Wikipedia too liberal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wikipedia too liberal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Wikipedia definition:
A website or similar online resource which allows Nazis to add and edit content collectively.

True story.

Well this is what it says about wikipedia's "bias":

Wikipedia has been accused of many biased entries. The article detailing these is found here: Examples of Bias in Wikipedia.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:56 pm

thedude wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Wikipedia definition:
A website or similar online resource which allows Nazis to add and edit content collectively.

True story.

Well this is what it says about wikipedia's "bias":

Wikipedia has been accused of many biased entries. The article detailing these is found here: Examples of Bias in Wikipedia.

I love their 12th 'Example of Bias':

Wikipedia often uses foreign spelling of words, even though most English-speaking users are American. Look up "Most Favored Nation" on Wikipedia and it automatically converts the spelling to the British spelling "Most Favoured Nation." Look up "Division of labor" on Wikipedia and it automatically converts to the British spelling "Division of labour," then insists on the British spelling for "specialization" also.[14] Enter "Hapsburg" (the European ruling family) and Wikipedia automatically changes the spelling to Habsburg, even though the American spelling has always been "Hapsburg". Within entries British spellings appear in the silliest of places, even when the topic is American. Conservapedia favors American spellings of words.

Have to say that I'm with Wikipedia on this one ;-)
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 pm

theory of relativity wrote:Nothing useful has even been built based on the theory of relativity.…'All things are relative' became popular as atheists and others used relativity to attack Christian values. There remains enormous political support for the theory of relativity that has nothing to do with physics, and Congress continues to spend billions of dollars unsuccessfully searching for particles predicted by the theory of relativity

Sir Isaac Newton wrote:Sir Isaac Newton was one of the inventors of calculus and the propsed the theory of gravity. He was a Devout Christian whose discoveries were inspired by God.

Global Warming wrote:The theory is widely accepted within the scientific community despite a lack of any conclusive evidence. ...It should be noted that these scientists are largely motivated by a need for grant money in their fields. Therefore, their work can not be considered unbiased. Also, these scientists are mostly liberal athiests, untroubled by the hubris that man can destroy the Earth which God gave him.

The next one was erased but I swear it used to be up...

Stalin wrote:Josef Stalin was an atheist communist Russian dictator during World War II. He was defeated by Adolph Hitler, despite Hitler also being an atheist

Some searches are better if there isn't an entry...

logic wrote:There is no page titled "logic". You can create this page.

This site is ridiculous. And as for the discussion between Amazinz and Coppermine, it's not a hoax. However, the people who write for it are obviously idiots and do not represent any average republican or christian. They are simply uneducated - and using that site to make sure their kids are no better off.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BGbootha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:and using that site to make sure their kids are no better off.

and this is the scariest part. :-o
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:12 pm

It is a hoax, whether or not the founder created the site with legitimate intentions, because it ended up attracting people parodying conservatism rather than being a encyclopedia created by conservative intellectuals. It amounts to serve no purpose other than to get a reaction from people who fear conservatism. I doubt you have many people educating their children via Conservpedia but you have an awful lot of liberals sitting around reacting to the possibility (post before mine case in point).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:It is a hoax, whether or not the founder created the site with legitimate intentions, because it ended up attracting people parodying conservatism rather than being a encyclopedia created by conservative intellectuals. It amounts to serve no purpose other than to get a reaction from people who fear conservatism. I doubt you have many people educating their children via Conservpedia but you have an awful lot of liberals sitting around reacting to the possibility (post before mine case in point).

While I truly wish this was the case....I have seen curriculum for home schooled children, that is widely used in parts of the United States (again for homeschooled children) and it very closely resembles this type of information. In fact my cousins were all homeschooled and thier World history book started with the story of Adam and Eve. :-o
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:51 am

George W. Bush wrote:Though the liberal media continues to disparage Bush's handling of the economy, they often neglect to report the many aspects of the economy that Bush has improved. For example, during his term Exxon Mobile has posted the largest profit of any company in a signle year, and executive salaries have greatly increased as well [5]. This is due to changes in the stock market that lead to a record high in 2006, recovering from the Clinton years which lead to the lowest point of the stock market in January 2000 AD since the great depression of 1929 AD, and "Companies are churning out double-digit profit growth" currently.[6] Even the working class is benefiting from the Bush economy, as unemployment hits an all time low in March 2007.[7] Bush worked with Democrats to raise the minimum wage to a more livable level.[8]

:-D Another entertaining Conservapedia moment.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 am

For example, during his term Exxon Mobile has posted the largest profit of any company in a signle year, and executive salaries have greatly increased as well

Thank god the rich are getting richer!! ;-D I was worried they were only going to stay rich and not increase their income.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:43 am

acsguitar wrote:
For example, during his term Exxon Mobile has posted the largest profit of any company in a signle year, and executive salaries have greatly increased as well

Thank god the rich are getting richer!! ;-D I was worried they were only going to stay rich and not increase their income.

Sweet, executive salaries have increased! Woo hoo, I'm so glad my bosses are get raises. ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 am

There's a big stink going on here in St. Louis regarding the largest electric company, AmerenUE. There were two really bad storms last year that knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of people on the hottest and coldest days of the year, respectively. Power was out for many, many days, and more than a few people were up in arms over the Ameren's inability to keep trees trimmed and to restore power quickly (just ask Pogo).

So Ameren decided to do something about it. They said they were going to launch a major initiative to get things right, but they were going to need to raise rates in order to do so. Never mind that they made $300 million last year. They needed more money in order to institute these changes, stay financially sound, and to keep their bond rating up. So the Illinois legislature dropped Ameren's rate freeze - and they hiked prices as much as 400% in some areas. My mother-in-law saw her electric bill go from just over $100 to nearly $400 in one month. Meanwhile, Ameren is pitching the same sob story to Missouri wanting to raise their rates here, too.

So exactly how bad is it at Ameren? They're so cash-strapped, they decided they should "only" pay their CEO $4.4 million in compensation after a year that saw the two worst power outages in St. Louis' history.

I really need to get a monopoly. :-°
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk