Unusual League Settings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unusual League Settings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unusual League Settings

Postby TheRock » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm trying to understand the surge of posts regarding some weird league and how to do well in it. It's a very valid question when confronted with something foreign, not trying to get on anyone's case for asking. But why is there a question to begin with? Who is setting up all these leagues with funky scoring systems and why? What's so wrong with playing the way everyone else plays?

I can see two possible reasons, likely there are more. First, we have the commish who comes up with an ingenious scoring system that favors particular players or stats. He sets the league up this way, knowing that most others in the league won't know how to draft for it, giving himself an edge on the competition. Happened in a 6x6 league I drafted in a few days ago, almost everyone drafted using 5x5 rankings, you could tell.

I can also see where veteran players might come up with something different, just to be different. Things like lowball leagues, using OPS instead of BA, there are ways to keep the game interesting and different. But by the time you've grown tired of playing the old way, shouldn't you know how to crunch a few numbers yourself?

Anyway, just venting a bit. Those of you in weird leagues, let me introduce my good friend MS Excel. Find or make yourself some projections, numbers go in, player values come out. Plenty of strategies around for H2H vs roto, do some reading. Above all, figuring out how best to play the game is half the fun of the game.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScarletP » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Last year I joined a football league with messed up settings. The silly part was that not even the person setting it up realized it. They had it set up for 1 pt/yd, regardless of whether it was passing, rushing, receiving, or returning. Everyone laughed at me as I drafted Wes Welker and Dante Hall with my 6th and 7th round picks, but I basically smoked everyone in the league. It was quite boring. I've never done a baseball league with screwy settings, but would never have any interest in it.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Weasel_King » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:04 pm

ScarletP wrote:Last year I joined a football league with messed up settings. The silly part was that not even the person setting it up realized it. They had it set up for 1 pt/yd, regardless of whether it was passing, rushing, receiving, or returning. Everyone laughed at me as I drafted Wes Welker and Dante Hall with my 6th and 7th round picks, but I basically smoked everyone in the league. It was quite boring. I've never done a baseball league with screwy settings, but would never have any interest in it.

lol :-D
Weasel_King
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing Rock. Who decides oh lets make IP worth 3 points and not use HR, etc. :-?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I was wondering the same thing Rock. Who decides oh lets make IP worth 3 points and not use HR, etc. :-?

Or the one league that didnt count SAVES!?! :-o So why would I target K-rod before the 15th round?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby number9 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:18 pm

When you're a beginner, all those cats look tempting, and you might start thinking "more cats would make it more realistic". But after a while you realize that too many cats just clog things up. But I prefer 6x6 with holds and something because it adds value to MR and some other players (depending on which offensive cat).
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Yeah, I guess that's the other option. New commishes that set up an abomination of a league not knowing what they're doing. If that's you, abort and set up a new league with standard scoring til you figure out how that works. ;-)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 pm

I think 95% of the leagues with messed up settings are by commishes who have no idea what is going on.

BTW does any still play 4x4 leagues? Those were much more popular when i started playing FBB 9 or so years ago.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 pm

thedude wrote:I think 95% of the leagues with messed up settings are by commishes who have no idea what is going on.

BTW does any still play 4x4 leagues? Those were much more popular when i started playing FBB 9 or so years ago.

My main $$ league is a NL only 4x4 auction. It still has the original settings from when the league was founded. We are in the 22nd year and it's still going strong. The rules have only been slightly modified since they were set up and it is more fun than any league I've ever played in.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Return to Baseball Leftovers