A-Rod rumors again. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod rumors again.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:39 am

Mad.......I am not doubting you but do you really think that with Boras as his agent, that he would turn down the $27 million coming to him and be a FA, where he might only get like $18-19 million?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Greenrider » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:57 am

Madison wrote:Odds are that it would be two seperate deals, and then you are counting on Boston to give up Nomar for nothing? I can't see that happening.

My vote goes for:
Boston gets A-Rod, Francisco Rodriguez
Texas gets Eckstein, and Manny for a reduced rate after Boston picks up some of his contract, Texas then spends the money on free agent pitching like Colon
Anaheim gets Nomar

-Boston can use K-Rod or Williamson as closer, saving the money that it would have spent on giving Foulke a big deal. bullpen is upgraded, shortstop is upgraded, just need a cheap OF now
-Texas gets OF upgraded, pitching upgraded, gains financial flexibility, weakens SS.
-Anaheim gets a stud SS, weakens its bullpen a little by losing F-Rod
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:28 am

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I am not doubting you but do you really think that with Boras as his agent, that he would turn down the $27 million coming to him and be a FA, where he might only get like $18-19 million?

By the time Arod will have to make the decision, he will have made what, 250-300 million? Do you really think that 7 or 8 million would be a big deal to him? Maybe to Boras, but not to Arod.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:33 am

Greenrider wrote:
Madison wrote:Odds are that it would be two seperate deals, and then you are counting on Boston to give up Nomar for nothing? I can't see that happening.

My vote goes for:
Boston gets A-Rod, Francisco Rodriguez
Texas gets Eckstein, and Manny for a reduced rate after Boston picks up some of his contract, Texas then spends the money on free agent pitching like Colon
Anaheim gets Nomar

-Boston can use K-Rod or Williamson as closer, saving the money that it would have spent on giving Foulke a big deal. bullpen is upgraded, shortstop is upgraded, just need a cheap OF now
-Texas gets OF upgraded, pitching upgraded, gains financial flexibility, weakens SS.
-Anaheim gets a stud SS, weakens its bullpen a little by losing F-Rod

That deal actually makes some sense. ;-D

I'd say that Eckstein would go to Texas and F-Rod would go to Boston, but all in all it makes sense and would seem to be a possibility.

Now watch everyone argue how it doesn't make sense.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:38 am

I don't think Anaheim would do that unless they could sign Nomar to an extension. Why deal K-Rod and Eckstein only to have Nomar walk next year?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:21 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I am not doubting you but do you really think that with Boras as his agent, that he would turn down the $27 million coming to him and be a FA, where he might only get like $18-19 million?

By the time Arod will have to make the decision, he will have made what, 250-300 million? Do you really think that 7 or 8 million would be a big deal to him? Maybe to Boras, but not to Arod.

Mad.......If it was about getting just the money that you need for life and nothing more, all players would just sign 10 year, 1 million dollar contracts. I completely agree with you but players see $8 million extra dollars, would could be 50% of what he might get on the open market.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:23 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:

Mad.......If it was about getting just the money that you need for life and nothing more, all players would just sign 10 year, 1 million dollar contracts. I completely agree with you but players see $8 million extra dollars, would could be 50% of what he might get on the open market.

A lot of people seem to think the Pettitte is going to Houston and walking away from the Yankees and all their money, why is it so hard to believe that Arod wouldn't do the same? Especially if he hasn't won a championship by then.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:33 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:

A lot of people seem to think the Pettitte is going to Houston and walking away from the Yankees and all their money, why is it so hard to believe that Arod wouldn't do the same? Especially if he hasn't won a championship by then.

Mad.......I hope that this isn't angering you as this seems to be a good discussion. It is hard to predict what will be happening in A-Rod's life at that time. As for Pettitte going to Houston, it worries me a lot. The difference here is that he has an established family (with wife and kids) in the Houston area and that means a lot to him. The Yankees can offer more money and the chance to pitch in the postseason yearly. We shall see what happens. It also intrigues me as to what the MLBPA would do if A-Rod turned down $27 million and then signed for much less. I would love to see a player do that but I just find it hard to believe. I also believe that if they lose him, the Sheff deal is for naught and, even if they sign Colon, they will not be the same. I don't even care about the all-righty thing. They need to sign Andy.

P.S. It is snowing here today and the worst of it is expected tomorrow.
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I hope that this isn't angering you as this seems to be a good discussion. It is hard to predict what will be happening in A-Rod's life at that time. As for Pettitte going to Houston, it worries me a lot. The difference here is that he has an established family (with wife and kids) in the Houston area and that means a lot to him. The Yankees can offer more money and the chance to pitch in the postseason yearly. We shall see what happens. It also intrigues me as to what the MLBPA would do if A-Rod turned down $27 million and then signed for much less. I would love to see a player do that but I just find it hard to believe. I also believe that if they lose him, the Sheff deal is for naught and, even if they sign Colon, they will not be the same. I don't even care about the all-righty thing. They need to sign Andy.

P.S. It is snowing here today and the worst of it is expected tomorrow.

Nah, this topic doesn't upset me at all. It's funny at times, and disappointing at times, but not upsetting. I would fully support my Rangers trading Arod as long as there are solid benefits for them to do it. Seems like the team feels the same way.

Manny for Arod straight up? That's funny :-b because it doesn't help the Rangers, like I've already explained.

Arod staying for the money? It's truely dissappointing that a lot of people don't realize that the most important thing in some player's lives is winning a ring. :-/ All ballplayers want to win a ring, and there are quite a few of them who are good enough that they can try and make it happen.

Look at Schilling. He wanted an extension so he could be competitive in his final 3 years. Read his letter to the fans of Arizona, and how he talked about winning the World Series. That was huge in his career. He wouldn't trade it for anything. But yet, a lot of people think Arod would stay in Texas just for the money. :-/ They just don't understand how important winning a championship is to some ballplayers. He doesn't hide how he feels, we read about it every day. I know he's not the happiest man in baseball right now, I've watched it unfold day by day the last three years, especially since I'm 20 minutes from the ballpark and a Ranger fan.

Superstars walk away from money in all sports. Tiger? Andre Agassi? Michael Jordan? Why not baseball? It happens occasionally already. I used Mark McGuire once before and I'll say it again. Mark had a 2 year, 20 million dollar contract on his dresser in his bedroom. All he had to do was sign it, and show up every day. What did he do? He returned the contract unsigned and retired. Ballplayers don't walk away from money? How many examples does everyone need to see in order to believe that some ballplayers are gifted athletes, but have normal feelings just like us?

I do agree that the Yanks could use Pettitte next year. It wouldn't be the kiss of death without him, but it would be a plus to keep him in my opinion. ;-)

Good luck with the snow. :-b We actually got like 2 inches overnight one day last year. That was the most snow I had seen in Texas in a long time. My son and I built a snowman that was bigger than he was. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DominicanLou » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:48 pm

I really do not believe that A-rod will walk away from the rest of his contract. First of all, I doubt the players union would look highly upon such a move and there would be a lot of pressure exerted from that angle. Baseball contracts cant be renogiated, so no player can take a pay cut, in order to keep the pay-outs high for free agents. So imagine what the union would do when their poster-child takes an almost $10 million pay cut per year. It would be unaaceptable from their point of view, and we all know that the union has a tiny bit of power in baseball.

Also, I think he wont want to walk away from the money. Yes he is frustrated, but its just too much money. You dont walk away from that kind of money because an injury might be around the corner that deflates your value. Look at his former teamate, Griffey. He was considered to be better than Arod and now he is barely even mentioned as one of the top players in the game. He was borderline "the greatest player ever" in Seattle, but imagine if the injuries had set in before he became a free agent. He would command very little money on the market now. For that reason you never walk away from guaranteed money, especially if its the most lucrative in the history of the sport.

Also, if you know Arod, you know that he takes pride in what he does. I think he would see it as a failure if he left early and it would seem as if he is quiting on the goals he set. If he threatens to leave, the Rangers could just inflate his ego, and maybe even bribe him with a choice of manager much like what convinced Schilling to go to Boston.

I dont think that the Rangers should trade Arod. The Manny trade definetly does not make much sense unless Boston picks up a large part of the contract, which wont happen, AND they get some value from another team in a three team deal. The Rangers should just keep him as Tex, Blalock and Adrian Gonazalez develop, and wait for Chan ho to finally leave with his contract. The way free agent bids are falling they could get something very nice for the kind of money they are paying Chan ho.

Look for the Rangers in '07
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers