Strategic Differences b/t (a) Head-to-Head and (b) 5x5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategic Differences b/t (a) Head-to-Head and (b) 5x5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategic Differences b/t (a) Head-to-Head and (b) 5x5

Postby BKeller » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:25 pm

My first post--I've loved some of the discussions I've seen on here, so your good insights have lured me into the Cafe.

I'm experienced with H2H fantasy baseball, but am entering a competitive 15-team Roto league which is the first time I've played in Roto since 1989. To avoid being the Detroit Tigers of my league, I wanted to see what you think are the key strategic differences in the two formats. (I.e., Roto versus H2H, standard 5x5 categories).

By way of example:

Are there differences in draft strategy?

And during the season, how much and how quickly do you react to how people are doing in categories and how much do you rely on targets that you set at the beginning of the year? (E.g., if you're in the middle of the pack on HRs after a month but you're on target with what past stats suggest should suffice to win the category, how much do you alter your approach to chase the leaders?)

Thanks for any insight into these and other differences between the two formats. I haven't found any good discussion about the finer points of the different formats so hopefully y'all will have some thoughts. Thanks!
BKeller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 77
Joined: 4 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:27 pm

The difference with head-to-head is pitching. Get it and get a lot of it, unless you have any limits on innings or starts. Regardless, it's a sound idea to have a good staff if you want to win.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1433
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Swinger » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:32 pm

I've never played H2H before, but I've always thought consistency (instead of hot streaks) is rather important.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 808
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:01 pm

Well I have played both, but I much prefer 5x5 .... You need a little more balanced team, you can't punt categories and usually the best team wins IMO. In H2H this is not always true. In H2H a strong staff is key, You can win each week with excellent pitching and just target a few offensive categories, ideally Speed, Runs and BA ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31629
(Past Year: 1146)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:53 pm

First off...Welcome to the Cafe'...... ;-D

As wrveres said....In roto you have to have a more balanced team....You have to have a line-up from top to bottom that will produce for you.....weak links can get you behind in a hurry...and you won't have next week to catch up....also...you cannot punt catagories and expect to be competitive....

With that said....in draft strategy....you have to draft a team that will compete in all 10 categories....To do this, scouting becomes much more important....you have to know what players will produce, and in what ways....then draft players that will best production in all the categories.....and since hittting and pitching a weighed the same (5 cats each)....you have to draft a balance between the two....



BKeller wrote:how much and how quickly do you react to how people are doing in categories and how much do you rely on targets that you set at the beginning of the year? (E.g., if you're in the middle of the pack on HRs after a month but you're on target with what past stats suggest should suffice to win the category, how much do you alter your approach to chase the leaders?)


generally a month is not enough to determine how you team will perform....alot of players get off to a slow start...and really don't get going before that....but a good rule of thumb is after two months...if you are falling behind in a catagory then it is time to start seriously making moves to change.....again though...scouting your players and knowing their tendencies (splits) will help in this decision too....

Hope that helps....and enjoy the Cafe'..... :-)


btw...roto is much better than H2H..... :-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13084
Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: floating around on the 3rd rock

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:35 pm

wrveres wrote:Well I have played both, but I much prefer 5x5 .... You need a little more balanced team, you can't punt categories and usually the best team wins IMO. In H2H this is not always true. In H2H a strong staff is key, You can win each week with excellent pitching and just target a few offensive categories, ideally Speed, Runs and BA ...


I play h2h exactly opposite from the way wrveres explained but on the same principal. I load up on hitting at the beginning of the draft and while everyone else are taking pitchers I try to fill my offense with players who have good avg. power and can steal a few bases. After that I try to get 3 really strong relivers. At the end of the draft I fill my pitching staff with the best available and young sleepers I have scouted over the winter. My logic behind this is to win most or all offensive categorys, lead saves, and era for the week. If I can get 2 pitching cats. and 4 offensive cats in a 5x5 league you win every time.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby MikeeDee » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:39 pm

I think like the others said in roto you need to have more balance. Like Kentx12 I draft lots of hitting and one or two stud pitchers. Then near the end of the draft I fill my roster with relief pitchers who throw k's and have a good whip. I think this strategy is succesfull, because hitting is more predictable than pitching.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1619
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:31 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:First off...Welcome to the Cafe'...... ;-D

As wrveres said....In roto you have to have a more balanced team....You have to have a line-up from top to bottom that will produce for you.....weak links can get you behind in a hurry...and you won't have next week to catch up....also...you cannot punt catagories and expect to be competitive....

With that said....in draft strategy....you have to draft a team that will compete in all 10 categories....To do this, scouting becomes much more important....you have to know what players will produce, and in what ways....then draft players that will best production in all the categories.....and since hittting and pitching a weighed the same (5 cats each)....you have to draft a balance between the two....



BKeller wrote:how much and how quickly do you react to how people are doing in categories and how much do you rely on targets that you set at the beginning of the year? (E.g., if you're in the middle of the pack on HRs after a month but you're on target with what past stats suggest should suffice to win the category, how much do you alter your approach to chase the leaders?)


generally a month is not enough to determine how you team will perform....alot of players get off to a slow start...and really don't get going before that....but a good rule of thumb is after two months...if you are falling behind in a catagory then it is time to start seriously making moves to change.....again though...scouting your players and knowing their tendencies (splits) will help in this decision too....

Hope that helps....and enjoy the Cafe'..... :-)


btw...roto is much better than H2H..... :-D


Well put. ;-D

Welcome to the Cafe' BKeller! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby mtarail » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:47 pm

I'm curious because I haven't done H2H baseball but I'm in a H2H hoops league. So someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like you need to take less injury risks on players during drafts. Since you only have 1 IL spot and there are no maximum game/innings pitched limits a few injured players can be the difference between winning and losing that week. Unlike roto, where you can maintain a few injured guys on your roster as long as most of your starting lineup is set.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby Pedantic » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:06 pm

mtarail wrote:I'm curious because I haven't done H2H baseball but I'm in a H2H hoops league. So someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like you need to take less injury risks on players during drafts. Since you only have 1 IL spot and there are no maximum game/innings pitched limits a few injured players can be the difference between winning and losing that week. Unlike roto, where you can maintain a few injured guys on your roster as long as most of your starting lineup is set.


Heh, only one year, and I have a wee bit o' experience with losing players to injury. I've never played roto before, but I know that watching the "waiver wire" is key. Also, to win, one must not only dominate a few categories, but every single damn category. You can't just draft a bunch of lead-footed sluggers, you have to have a balance--same with relief pitching. Getting a reliable closer is paramount.
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: footballisbetter.com, germani40, Izenhart, Johnesmype, Millhouse and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact