Granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rhydderch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 pm

XBH means extra base hits.

Remember we are talking about the Tigers here. This team refuses to switch closers. I think Granderson remains leading off...
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Granderson exploded onto the scent in the playoffs (not so much in the WS). He turns 26 in two days and I think he still has room for improvement. I expect 25 jacks.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Granderson exploded onto the scent in the playoffs (not so much in the WS). He turns 26 in two days and I think he still has room for improvement. I expect 25 jacks.

Maybe 25 jacks, but I doubt he will break 100 runs or steal more than 12 bases, add that in with the .260 AVG and I wont be looking for him until the 20th or later rounds

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dillpickle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Rhydderch wrote:XBH means extra base hits.

Remember we are talking about the Tigers here. This team refuses to switch closers. I think Granderson remains leading off...

Why would the Tigers switch closers? Jones went through a brief bad stretch when he was hurt a bit. Outside of that, he was very, very solid.

As for Granderson, I typically don't get too much into spring stats, but the fact that he has only one strikeout this year jumps out at me. After striking out 170 plus times batting leadoff last year, I understood he was going to try to work on it during the offseason. If he cuts those K's down to 90 or so, I'd think he'd get 30 to 40 more hits. That'd lead to a higher average by default as well as the potential for more SB's via being on base more often.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 pm

I doubt that - Pudge has hit leadoff the last 7 ST games. It looks like Leyland is already making that switch.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:

I doubt that - Pudge has hit leadoff the last 7 ST games. It looks like Leyland is already making that switch.

So has Granderson...split squad games.

But, it's clear that Granderson isn't going to lead off all the time.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 30400/1050
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:56 pm

He was lucky to hit .260 last year, his skills said he should have hit closer to .250 or even .240. He completely disappeared in the 2nd half when the pitchers had a chance to adjust to him. While he might not be a bad pick this year as a 26 year old there wasn't really much to like about last year other than the fact he played a lot.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:05 am

Granderson

Here's an article for the 17 of us Granderson fans. He is focusing on his mental state in terms of taking better swings. A good read.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 am

Ender wrote:He was lucky to hit .260 last year, his skills said he should have hit closer to .250 or even .240. He completely disappeared in the 2nd half when the pitchers had a chance to adjust to him. While he might not be a bad pick this year as a 26 year old there wasn't really much to like about last year other than the fact he played a lot.

We hashed this out last spring when, to be honest, I was more positive on Granderson than most. However, it's silly to think that a .300 hitter in the minors is suddenly going to become a .240 or .250 hitter in the majors.

And frankly, I think you need to look at his performance in September. He certainly struggled in July and especially in August. But, September was his second best month in OPS and his best month in slugging percentage. Looks to me, as his minor league record shows, that Granderson isn't half bad at making adjustments himself.

Granderson was fine as a balanced 4th or 5th OF last year. Good performance in runs, some decent HRs and a few SBs. If you were smart and limited his ABs against lefties, you had a guy who batted .274.

Granderson was a good balanced 4th
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:24 am

I never said anything about his future, I don't know much about him. Fact is he displayed the skills of a .240 hitter last year. Where he goes from there I don't know. Adam Dunn was a career .300 hitter in the minors too, not every hitter who hits .300 in the minors figures it out in the majors.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers