What do the Halos look like next season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do the Halos look like next season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pkarr5000 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:59 am

i hope not. wheres john halama when you need him?!?!? :-b
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:25 pm

chinch sacs wrote:So, Mad...

Do you think the Halos will keep Shields in the rotation? He made a pretty good starter...

Not sure yet. I hope so. I think he could do very well as a starter.

Even with the implosion against Detroit last year. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:27 pm

ramble2 wrote:The West should be fun next year. But with Zito, Hudson, Mulder, Harden and (?), the A's will be fine. They may start off slow in the runs department, but by the end of the season they'll be producing enough to win.

Question: If they start off slow in run production, what will make it increase towards the end?

Don't say getting another bat. They need to do that now, in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:50 pm

Madison wrote:
ramble2 wrote:The West should be fun next year. But with Zito, Hudson, Mulder, Harden and (?), the A's will be fine. They may start off slow in the runs department, but by the end of the season they'll be producing enough to win.

Question: If they start off slow in run production, what will make it increase towards the end?

Agreed. The A's are basically Eric Chavez and then a bunch of Jeff Duncan's.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby L0rdB23 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:47 pm

dk wrote:The A's are basically Eric Chavez and then a bunch of Jeff Duncan's.

LOL.. duncan reminds me of a johnny damon that cant hit
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:56 pm

Madison wrote:

Well, I said that for a few reasons.

1. Optimism.
2. I'm hoping that the young players (e.g., Crosby) will mature as the season progresses.
3. Durazo finally started doing what Billy wanted him to do at the end of last season. Kielty and Kotsay may take some time to get comfortable in the A's system too.
4. Over the last few seasons, the A's have followed the same pattern. Start off slower than anticipated. Then tweak, fix, trade, cobble, bandage and pray, and they start clicking. I don't think that's a coincidence, and I think it will probably repeat again next year.
5. Billy Beane. I agree they need a bat now. But it's easier for a team like the A's to get a bat in a trade than it is in a free agent. There will be another trade this summer.

They won't be as explosive an offense as other teams, but once the players get comfortable and figure out the system, there will be a lot of guys who are tough outs in that lineup. They'll work pitchers and get to bullpens. They'll get on base. And when you get on base enough, eventually you score some runs.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby blankman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:33 pm

ramble2 wrote:
Madison wrote:Question: If they start off slow in run production, what will make it increase towards the end?

4. Over the last few seasons, the A's have followed the same pattern. Start off slower than anticipated. Then tweak, fix, trade, cobble, bandage and pray, and they start clicking. I don't think that's a coincidence, and I think it will probably repeat again next year.

I was just about to say that. The last few years, the A's have been a 2nd half team, for one piece of evidence, look at Chavez's 1st and 2nd half splits:

Career BA/RBI/OPS/K's:
1st half: .256/222/.802/275
2nd half: .301/244/.902/187

Obviously this isn't the whole picture, but Chavy's splits are pretty obvious, as are Tejada's from the last 2 yrs.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:14 am

I do agree that typically the A's bats are slow starting. If I was the manager or owner, I'd be irritated that they don't start hitting sooner. Imagine how much better they would have been the last couple of years if they would come out of the gates ready to hit. :-B
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:40 am

Madison wrote:I do agree that typically the A's bats are slow starting. If I was the manager or owner, I'd be irritated that they don't start hitting sooner. Imagine how much better they would have been the last couple of years if they would come out of the gates ready to hit. :-B

It would pay to be an A's fan if they did that. Imagine if Chavez hit like that all year? :-°
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bell » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:49 pm

According to Rotoworld:

The Angels are interested in signing Travis Lee to replace Scott Spiezio at first base.

Ah, the days when we thought he'd be our first baseman of the future. :-b
Last edited by bell on Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers