Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Would You Feel if Pete Rose was Reinstated?

Elated
38%
Ambivalent
26%
Nauseous
36%

Total votes : 77

Reinstate Rose: Would You Be "Elated?"

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 am

Pete Rose seems to think you'd be "elated" if he was reinstated.

What say you?

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Pete Rose said his fans would likely be "elated" if baseball reinstated him.

"Everything should be for the fans," Rose said Tuesday before a preview party celebrating Saturday's opening of a special exhibit in his honor at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame. "If they retired my number here, don't you think the fans would be elated?

"They could send a hit man after me, and I would still be out there trying to sell baseball. My name's synonymous with baseball."

Several Rose-related artifacts have been on display at the Reds Hall of Fame since it debuted in 2004, a year after Great American Ball Park opened. The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a career-high 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

"I'm just happy having three stories of balls. That's a lot of balls," said Rose, who spent almost three more seasons as Cincinnati's manager before he agreed to a lifetime ban in 1989 after an investigation if his gambling. In a 2004 autobiography, Rose admitted he had gambled on baseball.

Displayed at the news conference were the bat Rose used and the ball when he got hit 4,192 to pass Ty Cobb.

"You want to check and make sure there's no cork in that bat?" Rose joked.

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company. He couldn't say whether he thought the current exhibit represented a softening of baseball's stance regarding his ban.

"I want to thank baseball for giving the permission to do this," he said about the exhibit. "They wouldn't let me be on the field for the last game here (at Cinergy Field, the Reds' previous home). They wouldn't let me go to the last game in Philadelphia (at Veteran's Stadium) either."
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:45 am

I'd say most Reds fans would be elated.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am

I would be elated. The guy deserves to be in the Hall. I mean football let Irvin in and he was a coke head as was LT. There are people in that are wife beaters and worse, so why can't rose go into the hall, b/c he gambled come on
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:56 am

As much as I don't like Pete Rose, the Hall of Fame can't be completely legitimate without him being in it.

*edit*... what the heck is the "whole of fame"? :-? :-b
Last edited by josebach on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 am

I know my dad would be escatic if Rose was reinstated and allowed into the Hall of Fame. He was a huge Rose fan while Pete played, so I guess Rose is correct in saying "his fans would be elated".
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 am

He should never be allowed to have anything to do with baseball again. Please Bud, do the right thing for once and dont even think about removing the ban.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Gozirra » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Not so fast...Pete didn't just bet...he bet on baseball WHILE he was managing. That is nearly unforgivable. The Hall wouldn't care if he drove drunk, bet on football or had an assault and battery charge. Those are human faults that a certain percentage of us will fall prey to.
He had direct control and influence over game outcomes that related to his betting. It was premeditated and deliberate time and time again. He admitted to it when he wanted to sell books for God's sake.

Talk about a conflict of interest!!

As much as I hate Irvin for being a loudmouth and drug user, he did not effect the integrity of the GAME with his use IMO.

Pete had every opportunity to come clean a long time ago and soften this blow but he chose to play "hardball".
I guess he gambled one too many times.
All in all, I think he should be admitted with a Big DISCLAIMER separating his Managerial actions from his playing skills.
By the way, if you admit him...Shoeless Joe would be next....on and on.
GOZIRRA

"Always chose the difficult right over the easy wrong."
USMC Officer Training
Gozirra
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:49 pm

As much as I dislike steroid users, what Pete Rose did was 100 times worse. You cannot bet on baseball when you have a direct impact on the game. It is despicable, disgusting, and disgraceful. It compromises the very legitimacy of the product that is put out on the field. Shoeless Joe Jackson, Jim Devlin, Hal Chase, Pete Rose, and anyone else who bet on baseball never deserve to have their name anywhere close to Cooperstown.

Jim Devlin (after he was banned from baseball), went every meeting begging to have an audience with the team owners. He wrote letters to prominent members of the baseball community including Harry Wright. All of his pleas fell to return fell on deaf ears. And in this case, the owners did the absolute right thing. If there is forgiveness for betting on baseball or throwing baseball games, then we can never be sure if we are seeing a legitimate product on the field of play.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thekingthe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:54 pm

NO! Anyone who brings our the authenticity of our beloved game into question should be banned for life. That is the only way to discourage cheaters. The only way to make sure the players of today don't sell themselves to gamblers for millions of dollars is to show them that any such action would cost them hundreds of 100 millions. Anyone who thinks pete Rose should be in the hall of fame doesn't understand that this situation is bigger than Rose.
thekingthe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:14 pm

I'd be elated. I think he absolutely deserves to be in the Hall as a player. But you could also include his actions as a manager so it's not forgotten.

I also think Shoeless Joe deserves to be in, but that's just me.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers