Most Reliable Mock Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Reliable Mock Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Most Reliable Mock Draft?

Postby angels7777 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:08 pm

What would everyone consider to be the most reliable Mock Draft here at the Cafe?
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 pm

I would look instead at actual drafts. Many leagues are already drafting, many available to peruse here in the draft room forums. You can also watch live drafts on ESPN.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:46 am

I don't consider any mock draft "reliable". Some are very good, but drafts are tough creatures to predict. You have to be able to change from your predraft strategy completely sometimes, as runs happen, people fall too far, and other things that can change your "plan". Handcuffing yourself to only one mock, one set of rankings, or whatever, isn't the best way to enter a draft. The more info you have and the more you know, the better prepared you will be and the easier it will be to shift gears and make the right picks come draft day.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 am

To me the idea of having a draft being "reliable" in the first place is inherently flawed. There cannot be a most reliable draft because each draft it its own entity. What may seem reliable through the law of averages, may turn out to be the least like your own draft.

Use mocks for what they are intended - a rough gauge of where players are going. You are definitely going to see deviations of a few rounds on certain players but that is the nature of the beast.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby josebach » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 am

pokerplaya wrote:Use mocks for what they are intended - a rough gauge of where players are going. You are definitely going to see deviations of a few rounds on certain players but that is the nature of the beast.

It's the same thing with cheatsheets. You can only take what you're given. I had the 5th pick and didn't know who I would get, so my 2nd pick was going to completely depend on who my 1st pick was.

For example if I got Reyes in the 1st, my 2nd pick would be Carlos Lee or Hafner. I actually ended up with A-Rod in the first and was fortunate Crawford was still there for my 2nd pick.

This is why I think spending a ton of time on cheatsheets isn't necessary. Even if you like Tejada better than Hanley Ramirez, if your first two picks are HR/RBI guys, picking Hanley still might be the better move for your team. The draft should dictate to you what your team looks like.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

josebach wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Use mocks for what they are intended - a rough gauge of where players are going. You are definitely going to see deviations of a few rounds on certain players but that is the nature of the beast.

It's the same thing with cheatsheets. You can only take what you're given. I had the 5th pick and didn't know who I would get, so my 2nd pick was going to completely depend on who my 1st pick was.

For example if I got Reyes in the 1st, my 2nd pick would be Carlos Lee or Hafner. I actually ended up with A-Rod in the first and was fortunate Crawford was still there for my 2nd pick.

This is why I think spending a ton of time on cheatsheets isn't necessary. Even if you like Tejada better than Hanley Ramirez, if your first two picks are HR/RBI guys, picking Hanley still might be the better move for your team. The draft should dictate to you what your team looks like.

None of that makes cheatsheets useless. I build a cheatsheet where everyone is grouped in tiers by position. Its used primarily so I can quickly identify the depth at each position remaining on the board and is handy for identifying people who are dropping way too far.

I break it down to 1-3 round, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-18, 19+ and then Late round fliers. Then I looked at ADP to identify players who will likely drop farther than on my list so I can let them slip an extra round or two before selecting them. This is for deep leagues not shallow Yahoo ones.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby josebach » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 am

Ender wrote:
josebach wrote:

None of that makes cheatsheets useless. I build a cheatsheet where everyone is grouped in tiers by position. Its used primarily so I can quickly identify the depth at each position remaining on the board and is handy for identifying people who are dropping way too far.

I break it down to 1-3 round, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-18, 19+ and then Late round fliers. Then I looked at ADP to identify players who will likely drop farther than on my list so I can let them slip an extra round or two before selecting them. This is for deep leagues not shallow Yahoo ones.

I never said cheatsheets were useless. I use them. All I'm saying is your team's needs should override your cheatsheet. I just think if you really know the players, you don't need to spend a ton of time customizing... that's all.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers