2nd Year Keeper League Draft: WHIRRRR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

2nd Year Keeper League Draft: WHIRRRR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2nd Year Keeper League Draft: WHIRRRR

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:50 pm

This is a 12-team H2H 6x6 Keeper league with Holds and OBP. Here's my squad: Bold are my 8 Keepers and number in Parentheses are the rounds of the supplemental draft I took them in:

C Ivan Rodriguez (11)
1B Derrek Lee
2B Orlando Hudson (13)
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Miguel Tejada
OF Carlos Beltran
OF Jason Bay

OF Rocco Baldelli (2)
Util Chad Tracy (8)
Util Adam Dunn
Bench Brandon Wood (15)

SP Ben Sheets
SP CC Sabathia

RP JJ Putz (1)
RP Chad Cordero (4)
P Takashi Saito (5)
P Brian Fuentes (7)
P Salomon Torres (10)
Bench Mark Prior (9), Tim Lincecum (12), Ervin Santana (3), AJ Burnett (6), Jeff Francis (14)

I obviously punted Holds, as I can find a guy on the WW all the time who can get 25+ Holds. I thought having lots of Saves would actually give me an edge, especially in trading. Pretty happy with the team so far.

WHIR!
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaveClay12 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:09 pm

Looks like you have a very strong team to me... Orlando Hudson isn't the greatest 2B... Maybe you can package him with Tracy to get someone better? Also, keep Torres on your bench, or try to trade him for an upgrade at 2B. He's a journeyman, he's old, he's getting hit this spring, and Burnett and Santana are both better choices.

Other than those two little things, you're in great shape.

If you get a chance:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2093465#2093465
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Prior is in risk of not making the roster. He has not performed too well this year.

Ivan Rodriguez's numbers will probably decline, but will produce decent results.

And I'd drop Adam Dunn.....perhaps look for a younger catcher(Ianatta/Napoli/Paulino) as a keeper and move Ivan to the UTIL category.

help with mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=257532
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:51 pm

All the 2Bs went rapidly off the board - the only decent ones left on the WW that have any chance of being upgrades are Cantu and Burke.

Also, we start 2 Util players, so Tracy prolly won't be going anywhere unless I grab a new Util since Wood isn't slated to start the year in the Bigs.

Torres is starting simply because he's a closer. This league has daily roster changes - so I simply have all my RPs playing per day unless I have more than 2 SPs starting.

Also, I think Prior's job is a little more secure than you are suggesting. I got Pudge at 225 overall so I think it was a decent pick ;-D Also, Dunn won't be dropped... this is a league with OBP so his value is much higher than just a plain 5x5 - and we only keep 8 per season, so there really is no way I'd keep Pudge or any young catcher, other than the big 3.

Thanks for the criticisms though! Keep 'em coming :)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaveClay12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:06 am

FYI - a) don't drop Dunn, doesn't matter what kind of league it is.

b) Prior's job is not at all secure. In fact, it is looking more and more like he might start in AAA. I've followed him closely, b/c he's been on my team since my league's inception 4+ years ago, and briefly flirted with keeping him again this year.
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:17 am

Dunn was never in danger of being dropped ;-D

Prior, however, I don't think his job is secure by any means - but more than it may seem. I still think will be the 5th starter this season and then will move up the ranks. It's hard for me the fathom Miller, Cotts, or Guzman taking and retaining that final spot. I could be wrong, for sure, but there isn't much on the WW for SPs as well:

Glavine
Maddux
Jennings
Contreras
Hensley
Hughes
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:29 am

Prior is fighting for the FIFTH roster spot, behind Zambrano/Lilly/Marquis/Hill.

He needs to have DECENT stuff to make the team, and he is getting SHELL SHOCKED (ERA=18.9 in Spring Training) and his next scheduled start is a MINOR league game.

Dunn, on the other hand, I'll have to respectfully disagree with:

.234 BA/40 Home Runs/131 Hits/ 561 ABs (not sure what the OPS is on that).

I like Tracy as your 2nd Util player.
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 am

Other than the BA, which Bill James, ZiPS, CHONE all have it increasing, Dunn is too valuable - especially with a career 380+ OBP.

But yeah, I know Prior has been doing horrible in ST, but I still have faith. I understand your concern though - and if he ends up losing that spot for the forseeable future, I'll have to cut and run.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:48 am

livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsjerk » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:50 am

You had a sweet core going into the draft. My only concerns would be 2B, but like you said, there wasn't much there, and SP. Not so much the strength of your pitchers, but the depth. Maybe look to add some SP's to rotate through each week so you can have 5 or 6 going for you.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team