King George - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

King George

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:01 am

does this mean I get to post Barrys career Biography too?

Yes ?

Cool .... B-)
I'll get started right away ... :-]
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Greenrider » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:47 am

In the spirit of erboes' post, I present you yet another piece of similarly-valuable information. Rarely will I cite a column to back an opinion of mine, but this guy wrote very precisely about something that I have been taking a lot of heat for lately, so I'll place it here for you to read:

Animals do many different, amazing things to get through the winter. Some of them "migrate." This means they travel to other places where the weather is warmer or they can find food.

Many birds migrate in the fall. Because the trip can be dangerous, some travel in large flocks. For example, geese fly in noisy, "V"-shaped groups. Other kinds of birds fly alone.

How do they know when it is time to leave for the winter? Scientists are still studying this. Many see migration as part of a yearly cycle of changes a bird goes through. The cycle is controlled by changes in the amount of daylight and the weather.

Birds can fly very long distances. For example, the Arctic tern nests close to the North Pole in the summer. In autumn, it flys south all the way to Antarctica. Each spring it returns north again.

Most birds migrate shorter distances. But how do they find their way to the same place each year? Birds seem to navigate like sailors once did, using the sun, moon and stars for direction. They also seem to have a compass in their brain for using the Earth's magnetic field.

Other animals migrate, too. There are a few mammals, like some bats, caribou and elk, and whales that travel in search of food each winter. Many fish migrate. They may swim south, or move into deeper, warmer water.

Insects also migrate. Some butterflies and moths fly very long distances. For example, Monarch butterflies spend the summer in Canada and the Northern U.S. They migrate as far south as Mexico for the winter. Most migrating insects go much shorter distances. Many, like termites and Japanese beetles, move downward into the soil. Earthworms also move down, some as far as six feet below the surface.

source: http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/animals.html
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:28 pm

just replace 2003 with 2004.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/yankees.html

NEW YORK—With a week to go before pitchers and catchers report for spring training, the New York Yankees shored up their pitching, hitting, and defense Monday by signing every player in professional baseball.

"We'd like to welcome the entire roster of Major League Baseball into the Yankees family," said team owner George Steinbrenner, watching as the franchise's 928 newest additions held up their pinstripes at a Yankee Stadium press conference. "With these acquisitions, we are in position to finally nab that elusive 27th World Series title."

Sports reporters were not surprised by the move.

"This is not entirely unexpected," New York Times baseball writer Murray Chass said. "When the Yankees followed up their signing of Japanese slugger Hideki 'Godzilla' Matsui by annexing Cuba for use as a Triple-A farm club, it was clear that Steinbrenner was willing to do whatever it takes to win."

By noon, Yankees GM Brian Cashman had signed the entire National League and most of the American League to multi-year contracts. Some 10 hours later, the final opposing player, Texas Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez, had been acquired by the Yankees, who bought out the remainder of his $252 million contract for $300 million.

"It's an honor to be part of this team," said catcher Benito Santiago, picked up from the San Francisco Giants as insurance in case catchers Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mike Piazza all go down with injuries. "It's a surprise, certainly, but I'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity to play on what is, by default, the greatest team in baseball."

Yankees manager Joe Torre, whose pitching rotation, prior to the mass signing, lacked a clear seventh ace, now has the luxury of starting each of his hurlers twice a season.

"As they say, you can never have enough pitching in this league," Torre said. "Especially come playoff time. Now, if we make it to the World Series, we'll be able to start Pedro Martinez in Game 1 and still have him fresh and ready to go for a Game 287, should it be necessary."

With so many egos to juggle and so many personnel decisions to make, Torre said his job will actually be harder this season, the lack of opposing players notwithstanding.

"Hey, I don't care who you've got on your team; winning in this league is tough—Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson or no Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson," Torre said. "And it's even tougher in New York. This is a baseball town, and some of these fans think the Yankees are the only team in baseball. Now that we truly are, the pressure to win will be that much greater."

The mass signing, extravagant even by Yankees standards, caused the Bronx Bombers' payroll to skyrocket from a former league high of $149 million to $5.6 billion. Cashman noted that much of that figure is tied up in bonuses to be paid out to pitcher Tom Glavine, who at 37 will almost certainly not play out the entirety of his 15-year contract.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig approved the signing, noting that the other 29 major-league teams received ample financial compensation.

"I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said. "The league was due for contraction, anyway."
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:37 pm

Lmao. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:47 am

Hey Erboes, if I knew where you lived, I'd come give you a hug. These guys housed you!

Cut him some slack, kids.

:-)
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:04 am

Madison wrote:Ok, I read it. Do I get a cookie? :-B

So Steinbrenner makes some mistakes, it's not like he can't afford to. If I made $600 million a year, I'd do what I wanted to as well.

Oh, and I'm not a Yankee fan. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them either. Neutral is where I'm at. ;-)

No way you are going to get a cookie since no one was going to give me one of I proved that LBJackal doesn't know a ton about baseball :-b .

If we had a cookie distributing judicial branch, you may have a case :-D .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bell » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:24 am

shortsavage wrote:If we had a cookie distributing judicial branch, you may have a case :-D .

We'd most certainly have a scandal of Enron-like proportions on our hands if there was a cookie distributing judicial branch!

I'd be more than happy to ensure that such a thing wouldn't occur (:-D), therefore offering my services to head such a cookie distributing judicial branch as conceived by shortsavage.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:37 am

timkell wrote:Hey Erboes, if I knew where you lived, I'd come give you a hug. These guys housed you!

Thats right erbos .... you can stay at my place anytime ;-D I'll kick the dog off the couch for ya, and even fluff it up a little .. :-)

Hey we were just playing, never anything personal ... so hussle back in here and accept my apolgies ... :-)

*oh and thanks for the 'George is in charge/Biography'
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:07 am

wrveres wrote:
timkell wrote:Hey Erboes, if I knew where you lived, I'd come give you a hug. These guys housed you!

Thats right erbos .... you can stay at my place anytime ;-D I'll kick the dog off the couch for ya, and even fluff it up a little .. :-)

Hey we were just playing, never anything personal ... so hussle back in here and accept my apolgies ... :-)

*oh and thanks for the 'George is in charge/Biography'

LMAO...but should I wake up now......YAWN....... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Erboes » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:47 am

Am I leaving the impression that I am upset? It's actually funny stuff, so don't worry about it.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers