Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Would You Feel if Pete Rose was Reinstated?

Elated
38%
Ambivalent
26%
Nauseous
36%

Total votes : 77

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:He just admitted that he bet on his own team while managing which really compromises the integrity of the game. Here is the interview link:

Link

How o how could betting on your own team while managing "compromise the integrity of the game?"
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Hall yes! Baseball Op's NO!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:24 pm

AdvRider wrote:Rose absolutely belongs in the Hall of Fame IMHO. No played nuts to the wall every instant he was on the field -- all out, no holds barred, driven to win. Rose's taking out Ray Fosse in the 1970 All-Star game is a classic moment in MLB history.

Unfortunately there are enough self-righteous haters (who themselves have never committed a wrong, told a lie, or fallen victim to some vice) out there to keep the all-time hits leader out of the Hall of Fame. At least for now.

I am all for second chances, except when it sets a precedent that could potenially damage the game.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 pm

AdvRider wrote:How o how could betting on your own team while managing "compromise the integrity of the game?"

Is this your entry in the "Ask a question with a blatantly obvious answer" competition? If so I think you may win.

AdvRider wrote:Unfortunately there are enough self-righteous haters (who themselves have never committed a wrong, told a lie, or fallen victim to some vice) out there to keep the all-time hits leader out of the Hall of Fame. At least for now.

Now, let's not resort to name-calling. It's called being responsible. Nobody's claiming to be perfect, but I for one expect there to be consequences for my actions. If I make an error or wrong somebody, I will not whine and say "what, didn't you ever screw up? You self-righteous hater". I'll acknowledge what I did was wrong and accept whatever consequences may come like a man. Why can't Pete?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:52 pm

How o how could betting on your own team while managing "compromise the integrity of the game?"

Is this your entry in the "Ask a question with a blatantly obvious answer" competition? If so I think you may win.

It is indeed my entry. Go ahead and explain it.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Even if Rose only bet on the Reds to win while managing them, that's bad enough for a lifetime ban. If I have 10,000 dollars on my team to win, I'll pull out all the stops. I'll put Santana in for the 9th inning even if it means he won't do as well in 3 starts. I may push my starter harder than usual.

In effect, I'll treat it like a playoff game. I'll burn my bullpen. I'll do whatever it takes to win.

Whatever we may think, they don't try and win every game. They can't. In baseball, you have to look at the next 5 games because what happens in this one defines what happens in those.

Rose is out because he deserves to be.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Not sure what you're missing here...

- Pete Rose bets against his team...
- As the manager of said team, he goes out and ensures that they lose.

What's your question?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:36 pm

Besides degenerate gamblers always endup in debt. Do you really want the manager of a MLB baseball team indebt to gamblers? Do you not see the problem with that?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:48 pm

TheRock wrote:Not sure what you're missing here...

- Pete Rose bets against his team...
- As the manager of said team, he goes out and ensures that they lose.

What's your question?

ON your own team -- not against it.

Maybe you missed the news, but Rose stated he bet on his team -- to win -- every game. That's what we're talking about here.

Pete Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'BRISTOL, Conn., March 14 (UPI) -- Pete Rose Wednesday admitted he bet on his own team nightly while managing the Cincinnati Reds.

"I bet on my team every night," admitted baseball's all-time hit leader in an interview on ESPN Radio. "I made a big mistake. It's my fault. It's nobody else's fault. Still, I believe I'm the best ambassador baseball has. I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team. I was wrong, but I believed in my team. I had so much confidence in my team, and what did that make me do? I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

He has previously admitted he bet on the Reds, but not that he bet on every game.

Obviously it compromises the integrity of the game if he bets against his own team. That's not the case, as far as anyone knows.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:50 pm

I would gamble, the odds of Pete Rose still betting on baseball to this day are close to 75%. It is an addiction that few rarely get over.
I had an Uncle that did not leave the house in the morning without 2 or 3 thousand 'down', everyday! He doesn't do that anymore of course, because the odds clearly weren't in his favor and he lost pretty much everything. But you know what, he still bets on baseball. everyday.

just not so much money.

I have a hunch that Pete still bets the games too.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers