Yankees farm system - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees farm system

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees farm system

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:17 pm

Alright, the newest Vaz trade got me thinking. Do the Yankees have any trade chips left? Other than Soriano, not many Yankee players could easily be taken on by another team. And with Claussen, Johnson and Rivera recently gone, do they have anyone left in their system? How can they make a deal come July? We know the commish frowns on buying players--he made the Sox and Yanks adjust their deals with the Reds--so what do the Yanks do?

I know George isn't too forward thinking, and I know he'll figure something out, but has this struck anyone else?

I wonder whether the Yanks are putting together a real good roto team.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:29 pm

The Yankee's farm system is becoming as barren as the Red Sox' I'm afraid to say. This is like the cold war -- who's going to spend themselves into oblivion first? They'll both pay eventually, but it'll be the Red Sox first.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:32 pm

Erboes wrote:The Yankee's farm system is becoming as barren as the Red Sox' I'm afraid to say. This is like the cold war -- who's going to spend themselves into oblivion first? They'll both pay eventually, but it'll be the Red Sox first.

Erboes, can you discuss either the Sox or Yankees without criticism? I'm simply asking for who is in the Yankees system? Henson isn't gonna cut it, so who else is there?

And the Sox have successfully stockpiled some arms of late, and still have Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youklis--Greek God of Walks--, Kelly Shopach, etc. The Sox system is bad, but not barren.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm

I only criticize when criticism is warranted, and I think in both cases it is. Personal feelings aside, trading every player in your system will eventually catch up to you, no matter how many FA's you sign. I really thought George learned and the Sox's new management team would know better but I was wrong.

I have yet to dig into the minor league systems this season. I know it was pretty bad for both teams last season, so unless they uncovered some players when I wasn't looking it will probably be the same next season considering the trades they have made.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:48 pm

Erboes, the majority of your posts are very antagonistic. That was my point.

Anyway, I think the new management has done a better job of picking and choosing which prospects to give up. All teams do it; the problem is Theo was left with nothing. Duquette said that in big markets you don't need a farm system, you can just buy players, which really caught up to them. The farm system is getting better.

But, you're right in that both teams are more willing to trade away their prospects.

Now, the Yankees. I guess I'm mostly familiar with AA and AAA. Do they have any A prospects that could be trade bait?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:12 pm

I have no idea of any Yankee prospects. Interesting question though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Yankees farm system

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:30 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Alright, the newest Vaz trade got me thinking. Do the Yankees have any trade chips left? Other than Soriano, not many Yankee players could easily be taken on by another team. And with Claussen, Johnson and Rivera recently gone, do they have anyone left in their system? How can they make a deal come July?

NY system is getting barren. Everything runs in cycles.

You asked about A league.

In the Gulf Coast League (A), 3b Eric Duncan (NYY), was rated #1 prospect.

In the Florida State League (A), c Dioner Navarro was rated the 5th best prospect.
Navarro moving to the Eastern League (AA), was rated 7th.

Listing each teams top 10, scouts, farm directors, and front office personal were used. NYY best player, Navarro by far.
While this is real accurate, BA rated the teams on who had the most prospects in a leagues top 20.

Angels were 1, they are loaded
Redsox 15th
NYY 27th
Expos last

Just a quick note on the PCL. These names are on everyone's radar.
Top 6 PCL prospects
1 Rich Harden
2 Rafael Soriano
3 Bobby Crosby
4 Jerome Williams
5 Jason Bay
6 Khalil Greene

Scouts were consulted, but it's mainly a mgr's poll.

ERBOES You say both NY and Boston are going about it wrong, that they are dumping their prospects. Who exactly of real value has Boston traded? De La Rosa maybe. Boston has had some overrated prospects in recent history.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Yankees farm system

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:35 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Listing each teams top 10, scouts, farm directors, and front office personal were used. NYY best player, Navarro by far.
While this is real accurate, BA rated the teams on who had the most prospects in a leagues top 20.

Angels were 1, they are loaded
Redsox 15th
NYY 27th
Expos last

Was suppose to say, that the list ISN'T real accurate, not IS.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:00 pm

Yes, Boston is turning out like the Dodgers were a few years ago -- all the bluster about their prospects but no one amounted to anything.

Here are my thoughts about Boston: When the cupboard is nearly bare, what happens when you give something away from it? It becomes more bare. That is my viewpoint with teams that have weak farm systems. Maybe Fossum or De la rosa aren't Pedro and Schilling, but it was about the best they had. I liked when they refused to include Fossum in any deal for Colon last season. I really thought they'd become one of the best systems in the league with that mentality along with the money they have, but I guess it was just lip service. If it seems I'm ripping these organizations out of spite I assure you I am not. I just don't like this type of organization buiding. I think it's counter-productive in the long run.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:06 pm

I thought the Colon non deal was a bad move. Hillenbrand has a bad oba, never walks, Fossum i have never cared for. Colon/Pedro would have been a great 1-2 in postseason.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers