hope that this isn't angering you as this seems to be a good discussion. It is hard to predict what will be happening in A-Rod's life at that time. As for Pettitte going to Houston, it worries me a lot. The difference here is that he has an established family (with wife and kids) in the Houston area and that means a lot to him. The Yankees can offer more money and the chance to pitch in the postseason yearly. We shall see what happens. It also intrigues me as to what the MLBPA would do if A-Rod turned down $27 million and then signed for much less. I would love to see a player do that but I just find it hard to believe. I also believe that if they lose him, the Sheff deal is for naught and, even if they sign Colon, they will not be the same. I don't even care about the all-righty thing. They need to sign Andy.

P.S. It is snowing here today and the worst of it is expected tomorrow.

Nah, this topic doesn't upset me at all. It's funny at times, and disappointing at times, but not upsetting. I would fully support my Rangers trading Arod as long as there are solid benefits for them to do it. Seems like the team feels the same way.

Manny for Arod straight up? That's funny :-b because it doesn't help the Rangers, like I've already explained.

Arod staying for the money? It's truely dissappointing that a lot of people don't realize that the most important thing in some player's lives is winning a ring. :-/ All ballplayers want to win a ring, and there are quite a few of them who are good enough that they can try and make it happen.

Look at Schilling. He wanted an extension so he could be competitive in his final 3 years. Read his letter to the fans of Arizona, and how he talked about winning the World Series. That was huge in his career. He wouldn't trade it for anything. But yet, a lot of people think Arod would stay in Texas just for the money. :-/ They just don't understand how important winning a championship is to some ballplayers. He doesn't hide how he feels, we read about it every day. I know he's not the happiest man in baseball right now, I've watched it unfold day by day the last three years, especially since I'm 20 minutes from the ballpark and a Ranger fan.

Superstars walk away from money in all sports. Tiger? Andre Agassi? Michael Jordan? Why not baseball? It happens occasionally already. I used Mark McGuire once before and I'll say it again. Mark had a 2 year, 20 million dollar contract on his dresser in his bedroom. All he had to do was sign it, and show up every day. What did he do? He returned the contract unsigned and retired. Ballplayers don't walk away from money? How many examples does everyone need to see in order to believe that some ballplayers are gifted athletes, but have normal feelings just like us?

Most of the examples you've used are people giving up small amounts of money, or in McGwire's case, a large amount of money if he played. McGwire gave up that money because he wanted to live his life and no longer play baseball, which I think is a good thing. Either way A-Rod will be playing SS when the decision comes. It just depends if it's for $27 M or $17 M. Will he take about a $10 M pay cut just for a better team? No. Like I said he might seem like a nice guy, and seem like he has the best intentions to win a ring, but not if it means he loses $10 M. Is there an example anywhere in sports of a player paying $10 M to go to a team with a better chance to get a championship?

(I actually just thought of a partial example :*) but unless you come up with one I win :-B )

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:27 pm

I can think of some but they all have asterisks. Gary Payton and Karl Malone (especially) signed for way below what they could have gotten on the market. The asterisk there is that they are older players and don't have much time left. In hockey, there are Selanne and Kariya (especially). The asterisk here is that Selanne is still making decent money and Kariya just did it to play with his buddy, win, and be granted UFA status earlier than he normally would have.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:56 pm

LBJackal wrote:Most of the examples you've used are people giving up small amounts of money, or in McGwire's case, a large amount of money if he played. McGwire gave up that money because he wanted to live his life and no longer play baseball, which I think is a good thing. Either way A-Rod will be playing SS when the decision comes. It just depends if it's for $27 M or $17 M. Will he take about a $10 M pay cut just for a better team? No. Like I said he might seem like a nice guy, and seem like he has the best intentions to win a ring, but not if it means he loses $10 M. Is there an example anywhere in sports of a player paying $10 M to go to a team with a better chance to get a championship?

(I actually just thought of a partial example :*) but unless you come up with one I win :-B )

I'm beginning to think that you enjoy disagreeing with me. Lol. :-D

How about this one: Andre Agassi had a $50 million dollar, 5 year contract with a tennis racket company, I don't remember which one, it was in the early 90's. Anyway, he walked away from it after just under a year because he didn't like the equipment. Gave up $40 million dollars and went for over a year without a particular racket sponsor. He eventually settled on a company and they paid him, but it was nowhere near $10 million per year.

You do what you have to in order to win.

Like I said, $10 million is no money for Arod. Why is that hard to figure out? He will have made $250-$300 million by that time. We are talking about 4% of his earnings. That's no money at all. Get the silly $10 million dollar figure out of your head. It's no different than Steinbrenner spending $30 million on the bullpen. It's no money to people who have that much. Even if it was something to consider, it's a small price to pay to have a shot at being a World Champion. Why do you think Steinbrenner spends so much on the Yankees? He wants to win and will do whatever it takes. That's all that Arod wants. He wants to win a World Series.

Arod even said he would give back some money to the Rangers during the season last year in order to help them be more competitive. 8-o Now if that doesn't say that the money doesn't matter, you will never get it.

Arod will walk away after 4 years if the Rangers do not have a legitimate shot at the World Series and sign with someone else. Bank on it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:47 am

I have purposely stayed out of this discussion....although it is a good one.... :-)

but....Welcome to the Cafe' DominicanLou ;-D

:-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby swingaway » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:20 am

Curt Schilling's now in Boston. Will Alex Rodriguez join him?

According to a Thursday report on DallasNews.com, the Texas Rangers would consider trading A-Rod to the Boston Red Sox -- for the right considerations, of course.

Sources told The Dallas Morning News that the Rangers would entertain dealing the $252 million man and 2003 American League MVP to Boston in exchange for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

The catch, according to the report, is that the Red Sox would have to absorb A-Rod's contract, which has seven years and about $180 million left on it; and, the Sox would have to pay part of Ramirez's $20 million-per-season tag. The slugger has four years left on his contract.

"My position on all trades is that I'm not going to comment one way or another," Rangers GM John Hart told the paper.

A major league source told the Morning News that A-Rod would like to join the Red Sox. Another source close to the star shortstop indicated he wants to leave Texas.

The Morning News report said a couple of factors must come into play to complete the trade. Those factors include:

The Rangers saving at least $10 million per year. Half of that savings would come from swapping A-Rod with Ramirez straight up. The rest would need to come from the Red Sox paying part of Ramirez's salary. In essence, the Red Sox would be paying A-Rod an average of $25 million to $30 million for each of the next five years.

For this to happen the Red Sox would have to deal with the Nomar Garciaparra issue, perhaps dealing him to either Anaheim or Los Angeles.
article taken from espn site.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:46 am

swingaway wrote:Curt Schilling's now in Boston. Will Alex Rodriguez join him?

According to a Thursday report on DallasNews.com, the Texas Rangers would consider trading A-Rod to the Boston Red Sox -- for the right considerations, of course.

Sources told The Dallas Morning News that the Rangers would entertain dealing the $252 million man and 2003 American League MVP to Boston in exchange for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

The catch, according to the report, is that the Red Sox would have to absorb A-Rod's contract, which has seven years and about $180 million left on it; and, the Sox would have to pay part of Ramirez's $20 million-per-season tag. The slugger has four years left on his contract.

"My position on all trades is that I'm not going to comment one way or another," Rangers GM John Hart told the paper.

A major league source told the Morning News that A-Rod would like to join the Red Sox. Another source close to the star shortstop indicated he wants to leave Texas.

The Morning News report said a couple of factors must come into play to complete the trade. Those factors include:

The Rangers saving at least $10 million per year. Half of that savings would come from swapping A-Rod with Ramirez straight up. The rest would need to come from the Red Sox paying part of Ramirez's salary. In essence, the Red Sox would be paying A-Rod an average of $25 million to $30 million for each of the next five years.

For this to happen the Red Sox would have to deal with the Nomar Garciaparra issue, perhaps dealing him to either Anaheim or Los Angeles.
article taken from espn site.

No offense, but this topic has been beaten to death.

(Hm...we need a yawning smiley...)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:17 pm

Yep, all the bases have been covered I think.

Bottom line: Arod isn't going anywhere. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers