vazquez to the yankees... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

vazquez to the yankees...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:22 am

Jivedude wrote:Well, now that Johnson is on the Expos, who's going to handle the 1st base job if Giambi can't hack it on a regular basis?

Not that I think that's the Expo's problem or Johnson's problem either, I'm sure that George will sign someone for insurance. Shouldn't be a problem. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gang Green » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:44 am

From what I hear in NY today, the Yanks will look to pick up a slick fielding back-up 1st basemen. J.T. Snow's name keeps coming up. He has a great glove. The hard thing would be convincing J.T. to play for the Yankes but not in a full time capacity.Giambi's knees will probably fail more than a few times, allowing Snow to play significant time at 1st base. When everything is on the line in the playoffs, you know Joe Torre and George aren't going to tolerate Giambi defensively at 1st. They will go out and get somebody.
I also hear the Yankees are trying to obtain Kenny Lofton. They would like to have Kenny leadoff and play center. Matsui in left, Sheffield in right, Bernie DH. When Giambi DH's, Bernie will go to left and Matsui in center, who did a decent job there when he played.Lofton would take a seat on the bench. I don't know how well Lofton would take to not being an everyday player. Probably not too well.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:21 am

Gang Green wrote:When everything is on the line in the playoffs, you know Joe Torre and George aren't going to tolerate Giambi defensively at 1st. They will go out and get somebody.

You don't believe that they pull Giambi for a hack do you? Sure, if NY has a lead in the 9th, i could see pulling Giambi, for say Snow. But pulling a offensive force for a glove at 1b, has no merit, unless you have a lead late. The greater amount of offensive production, way overvalues any gain at defense at 1b. The defensive replacement would have to be nearly Giambis equal on offense. I know Giambi is nimble, but in fairness, he only had 4 errors, and was over league fielding % at 1b .995 to .993.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:38 am

Gang Green wrote:Giambi's knees will probably fail more than a few times, allowing Snow to play significant time at 1st base. When everything is on the line in the playoffs, you know Joe Torre and George aren't going to tolerate Giambi defensively at 1st.

I never understand this...why do teams' strategies vary in the playoffs as opposed to regular season? Isn't the goal to win every game, and to use strategies which give you the best chance? An example is teams playing Small Ball in the playoffs. If they think that gives them a better shot at winning, why not do it al the time? If having a better defensive player at 1B is important in the playoffs, why isn't it in the regular season??? That always gets me.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:46 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Gang Green wrote:When everything is on the line in the playoffs, you know Joe Torre and George aren't going to tolerate Giambi defensively at 1st. They will go out and get somebody.
I know Giambi is nimble, but in fairness, he only had 4 errors, and was over league fielding % at 1b .995 to .993.

Yes, but fielding percentage isn't always accurate of how good a player is defensively. Defensive range has to be accounted for as well. And on throws in the dirt, if the 1B misses it, it's an error on the SS/3B. Those types of things make fielding percentage less of an indicator of how much a player helps you defensively. I know there is a formula to compare total chances, which somewhat reflects range, but is still not very accurate. But I agree, the runs you would lose by not having Giambi batting is more of a detriment than playing him at 1B instead of a better defensive 1B like Snow. There was a post a few days ago stating Giambi's 'runs created', and that far outweighs the amount of runs that would be lost by playing him at 1B.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Gang Green » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:46 pm

When I said that Torre and Steinbrenner wouldn't tolerate Giambi's defense at first base, I didn't say they would take him out of the lineup. That is lunacy. They are going to do what they've done in the past. Put Giambi at DH and put someone with a better glove at 1st base. In the playoffs, one error or one play that they should have made that they don't can cost you a game/series. I don't think that anybody would argue that in a series, your team's defensive lapses/shortcomings will get magnified/exposed.The great conundrum for the Yankees is that Giambi seems to hit better when he plays in the field. Tough call. Now that Johnson has been dealt and considering Giambi's knee problems, you have to go out and sign somebody to play first in case Giambi isn't physically able to play.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers