A-Rod rumors again. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod rumors again.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Greenrider » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:56 am

Jivedude wrote:Yes but if you hang on to him for a couple of years then thats a couple years less that he has on that huge contract. He'll be making $20 million the next two years but only $19 million in '06 and $18 million in '07. Maybe by then things will change and someone will be interested in him.

Even supposing he were in the last year of his contract, it would mean that a contender would be paying $10 mil to get Manny for half a season. I highly doubt anyone would do that unless the Sox/Rangers picked up a lot of the money.

In any case, I still say the "you can trade Manny later" idea is mostly infeasible.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jivedude » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:01 am

Greenrider wrote:In any case, I still say the "you can trade Manny later" idea is mostly infeasible.

Yeah, pretty much. I still think Texas should make that deal. It's about their only hope of getting some pitching and turning things around in the next few years.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:11 am

Jivedude, a lousy $5 million is not going to make a significant improvement on our starting staff. It's got to be more than that to be beneficial to the Rangers.

Also, why lock ourselves up for the extra year? Manny's got 5 more years guaranteed, where Arod only has 4. Arod will leave if we are not contenders when his option years come up. I've explained that many times. Same goes for saving a lousy $5 million.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jivedude » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:14 am

Madison wrote:Jivedude, a lousy $5 million is not going to make a significant improvement on our starting staff. It's got to be more than that to be beneficial to the Rangers.

Also, why lock ourselves up for the extra year? Manny's got 5 more years guaranteed, where Arod only has 4. Arod will leave if we are not contenders when his option years come up. I've explained that many times. Same goes for saving a lousy $5 million.

But getting some pitching in a 3 way deal would help. Why not make some effort at improving instead of just resigning the team to mediocrity until A-Rod leaves?
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:19 am

Jivedude wrote:But getting some pitching in a 3 way deal would help. Why not make some effort at improving instead of just resigning the team to mediocrity until A-Rod leaves?

What pitching are you referring to? I've not heard a single name mentioned (other than by me) that would help the Rangers.

I've also not heard anything about a 3 way deal in a couple of weeks. The third team has to get someone. Arod to Boston, Manny to Texas, someone to the third team, and the third team's pitching to Texas. Who's going to give up what, and what will that unknown person get?

I don't see it happening. Boston will have to kick in some of Manny's salary to land Arod. That's the only way, and if the Sox actually do it, then they need to check the drinking water in Boston.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jivedude » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:34 am

Madison wrote:
Jivedude wrote:But getting some pitching in a 3 way deal would help. Why not make some effort at improving instead of just resigning the team to mediocrity until A-Rod leaves?

What pitching are you referring to? I've not heard a single name mentioned (other than by me) that would help the Rangers.

I've also not heard anything about a 3 way deal in a couple of weeks. The third team has to get someone. Arod to Boston, Manny to Texas, someone to the third team, and the third team's pitching to Texas. Who's going to give up what, and what will that unknown person get?

I don't see it happening. Boston will have to kick in some of Manny's salary to land Arod. That's the only way, and if the Sox actually do it, then they need to check the drinking water in Boston.

Well try to involve LA or Anaheim. Obviously, the 3rd team would get Nomar and give up pitching in return. It would be worth it to one of those teams since Nomar wants go to the west coast and they could lock him up long term. Sure it's highly unlikely though.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:40 am

Odds are that it would be two seperate deals, and then you are counting on Boston to give up Nomar for nothing? I can't see that happening.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Jivedude » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:48 am

Madison wrote:Odds are that it would be two seperate deals, and then you are counting on Boston to give up Nomar for nothing? I can't see that happening.

Well not really for nothing. It's worth it to get A-Rod. A-Rod makes $5 million more than Manny. Nomar is getting $11.5 million this year(and would probably want a lot more next year) so getting rid of Nomar would free up $6.5 million to spend on a replacement for Manny and/or put towards resigning Pedro at the end of the year.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:58 am

Madison wrote:Jivedude, a lousy $5 million is not going to make a significant improvement on our starting staff. It's got to be more than that to be beneficial to the Rangers.

A-Rod will not leave if they still aren't contenders. Nobody would turn down that much money. You underestimate today's capitalistic tendencies. A-Rod might seem like a nice guy and a guy who would want to win at all costs. But when you tell him the cost of winning is $27 Million out of his pocket, he'll have a change of heart. I think you're in denial of the fact that the Rangers will be in financial trouble for an extra 2 years. Don't worry, so are they :-B

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:07 am

LBJackal wrote:A-Rod will not leave if they still aren't contenders. Nobody would turn down that much money. You underestimate today's capitalistic tendencies. A-Rod might seem like a nice guy and a guy who would want to win at all costs. But when you tell him the cost of winning is $27 Million out of his pocket, he'll have a change of heart. I think you're in denial of the fact that the Rangers will be in financial trouble for an extra 2 years. Don't worry, so are they :-B

That's funny. Arod won't be losing $27 million. He will get a contract somewhere. No, it won't be as high, but there are some athletes that are financially secure after awhile and then their attention turn toward championships. If you really believe that Arod would stay on a losing team just for the money, then you don't read much about Arod.

As to the Rangers financial situation, no, I'm not concerned. We've run a payroll over $100 million for a few years now without it doing us any good. Why not cut it down and try to start making better deals? That's just good business sense.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers