Missing Dog's Head Returned?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Missing Dog's Head Returned?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:19 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Disturbing story, I hope Twin Cities police are all over this guy, the dude's messed up.

coulda been a chick
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:46 pm

The box had batteries on top, and a note that said "Congratulations Crystal. This side up. Batteries included."

Crystal opened the box and found her dog's head inside. The box also contained Valentine's Day candy.

:-S

What a sicko......
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Hope he somehow rots in prison...in Federal P me in the A prison to quote the movie "The Office."
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 pm

acsguitar wrote:coulda been a chick

Actually quite true. Teenage girls can be vicious.

It's someone she knows. A guy she blew off, a girl whose man she stole, something.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Hope he somehow rots in prison...in Federal P me in the A prison to quote the movie "The Office."

Office Space?

And that story is ridiculously wrong. :-t
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby pokeyjoe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Mugrila wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Hope he somehow rots in prison...in Federal P me in the A prison to quote the movie "The Office."

Office Space?

And that story is ridiculously wrong. :-t

Yea, I think he meant Office Space. And that story is sick. I have a dog that I love, and I would beat the **** out of anyone who did far less than that to her. Whoever would do someone like that is either insane or insanely evil...
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zepfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 pm

TheRock wrote:
acsguitar wrote:coulda been a chick

Actually quite true. Teenage girls can be vicious.

It's someone she knows. A guy she blew off, a girl whose man she stole, something.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that this was just an extreme case of bullying. This quote kind of makes me think she may not have had a lot of friends.

"I felt empty," Crystal told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. "I couldn't talk to anyone. He was my dog. It was just me and him. ... I told him everything and he never shared any of my secrets."

I could see someone like that becoming a target for a stupid kid with too much time on his hands. Either way, it's a horrible story. :-t

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby LiveForever » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 am

***Update***

Suspect's arrest eases fears of girl whose dog was beheaded
An arrest and overwhelming kindness from around the world have brought relief and hope to a St. Paul girl.

By Mary Lynn Smith, Star Tribune
Crystal Brown hopes that her nightmares will stop now that St. Paul police have arrested the man they believe decapitated her therapy dog and left its head in a gift box on her doorstep.

On Thursday, police recovered evidence that connects the man to the crime, Sgt. Jim Gray said. "He admitted to being there [when the dog was beheaded]," Gray said.

The suspect, 24, was jailed Thursday on suspicion of making terroristic threats. The Star Tribune isn't using his name because he hasn't yet been charged; that may happen as early as today and could include animal cruelty charges as well.

"I think I can sleep a lot better now," Crystal, 17, said Thursday night. "It will make me feel way safer. Now we can walk around the whole block."

For three weeks, Crystal and her grandmother, Shirley Brown, have lived in fear of the suspect, who lives in the Rice Street-area neighborhood.

Police also are investigating whether others were involved in the crime, which has generated national media attention and an outpouring of sympathy for Crystal in the form of cards, checks and gifts from people around the world.

A world turned upside down

Crystal was devastated last month when Chevy, her 4-year-old Australian shepherd mix, left the house and couldn't be found. She considered the brown-eyed dog her best friend, and leaned on him for comfort and support.

Two weeks after Chevy disappeared, a gift box arrived at the front door addressed to Crystal. Inside, she found valentine candy scattered about and a garbage bag containing Chevy's head.

The suspect is a man whom Crystal had once befriended.

"He really has no one," she said. "He has no friends. I felt sorry for him."

He wanted Crystal to be his girlfriend. But she didn't want that, she said.

The family immediately suspected him in Chevy's killing. "I didn't know what he would do next," Shirley Brown said. "I wanted to stay awake in case someone came in."

Chevy's body was found in a park, and homicide investigators took on the case because of the implied threat against Crystal. She said she was more scared for her new puppy than for herself.

But she said that she tired of the ache inside as she lay in bed each night, imagining what Chevy's last moments were like.

"That dog was her heart and soul," said Shirley Brown. "She's never related to people. She's been so hurt by others ... Her father abandoned her. Her mother has had problems with drugs."

Said Crystal: "I was always the delinquent child that nobody wanted or liked. I didn't have friends. I lived in a tough neighborhood. I really didn't want to be a tough person. But I made my own problems."

Crystal went through a drug phase, and has been diagnosed with depression. She has bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder, her grandmother said. Crystal "had so many problems that people didn't want her around," Shirley Brown said. "She just needed a push in the right direction and a firm hand."

And Crystal needed Chevy.

"He and I had a lot of history together," Crystal said. "He listened. And he never stopped listening."

Losing Chevy turned her world inside out. Life was harsh; people seemed cruel.

The touch of humanity

But sitting at the kitchen table this week, Crystal opened stacks of cards, letters and gifts sent from people around the world.

The story was covered on radio and TV and in newspapers across the country. The TV show "America's Most Wanted" posted the case on its website, the first time in recent memory that it had featured a crime against a dog.

"It was cruel and beyond the unusual," said Christopher Brown, the show's managing editor. And anyone capable of such a crime might easily turn next time to people, he said.

A $2,500 reward offered by the Humane Society of the United States quickly mushroomed with donations, growing to $20,000.

"This by far was the biggest response to a reward that we've initiated," said Dale Bartlett, the Humane Society's deputy manager for animal cruelty issues.

Reading the letters and opening packages sent from people around the country and from as far as Australia -- heartfelt notes, photos of pets, dog toys and treats, gift cards and checks -- Crystal and Shirley Brown were touched by the kindness of strangers.

"I don't think everybody is bad anymore," Crystal said. "This is so amazing. ... It makes me feel inspired. People can make a difference."

Staff writer Paul Gutafson contributed to this report. Mary Lynn Smith • 651-298-1550 • mailto:mlsmith@startribune.com

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1074034.html
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SweetAurillia » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 am

Glad to hear he's caught... he needs help. I just gave my dog a big hug after reading this story :,-(
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:31 am

Good to see that guy is in custody and she can work towards normalcy. I hope they come down on him harshly should he be convicted.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk