Tejada to the Tigers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada to the Tigers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tejada to the Tigers?

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:51 pm

I read somewhere that the TIGERS!!! were gonna try to sign Tejada because they wanted to bring a "star" into Detriot. They obviously are doing this to increase ticket sales, but I think it's the wrong thing to do. Shouldn't they try to rebuild from inside, and not spend a whole bunch of money on one guy?
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:04 pm

I read this too, and also read that the tigers were willing to overpay to bring a superstar to Detroit.

Now I gotta say that getting anybody to Detroit is better than what they have now....so I'm glad to see they're trying something, BUT......

Just like Baltimore, I think they'd be better served to get 3 5-mil a year guys rather than 1 15-mil a year star.

They need help all over, and having one guy come in and stink or get hurt(see: Juan Gonzalez) and then leave as soon as he can will only hurt things. Yes, it might sell a ticket or two, but so will winning more than 45 games a year.

The trick is, at this point, NO ONE wants to go there for any cash or length of contract. So they might have to try and grab everyone they can and hope someone says yes.

If I was them, I pull a Pirates from last year, and wait it out, and then grab as many guys as they can at the end who are at least quality.

You know what....never mind.....they'll still be awful...
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Tejada to the Tigers?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:05 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:I read somewhere that the TIGERS!!! were gonna try to sign Tejada because they wanted to bring a "star" into Detriot. They obviously are doing this to increase ticket sales, but I think it's the wrong thing to do. Shouldn't they try to rebuild from inside, and not spend a whole bunch of money on one guy?

i think it is kind of a publicity stunt. i think they even discussed making an offer for vlad as well but i dont think they seriously believe any of the top free agents will sign with them. they are doing this to make it seem like they are really making an effort to improve. they were horrible last year. they need to get some average guys in and just focus on being an average team for a couple years. then they can try to sign top free agents.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:05 pm

Now that's one thing I'm sure won't happen. The only reason it has any play now is because of apparent disinterest in Tejada. By next week when the offers start coming in for Tejada this will be revealed as what it is -- a publicity stunt.

And of course this is the last thing the Tigers should do anyway. They do have a history of doing stupid stuff like this though -- remember Gonzalez? But even if they try to repeat what they did with him there's no way Tejada falls for it unless, of course, they offer him A-Rod type of money.

Speaking of the Tigers, I was reading the story about this in the Detroit paper and they had a picture of Illitch on the podium and I don't think I have yet seen an uglier individual. If I ever try to look hip at that age like Illitch I will hope Dr. Kervorkian is out of prison by that time.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:15 pm

Detroit has actually shown interest in a lot of guys. The've offered a formal contract to Vina as well. I don't blame them at all for trying to improve.

If anyone will agree to play there, then I say sign them up. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:33 pm

They could spend $50 million extra a year and still stink. What's the point? Then you have unhappye veterans that you can't trade poisoning the young players and making a mess worse than it is now. Save the money until some of these young kids grow then spend it. It does no good for anyone to put the cart before the horse.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Swinger » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:41 pm

If they're gonna get a "star", they're gonna get Javy Lopez. You just watch!
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:06 pm

Many of you already know what I think, but at the risk of repeating myself, the Tigers' priority numero uno should be finding some (second-tier) veteran starting pitching. One season of hanging their young prospects out to dry was more than enough...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:26 pm

Arlo wrote:Many of you already know what I think, but at the risk of repeating myself, the Tigers' priority numero uno should be finding some (second-tier) veteran starting pitching. One season of hanging their young prospects out to dry was more than enough...

I agree. And since Bonderman lives here, and was pitching hs just a few years ago, i was sad to see the Tigers try to ruin him. But the kid has talent, and is a bulldog.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:32 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Arlo wrote:Many of you already know what I think, but at the risk of repeating myself, the Tigers' priority numero uno should be finding some (second-tier) veteran starting pitching. One season of hanging their young prospects out to dry was more than enough...

I agree. And since Bonderman lives here, and was pitching hs just a few years ago, i was sad to see the Tigers try to ruin him. But the kid has talent, and is a bulldog.

I agree with both of you.... The Tigers have to get some type of quality pitching...In a better situation, Bonderman has the stuff to be a very talented pitcher...but the Tigers have to have some veteran in place to help teach the younger pitchers how to pitch in the majors....Without some verteran type guidance...they could well be on there way to have another season where they have near 20 game losers..... :-/

However, Miggey and Vina wouldn't hurt their team either.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers