Hey Transmogrifier - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hey Transmogrifier

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:Lemme clarify. Sure, Nick Johnson is extremely patient, but I don't think his OBP makes him worth more than a stud pitcher like Javier Vazquez. Nick may have had good regular season numbers with runners on, but this guy choked in post-season. He wasn't clutch for us. Plus, I think trading him opens the door to signing a solid glove at 1B that we haven't had since Tino. I watch Nick play the field, and trust me, his defense was overrated.

A few things:

1) I think the Yankees got Vazquez pretty cheap if they are able to extend his contract.

2) However, my point was that, knowing the Yankees would sign a stud pitcher, I was pleased that they had to give up a good player in Johnson.

3) His defense is much, much, much better than Giambi. I hear the word is they might sign someone like JT Snow, but either way, either Bernie or Giambi will be playing the field more. That's not good.

4) I'm not going to get into the clutch/choke thing. It doesn't exist.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:43 pm

Giambi being bad defensively is a myth. Athletic fans should know this. This guy saved Tejada and Chavez many an error with his soft hands. Sure, his range is limited, but I hate how people quickly write him off defensively. Nick Johnson couldn't scoop for crap and cost us runs. I'm sorry, but as a guy that watches Nick's D and would constantly complain how overrated it was, it annoys me for people to praise him and rip Giambi, who saves more errors with his soft hands than many people give him credit for.

PS. I'd rather we get Palmeiro for 1B/DH duties. But that's just greedy on my part. :-B

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:45 pm

You're definitely right about Bernie though. His range has been very limited the past few years and his throwing arm is even weaker than Johnny Damons. There's nothing Bernie offers in CF anymore, and it's sinful that they are gonna keep him there. At the very least, I'd move Matsui to CF and get Bernie in LF.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby kentx12 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:12 pm

I believe that the guest might be just a little hard headed.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Hey Transmogrifier

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:06 am

Transmogrifier wrote:And Arlo might teach you the secret handshake, but here I am 1,900 posts in and I don't know it yet. :-D

The secret handshake is.....ooppsss...nevermind, I can't show that on the boards...... :-b

kentx12 wrote:I believe that the guest might be just a little hard headed.

you might be right.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:29 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:And Arlo might teach you the secret handshake, but here I am 1,900 posts in and I don't know it yet. :-D

The secret handshake is.....ooppsss...nevermind, I can't show that on the boards...... :-b

Damn, and we were so close. B-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:16 pm

If anyone thinks that Giambi is a good defensive first baseman, they're deluding themselves. Those knees are killing him, and offseason surgery hasn't helped, apparently.

I'd love to look into possible comparisions between Mo Vaughn and Giambi, but don't have the time. In my head they seem right, but the stats probably aren't. :-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:49 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:

you might be right.... :-)

Not in public DHC! 8-o Lmao! :-D

As to hard headed, we can all be that way sometimes. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers