Tejada to the Tigers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada to the Tigers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dominican Lou?

Postby LBJackal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:20 pm

ntrdame316 wrote:What are you talking about. If Mike Maroth won 9 games last year, you dont think that some of the veteran free agents out there cant win more than that. Even though thier the Tigers, they are still professional ball players.

Technically AA teams are pro ball players too...that doesn't mean they're that good. But in most cases; better than the Tigers.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:16 pm

Reporters sure can make convincing arguements, Hmmm. After reading this, I came away trying to figure out why Tejada would even consider signing any where else .......

How bout them Angels ..... Reloading.
OCR wrote:The Angels remain in contention for two of the best players left in a deep free-agent pool.

The agency that represents outfielder Vladimir Guerrero and shortstop Miguel Tejada has begun narrowing the list of suitors for those players - in both cases, it is down to a few teams - and the Angels haven't been scratched from either list.

Tejada's primary agent said Thursday that Anaheim is an appealing destination for the 2002 American League MVP.

"He likes it down there," agent Diego Bentz said. "He likes the area; it's no secret. Obviously he knows the division. More important, his family likes it there. His wife made every trip to that area in six years, I believe. That's important, because Miguel is a very simple, family guy who loves to play baseball, and that's about it."

Tejada said at the end of last season he wanted to move his family to a city with a large Spanish-speaking population. He said some members of his extended family - including his brother and father - likely would move with him from the Dominican Republic, and they speak little English.

"That's a big factor for him, because his family means everything to him," Bentz said.

In order to land Tejada, the Angels might have to counter a serious push by the Detroit Tigers, whose owner Mike Ilitch said Wednesday he would be willing to "overpay" for a star free agent such as Tejada. But Ilitch might have to bring a hefty cash truck to lure Tejada to play for a last-place team in a pitcher-friendly venue like Comerica Park.

Anaheim always has been one of Tejada's favorite destinations. He idolized Angels first base coach Alfredo Griffin as a teenager in the Dominican Republic, picking the No.4 in honor of Griffin. Tejada, who has played in 594 consecutive games, sought to emulate Griffin's everyday durability.

Last season was a trying one for Tejada, who was told by Oakland A's co-owner Steve Schott in spring training that he likely wouldn't be returning. He overcame a horrible start to bat .278 with 27 home runs and 106 RBIs then slumped badly again in the AL Division Series.

The fact the Angels are a year removed from a World Series title - and apparently intent on spending the money to reclaim it - could also be a factor in Tejada's interest. He has never played on a team that won a playoff series.

"With Miguel, there are no hidden agendas," Bentz said. "Some guys want to be movie stars, they want to be managers, they want to be GMs. Miguel just wants to play baseball."

The Angels have the luxury of seeking offense where they can find it. Guerrero also remains a possibility, though he will likely command significantly more money than Tejada. He chose not to accept a five-year, $75 million offer to remain with the Montreal Expos. The Baltimore Orioles are considered strong contenders for his services
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby swingaway » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:11 am

more interesting news from detroit

Tigers: Mike Ilitch has said he's willing to overpay for a top free agent, but Rich Aurilia is the Tigers' Plan B at shortstop should Tejada prove too costly for Detroit. Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, confirmed to MLB.com that he has had discussions with the Tigers, but it's still early in the process. The Tigers cautioned him that they had interest in Tejada as well, but that the price could be prohibitive.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:38 am

Area51's wrote:I read this too, and also read that the tigers were willing to overpay to bring a superstar to Detroit.

I heard this too.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Go Twins » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:41 am

Anonymous wrote:
Area51's wrote:I read this too, and also read that the tigers were willing to overpay to bring a superstar to Detroit.

I heard this too.

me too.
Go Twins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:21 am

Go Twins wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I heard this too.

me too.

Should I sound redundant? me too.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:08 pm

DK wrote:
Go Twins wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I heard this too.

me too.

They know they will have to overpay. Might as well get it out in the open that they are willing to do so.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:43 pm

Madison wrote:
DK wrote:
Go Twins wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I heard this too.

me too.

They know they will have to overpay. Might as well get it out in the open that they are willing to do so.

True, it's not like they have any other factors working for them.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers