Jeff Karstens - Deep sleeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Karstens - Deep sleeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Karstens - Deep sleeper?

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Obviously not worth a draft pick, but he's been pitching extremely well in ST so far. Continuing to perform like this should guarantee a spot in the rotation as soon as glass Carl has his season ending injury.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgeryankees/2007/0 ... stens.html

One reason Jeff Karstens has impressed this spring is that his fastball is up to 91 mph. During his call-up late last season, Karstens was at times throwing only 86 mph.
He attributes the increase in velocity -- which also helps the deception of his change-up -- to a couple of factors. Working out at Athletes Performance Institute, the 6-foot-3 Karstens put on 15 pounds, going from 175 to 190.
Another factor is eliminating the cut fastball from his repertoire. Karstens believes throwing cutters last year contributed to a sore elbow that robbed him of velocity.

42 IP - 3.80 ERA - 1.20 WHIP - 16 SO - 11 BB in 2006 while lacking strength in his fastball. A 91 mph fastball with his seemingly great control could mean good things in the future for him.

By no means am I talking about top pitching material, and yes, it's only ST, but he might be someone to keep an eye on midyear when you need a 5th starter on your team.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 pm

yuck. AL only spot starter at best. The Yankee rotation is far too crowded and important to trust it to him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Havok1517 wrote:yuck. AL only spot starter at best. The Yankee rotation is far too crowded and important to trust it to him.

Again, only someone to keep an eye on if he gets called up to replace Pavano or Igawa, not someone to stash on your bench and hope he gets into the rotation.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raygunpunx » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Havok1517 wrote:yuck. AL only spot starter at best. The Yankee rotation is far too crowded and important to trust it to him.

Far too crowded? They have been talking of letting him start as the 5th starter and moving Igawa down. Even if he starts in the minors he is the first pitcher to be called up if someone gets hurt
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:10 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:

Again, only someone to keep an eye on if he gets called up to replace Pavano or Igawa, not someone to stash on your bench and hope he gets into the rotation.

Wouldn't they bring up hughes or start sanchez if that happened? i think so.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby raygunpunx » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:

Nope. Karstens is next in line
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 pm

raygunpunx wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:

Nope. Karstens is next in line

Yeah, I think the Yankees had little intention of bringing Hughes up at all this year, and having a troubling spring due to nerves probably assures that he will stay down all year. They won't bring him up in the middle of a playoff race, get blown apart, and ruin his confidence. They've been too careful with him to let something like that happen now. And as for Sanchez, I believe he's still having some arm issues and I doubt he gets called up. But if he does, he'll be up before Hughes.

It'll most likely be the same order as last year.

Karstens - Rasner - Clippard\Sanchez - Hughes
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Darrell Rasner should get a shot, no?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jbauer2485 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:52 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Darrell Rasner should get a shot, no?

Rasner got a shot last year, and he was pretty good as well. But I think based on Karstens' improvements and ST starts so far, he'd definitely get the nod as 5th starter if Pavano goes down or is traded.

Apparently the Yankee FO was always very high on Karstens and thought of him as a sleeper pick in the draft when they got him. Last year he had fantastic control which helped him out tremendously even though he was only throwing in the low to mid 80s.

This is the first time I've seen him so far this spring but he looked much bigger than last year, threw much faster with great control and he flat out DOMINATED the Twins tonight, only making 1 bad pitch in the 4 innings of work (Yes, the Twins offense isn't a powerhouse, it was ST, and minimum innings). Based on what I've seen so far though he could easily become a solid pitcher in the AL. I'll be watching him.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 am

sounds like a good AL-only sleeper, I'll have to keep an eye on him.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers