Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Would You Feel if Pete Rose was Reinstated?

Elated
38%
Ambivalent
26%
Nauseous
36%

Total votes : 77

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 pm

TheRock wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I have to admit, I'm surprised how many people are in favor of reinstating Rose in any extent. I thought what he did was one of the most disgraceful and self-serving acts possible of a baseball player.

Shows what I know. :-B

We live in a society that ever-increasingly believes people should not be held accountable for their actions. Not terribly surprising. Sad, but not terribly surprising. :-/

The question becomes to what level should he be held accountable? Is a lifetime ban a just punishment for betting FOR the team you're managing to win? I think 20 years is a pretty good ban.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:32 pm

knapplc wrote:The question becomes to what level should he be held accountable? Is a lifetime ban a just punishment for betting FOR the team you're managing to win? I think 20 years is a pretty good ban.
See the thing is I don't believe Rose when he says he only bet on his team to win. Why should I? He has lied about his gambling habits for the last 20 years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote:The question becomes to what level should he be held accountable? Is a lifetime ban a just punishment for betting FOR the team you're managing to win? I think 20 years is a pretty good ban.
See the thing is I don't believe Rose when he says he only bet on his team to win. Why should I? He has lied about his gambling habits for the last 20 years.

OK, even assuming he bet against his team, 20 years is pretty fitting punishment. Murderers have shorter sentences!
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Bingo. If you read the stuff the guys MLB assigned to investigate Rose, they feel convinced that he bet AGAINST his team aswell. They were instructed to stop the investigation by MLB when Rose agreed to sign a confession admitting only that he bet for his team.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 pm

ramble2 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:pete rose's accomplishments are in the HOF. pete rose isnt. thats how it should be.

He should be though.

But at the same time, I don't think he should be allowed back in baseball and also should not enjoy ANY benefits related to baseball.

I agree with jd (and wr above).

Letting Rose into the Hall would certainly allow him to benefit off of baseball. You don't think he'd raise the amount he charges for autographs?

Not sure. The only reason Pete wants back in with baseball is for self profit that much I do know. Would people pay more for his autographs just because he was inducted into the Hall? You may have a point.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Yoda wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:pete rose's accomplishments are in the HOF. pete rose isnt. thats how it should be.

He should be though.

But at the same time, I don't think he should be allowed back in baseball and also should not enjoy ANY benefits related to baseball.

Letting Rose into the Hall would certainly allow him to benefit off of baseball. You don't think he'd raise the amount he charges for autographs?

Not sure. The only reason Pete wants back in with baseball is for self profit that much I do know. Would people pay more for his autographs just because he was inducted into the Hall? You may have a point.

Rose's goal is to keep his name in the news. That is why he came out and said he bet on the Reds everyday, to get his name back in the news. That is also why he wrote the book and admitted to betting on baseball in the first place. Getting inducted to the hall of fame would put him in the news for again and create even more buzz, which would lead to more autographs and more book sales. Rose is just greedy.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 pm

knapplc wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

OK, even assuming he bet against his team, 20 years is pretty fitting punishment. Murderers have shorter sentences!

Not in my mind. And please don't compare what Rose did and his punishment to serious crimes. He broke a well established baseball rule with well established punishments. Rose accepted the lifetime ban, he should live with it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm

thedude wrote:
Yoda wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

He should be though.

Rose's goal is to keep his name in the news. That is why he came out and said he bet on the Reds everyday, to get his name back in the news. That is also why he wrote the book and admitted to betting on baseball in the first place. Getting inducted to the hall of fame would put him in the news for again and create even more buzz, which would lead to more autographs and more book sales. Rose is just greedy.

Hmmm I think I changed my mind about it. HOF would most definitely raise his stock.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AdvRider » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Rose absolutely belongs in the Hall of Fame IMHO. No played nuts to the wall every instant he was on the field -- all out, no holds barred, driven to win. Rose's taking out Ray Fosse in the 1970 All-Star game is a classic moment in MLB history.

Unfortunately there are enough self-righteous haters (who themselves have never committed a wrong, told a lie, or fallen victim to some vice) out there to keep the all-time hits leader out of the Hall of Fame. At least for now.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm

Pete Rose agreed to his ban from baseball and in return, Giamatti agreed not to release the REALLY bad stuff that was known by MLB. Giamatti dies and rose starts grousing about not being in the hall. He didn't only bet ON the reds. A gambler bets to win money. He'll put his bet wherever he can win. That dirtbag was playing with peoples' careers for his personal gain.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers