Wikipedia too liberal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wikipedia too liberal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:15 pm

StlSluggers wrote:There's a big stink going on here in St. Louis regarding the largest electric company, AmerenUE. There were two really bad storms last year that knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of people on the hottest and coldest days of the year, respectively. Power was out for many, many days, and more than a few people were up in arms over the Ameren's inability to keep trees trimmed and to restore power quickly (just ask Pogo).

So Ameren decided to do something about it. They said they were going to launch a major initiative to get things right, but they were going to need to raise rates in order to do so. Never mind that they made $300 million last year. They needed more money in order to institute these changes, stay financially sound, and to keep their bond rating up. So the Illinois legislature dropped Ameren's rate freeze - and they hiked prices as much as 400% in some areas. My mother-in-law saw her electric bill go from just over $100 to nearly $400 in one month. Meanwhile, Ameren is pitching the same sob story to Missouri wanting to raise their rates here, too.

So exactly how bad is it at Ameren? They're so cash-strapped, they decided they should "only" pay their CEO $4.4 million in compensation after a year that saw the two worst power outages in St. Louis' history.

I really need to get a monopoly. :-°

Poor CEO how will he buy his childrens love and afford call girls? And that might only leave a million to give to the republican party :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:18 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I really need to get a monopoly. :-°

You don't even need the monopoly; just buy a bunch of shares in Ameren. After all, at the end of the day, they only have one objective: increase shareholder wealth. They don't care about your power, or your grandmother's electric bills.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Coppermine wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I really need to get a monopoly. :-°

You don't even need the monopoly; just buy a bunch of shares in Ameren. After all, at the end of the day, they only have one objective: increase shareholder wealth. They don't care about your power, or your grandmother's electric bills.

Of course they are probably secretly investing in Iranian Plutonium refinery which can't be a good thing in the long run. If the CEO quits and goes to South America you should probably take what you have and leave
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Well here's all I have to say... if Conservapedia is a joke or a hoax, it's doing a really lousy job at being "funny."

They should have taken a page from Uncyclopedia, which features an array of fictitious and largely hilarious entries... provided you have the time and sense of humor to go through them.

Here is one of my favorites though for your enjoyment:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/List_of_me ... but_should

(And yes, even Amazinz can appreciate this one... it's largely apolitical) :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:23 am

Coppermine wrote:Well here's all I have to say... if Conservapedia is a joke or a hoax, it's doing a really lousy job at being "funny."

They should have taken a page from Uncyclopedia, which features an array of fictitious and largely hilarious entries... provided you have the time and sense of humor to go through them.

nice...this one's even better
List of animals that dont exist but should
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:41 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Well here's all I have to say... if Conservapedia is a joke or a hoax, it's doing a really lousy job at being "funny."

nice...this one's even better
List of animals that dont exist but should

Yeah, the animals one is pretty funny.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:26 pm

Traffic ranking among conservative websites as of March 8th (by Alexa):

1. Conservapedia
2. Rush Limbaugh
3. Sean Hannity
4. Bill O'Reilly

O'Reilly has to be pissed...I didn't think "conservatives" paid much attention to Limbaugh anymore, :-?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:I may be wrong, but I think they might be trying to say that Wikipedia is homosexual. Or at least supports the homosexual agenda.

I can confirm that Wikipedia is indeed a homosexual. The website tried to solicit me for sex last week.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-b

Seriously, I find Wikipedia unbelievably useful. Obviously you want to get some confirmation on anything important but it's a wealth of information. I can see why there's some issues with Wikipedia though. Sinbad recently had to deal with hundreds of phone calls and text messages after a Wikipedia article reported that he had just died of a heart attack. Several other famous people have had defamatory false information added to their Wikipedia pages. Those type of situations may end up with Wikipedia getting shut down due to lawsuits at some point. Sinbad had a sense of humor about it but at some point one of the posters to Wikipedia will step too far over the line and things are going to get ugly.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:15 am

Looks like Uncyclopedia authors needs to read more Wikipedia and learn what the term melee weapon refers to. Not sure how any nuclear missile (even those loaded with swords) could be considered melee. :-P

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:01 am

Good point. Thrown swords are indeed missile weapons. You'll have to factor in the deflection bonus. Although you'll probably lose the AC Dodge modifier. I'm pretty sure you're automatically flatfooted when in the radius of nuclear detonation. I'd have to double-check with Sluggers though. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk