Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Would You Feel if Pete Rose was Reinstated?

Elated
38%
Ambivalent
26%
Nauseous
36%

Total votes : 77

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Nobody's claiming to be perfect, but I for one expect there to be consequences for my actions. If I make an error or wrong somebody, I will not whine and say "what, didn't you ever screw up? You self-righteous hater". I'll acknowledge what I did was wrong and accept whatever consequences may come like a man. Why can't Pete?

Pete Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'BRISTOL, Conn., March 14 (UPI) -- Pete Rose Wednesday admitted he bet on his own team nightly while managing the Cincinnati Reds.

"I bet on my team every night," admitted baseball's all-time hit leader in an interview on ESPN Radio. "I made a big mistake. It's my fault. It's nobody else's fault. [/b"]

[b]"Why can't Pete?" There you go. He admits he was wrong. It's his fault. As far as consequences, Pete and his supporters argue they have gone on long enough.

Get the man in the HOF.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:57 pm

AdvRider wrote:ON your own team -- not against it.

Maybe you missed the news, but Rose stated he bet on his team -- to win -- every game. That's what we're talking about here.

Right. He lied about betting at all for all these years then suddenly admits to this and you believe he's telling the whole truth?

AdvRider wrote:Obviously it compromises the integrity of the game if he bets against his own team. That's not the case, as far as anyone knows.

Managers and players should not be betting on the outcome of games at all. They're the ones that control the outcomes.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:59 pm

AdvRider wrote:
Nobody's claiming to be perfect, but I for one expect there to be consequences for my actions. If I make an error or wrong somebody, I will not whine and say "what, didn't you ever screw up? You self-righteous hater". I'll acknowledge what I did was wrong and accept whatever consequences may come like a man. Why can't Pete?

Pete Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'BRISTOL, Conn., March 14 (UPI) -- Pete Rose Wednesday admitted he bet on his own team nightly while managing the Cincinnati Reds.

"I bet on my team every night," admitted baseball's all-time hit leader in an interview on ESPN Radio. "I made a big mistake. It's my fault. It's nobody else's fault. [/b"]

[b]"Why can't Pete?" There you go. He admits he was wrong. It's his fault. As far as consequences, Pete and his supporters argue they have gone on long enough.

Get the man in the HOF.

quick question ..
would you let him back into baseball entirely?
I mean would you allow him to work in baseball in any fashion, or are you just putting him in the HOF.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:11 pm

wrveres wrote:
AdvRider wrote:

Get the man in the HOF.

quick question ..
would you let him back into baseball entirely?
I mean would you allow him to work in baseball in any fashion, or are you just putting him in the HOF.

Sure I'd let him back in. Welcome back Pete.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby in10s » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 pm

AdvRider,

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, just looking at the vote shows how divided people are on this issue. So, I respect your opinion to support Rose, and respect that you feel since he only bet on the Reds to WIN that the integrity of baseball was not compromised by his actions.

Would your opinion change if you thought he bet against the Reds?

In the first page of this thread I posted the following:

Don't forget, there is a chance (not proven, but possible) that Rose bet against the Reds while managing them. http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1212/1475769.html

If you believe what Rose is saying today, I can't change that. But for me, Rose's history of twisting the truth over the years leads me not to believe his current statements.

On the other hand Dowd has been nothing but trustworthy and knows this better than anyone else alive. I trust him more than Rose, and therefore feel there is a reasonable possibility that there were times that Rose bet on the Reds to lose.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:01 pm

On the other hand Dowd has been nothing but trustworthy and knows this better than anyone else alive. I trust him more than Rose, and therefore feel there is a reasonable possibility that there were times that Rose bet on the Reds to lose.

Dowd's official report reported no evidence that Rose had ever bet against his own team. Then Dowd muddied the waters by telling the media that he thought Rose "probably" bet against the Reds, but couldn't find any substantiating evidence.

Bah. If Rose did bet against his team, some bookie somewhere would have come forward by now to stake his claim to fame and a little fortune. It's like the conspiracy theory that NBA playoff games are fixed ... if they are, someone someday will come clean, either from bad conscience or seeking attention. Hasn't happened.

I would be down on Pete if he bet against his own team while managing. Steroids and gambling (for your team) don't bother me that much. Treason is degrees graver ... it's a tough question. But I don't think Rose is guilty of it.

I was at a 2003 World Series game and Rose was on the field. The crowd went wild with chants of Hall of Fame! Hall of Fame! I seem to recall a number of surveys (ESPN?) showing the public strongly in favor of Pete in the HOF.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djacks » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Makes no difference if he bet on his own team or against his own team. THE MAN BET ON BASEBALL WHILE HE WAS A MANAGER!!! It's not any more complicated than that. There were rules in place that said if you bet on the game while in MLB you get a lifetime ban. It's a black and white issue, there is no gray area here. Just because he happens to hold a record doesn't change the rule.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby madmax391 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I agree with djacks.

He bet on baseball = he's no longer allowed in baseball.

It isn't very complicated.
madmax391
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 pm

AdvRider wrote:I was at a 2003 World Series game and Rose was on the field. The crowd went wild with chants of Hall of Fame! Hall of Fame! I seem to recall a number of surveys (ESPN?) showing the public strongly in favor of Pete in the HOF.

The public often makes terrible decisions. Britney Spears solds millions upon millions of albums, the nation strongly believed that we'd be greeted as liberators, and "American Idol" has been the top ranked show since 2004. Perhaps the public has their collective head up their tuchus.

If everyone else were jumping off a bridge, I wouldn't. And if everyone else were in favor of letting Rose in, I wouldn't be. He broke the rules and comprimised the integrity of baseball. He's out. And he should never be let in again.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 pm

I would let him be commissioner of baseball if he would just shut the hell up.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers