Hey Transmogrifier - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hey Transmogrifier

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hey Transmogrifier

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:06 pm

Sorry that I can't message you in another way, but how can you possibly say you like that the Yanks got Vazquez for Nick Johnson? I've read it on a lot of posts. As a Yankee fan, Nick Johnson's defense is entirely overrated. He made one good catch off Ortiz in the post-season, and that's seriously all I can remember. Plus, Nick has shown to be tremendously injury prone. Whenever he gets a nice streak going, that wrist gets something else wrong with it. He leans over the plate, so he's going to get beaned on it again, no doubt. I seriously don't see what you see in him that would make a Red Sox fan like you happy he's gone. I must be missing something. Nick was never of value to this team in the clutch. I see no reason why this deal for Javy wasn't a steal. Javy has brilliant stuff and I'm beyond thrilled we got him. I actually wanted him more than Schilling. Vazquez is young and is only getting better.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:52 am

Bump for Trans. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:57 am

I'll definitely answer your question, but it's midnight, and I'm going to bed. :-D

I'll get to it tomorrow a.m.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Hey Transmogrifier

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:46 am

Anonymous wrote: Nick was never of value to this team in the clutch.

Don't cut Nick short. He hit 320 with runners on, with a 962 ops.
Using RC/27, he ranked 5th among 1b, better then Bagwell and Sexson to name some. Of course he needs the 600 abs to make RC/27 more meaningful, but it shows Nick can hit.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby chinch sacs » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:56 am

HOOTIE wrote:

Using RC/27, he ranked 5th among 1b, better then Bagwell and Sexson to name some. Of course he needs the 600 abs to make RC/27 more meaningful, but it shows Nick can hit.

RC/27??? Please explain this mathamatical equation that makes Nick Johnson better than Bagwell and Sexson.
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:31 am

chinch sacs wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

RC/27??? Please explain this mathamatical equation that makes Nick Johnson better than Bagwell and Sexson.

RC/27 i explained in another post. I don't feel like reposting the formula, maybe MODS know how to post it here? If you note, i said it doesn't make him better, since he played far less, and created less runs. What it shows, if Nick posts those RC/27 numbers in 600 abs, then yes, he's basically Sexsons equal in real life runs created, (not fantasy).
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:03 am

chinch sacs wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

It's basically how many runs you create for your team, ie: if there were nine of a player on a team. He said that runs and RBI are dependant stats that go up or down based on other players. So RC/27 means how many runs one player would create over the course of a full game as the only player.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 am

HOOTIE wrote:

What he said! ^^ :-b

A few things I might add. His OBP was .422--which would have been third in the league, only behind Manny Ramirez and Delgado if he had more plate apperances. He had 324 at bats--which should go up with the Expos. Needless to say, this was better than all other Yankees--Giambi had a .412, Posada a .405, and Jeter a .393.

Johnson also averaged 4.3 pitches per plate appearance--which is amazing discipline. While Johnson didn't "qualify" because of only 96 games, no other non-qualified player (that played 90 games) or qualified player bettered him. Tom Wilson (96 games) tied him; Jeremy Giambi (50 games) bettered him with 4.4; and Jason Jones (40 games) bettered him with 4.5 (and had a .215 average). Other than that, the only other ones better than him played less than 40 games, and often less than 10.

Of those that qualified, the league leaders are Edgar Martinez and Frank Thomas (4.3), Jason Giambi (4.2), Johnny Damon, Rafael Palmeiro, David Ortiz and others (4.1). That's pretty good company.

But then again, you might say that he's injury prone. I can't argue he's had trouble. But he's done well and was a top Yankee prospect for three years or so. I bet with more consistent play, he'll get better. But from Hootie's stats plus his OBP, I think it shows that he is a player with great discipline who made that lineup much better.

They'll miss him. (And I don't need to get into the defensive aspect, do I?)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:53 am

Anonymous wrote:Sorry that I can't message you in another way

By the way, you should sign up, then you can send me private messages. ;-D

And Arlo might teach you the secret handshake, but here I am 1,900 posts in and I don't know it yet. :-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:59 am

A few things I might add. His OBP was .422--which would have been third in the league, only behind Manny Ramirez and Delgado if he had more plate apperances. He had 324 at bats--which should go up with the Expos. Needless to say, this was better than all other Yankees--Giambi had a .412, Posada a .405, and Jeter a .393.

Johnson also averaged 4.3 pitches per plate appearance--which is amazing discipline. While Johnson didn't "qualify" because of only 96 games, no other non-qualified player (that played 90 games) or qualified player bettered him. Tom Wilson (96 games) tied him; Jeremy Giambi (50 games) bettered him with 4.4; and Jason Jones (40 games) bettered him with 4.5 (and had a .215 average). Other than that, the only other ones better than him played less than 40 games, and often less than 10.

Of those that qualified, the league leaders are Edgar Martinez and Frank Thomas (4.3), Jason Giambi (4.2), Johnny Damon, Rafael Palmeiro, David Ortiz and others (4.1). That's pretty good company.

But then again, you might say that he's injury prone. I can't argue he's had trouble. But he's done well and was a top Yankee prospect for three years or so. I bet with more consistent play, he'll get better. But from Hootie's stats plus his OBP, I think it shows that he is a player with great discipline who made that lineup much better.

They'll miss him. (And I don't need to get into the defensive aspect, do I?)

Lemme clarify. Sure, Nick Johnson is extremely patient, but I don't think his OBP makes him worth more than a stud pitcher like Javier Vazquez. Nick may have had good regular season numbers with runners on, but this guy choked in post-season. He wasn't clutch for us. Plus, I think trading him opens the door to signing a solid glove at 1B that we haven't had since Tino. I watch Nick play the field, and trust me, his defense was overrated.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers