Wikipedia too liberal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wikipedia too liberal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm

You did quite a bit of research? Lol. What did that research entail other than the Sun article and the leftist blogs. I bet you really enjoy the Jon Swift blog as well. I think you are being gullible but to each his own.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:You did quite a bit of research? Lol. What did that research entail other than the Sun article and the leftist blogs. I bet you really enjoy the Jon Swift blog as well. I think you are being gullible but to each his own.

I didn't read any blogs, I just wanted to see if it was fake or a joke. I couldn't find any evidence that it is; do you have some?

I don't want to seem like one of those people who start quoting Colbert like he's serious, but I first heard about it on NPR... so, I mean, you can call them liberal communists if you want, but I'm pretty sure that the content of the site is sincere.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:23 pm

After reading the kangeroo entry and the Bill Clinton entry I'm pretty sure it is a hoax.

He did not at any point get the United States involved in an unwinnable war that cost the nation trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives for no particular purpose other than personal vendetta.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:After reading the kangeroo entry and the Bill Clinton entry I'm pretty sure it is a hoax.

He did not at any point get the United States involved in an unwinnable war that cost the nation trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives for no particular purpose other than personal vendetta.

OK, that certainly seems to be pushing the limits of what's reasonable, but I still can't find anything to suggest it's fake. If it is, then the joke's clearly on me for being a slave to liberal blogs (although I've never read a liberal blog in my life).

The Weekly Standard doesn't mention it, and Fox News has a link pointing to an article from The Guardian... which I assume is considered liberal because it comes to same conclusion that it's a real site that's full of ridiculous stuff.

I mean, the site really is funny to both level-headed liberals and conservatives alike and It's clear that people are going in and editing some of the entries with truly outrageous things.... but that doesn't mean someone isn't taking the site itself and its creation seriously.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm not trying to trash liberal blogs. I am a huge fan of several liberal blogs. It's just that this story (since JAN) has really lived on the left blog network. That's not a condemnation of them. There's been similar stories with the blogging right.

I think it is easy enough for you to believe because you believe that conservatives and people of faith are inherently stupid. You'll deny that but to me it's evident in your posts regarding these polarizing topics. I also don't think I can prove this beyond the shadow of a doubt and anything less would be a waste of time.

I think I would rather have you lump me in with the hopeless nut jobs than try to convince you of anything. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:41 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:After reading the kangeroo entry and the Bill Clinton entry I'm pretty sure it is a hoax.

OK, that certainly seems to be pushing the limits of what's reasonable, but I still can't find anything to suggest it's fake. If it is, then the joke's clearly on me for being a slave to liberal blogs (although I've never read a liberal blog in my life).

The Weekly Standard doesn't mention it, and Fox News has a link pointing to an article from The Guardian... which I assume is considered liberal because it comes to same conclusion that it's a real site that's full of ridiculous stuff.

I mean, the site really is funny to both level-headed liberals and conservatives alike and It's clear that people are going in and editing some of the entries with truly outrageous things.... but that doesn't mean someone isn't taking the site itself and its creation seriously.

That's always a concern with online content. If it's a joke it needs to be clearly a joke or there are lots of gulls out there who will believe it.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not trying to trash liberal blogs. I am a huge fan of several liberal blogs. It's just that this story (since JAN) has really lived on the left blog network. That's not a condemnation of them. There's been similar stories with the blogging right.

I think it is easy enough for you to believe because you believe that conservatives and people of faith are inherently stupid. You'll deny that but to me it's evident in your posts regarding these polarizing topics. I also don't think I can prove this beyond the shadow of a doubt and anything less would be a waste of time.

I think I would rather have you lump me in with the hopeless nut jobs than try to convince you of anything. :-D

I may not be conservative, or a person of faith, but a lot of people close to me are... a lot of intelligent and interesting people. I don't know, it seems to me that you're lumping me into a stereotype of the typical liberal who thinks you're stupid.

Again, the first and only time I ever heard about this was on an NPR report and interview with the founder of the site. You immediately attacked me and I just thought it was funny and worth an interesting discussion.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Whoah. Wait a second. I never attacked you. I feel like you were being gullible in this case. That's not an attack IMO. Also, I am not stereotyping. I have formed my opinion of you based on your posts and your approach to conservative vs. liberal discussions. I have also formed the opinion that you're very intelligent. Using your posts to base an opinion on someone is probably not a bullet-proof method but it's your choice to present yourself the way you do and it's all I have to go on.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Amazinz wrote:Whoah. Wait a second. I never attacked you. I feel like you were being gullible in this case. That's not an attack IMO. Also, I am not stereotyping. I have formed my opinion of you based on your posts and your approach to conservative vs. liberal discussions. I have also formed the opinion that you're very intelligent. Using your posts to base an opinion on someone is probably not a bullet-proof method but it's your choice to present yourself the way you do and it's all I have to go on.

That's cool, but I still don't see how I'm being gullible since the site itself doesn't seem to have been created as a joke or hoax. And I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes make mildly inflammatory posts simply to spark discussion (something that has been lacking from GT lately).

Personally I don't think it's fair the way you've categorized me; it seems more like a perception that conservatives have toward anyong who disagrees with them and yes, it does work both ways.

Back to the matter at hand, and I suppose I should make the disclaimer now that I'm taking my approach toward Conservapedia with a grain of salt... but here is a link to the NPR story I heard that sparked this discussion (which is good natured and not in any way meant to offend!!):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=8286084
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:15 pm

I listened to it and the interview was very professional. I can understand why it piqued you interest. Still I don't understand why perusing the site didn't raise major red flags for you. Whatever the site is, I think it is evident that the information posted on it is not taken seriously. Say what you will about the conservative machine but they clearly know how to "sell it" and this site has no clue. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk