Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:11 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Maybe that was the article, but i don't think so it was an in depth article somewhere, i am not retarded enough to listen to one random guy, i know what i am doing, i read PETCO and BA and BP. I was just pointing one thing out that i think got blown out of proportion, proabably by my writing since i wasn't clear. Anyway like i said i definetly agree with you last statement

I think your initial comparison of Kemp to Pedro Cerrano is probably what spurred on this debate.

In any case, a ton of prospects have problems with off speed pitches. Hell, a ton of star MLB players have problems with off speed pitches. See Andruw Jones and his propensity to swing at every breaking ball down and away from the K zone. He did that for years and still put up great numbers.

The point is, it's way too early to say so and so can or can't hit breaking balls. But I know one thing. If he really couldn't hit a breaking ball, then he couldn't possibly put up those numbers at AA/AAA as a 21 yo.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Maybe that was the article, but i don't think so it was an in depth article somewhere, i am not retarded enough to listen to one random guy, i know what i am doing, i read PETCO and BA and BP. I was just pointing one thing out that i think got blown out of proportion, proabably by my writing since i wasn't clear. Anyway like i said i definetly agree with you last statement

I think your initial comparison of Kemp to Pedro Cerrano is probably what spurred on this debate.
In any case, a ton of prospects have problems with off speed pitches. Hell, a ton of star MLB players have problems with off speed pitches. See Andruw Jones and his propensity to swing at every breaking ball down and away from the K zone. He did that for years and still put up great numbers.

The point is, it's way too early to say so and so can or can't hit breaking balls. But I know one thing. If he really couldn't hit a breaking ball, then he couldn't possibly put up those numbers at AA/AAA as a 21 yo.

Oh, oops my bad
It was a joke, not a real comparison just using it as a funny reference :-/
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SignGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
thedude wrote:There is nothing in the numbers to prove that he cannot hit a curveball. Where did you hear that he had this problem?

I can't remember, it was last year. There was an article about it i read. Like i said i do doubt his long term vakue he dominated the minors and is still young. I was just saying don't expect the domination this year as he has something to work on

I imagine what you are recalling are the numerous comments in rotoworld, who knocked Kemp's ability to hit breaking pitches FOUR times in his first month. No real baseball source for that comment. In fact, the Dodgers have emphaiszed the issue is Kemp's ability to play a decent CF, which is why they got Pierre, and have him playing more corner OF.

Ask me which I would believe:Kemp's demonstrated ability to make adjustments and improve as he played professional ball or some anonymous rotoworld commenter.

Shandlers player capsule in the Forecaster says the same thing. He DOES have problems with the breaking ball, but its not as serious where the kid isnt going to have major league success. I like Ethier more than him fwiw.

And how many major league pitchers have a decent curve these days? Not many.

That is just silly. i know you dont believe that
Last edited by SignGuy on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SignGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:41 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:In no way did i say his long term value is crap. I was merely point out he has some work to do

Well, no, you said he can't hit a curve ball and has a hole a mile wide in his swing.

I don't think there's ANY good evidence that this is true.

Yes there is. When he started getting a steady diet of breaking pitches, he didnt do as well. this is all from visual scouting ie watching plenty of Dodger games. I agree that its getting blown way out of proportion and some fine tuning that i believe he can make will make him better, but as of last year, Matt Kemp had problems with breaking pitches. I do like him
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:43 pm

[quote="deerayfan072
Maybe that was the article, but i don't think so it was an in depth article somewhere, i am not retarded enough to listen to one random guy, i know what i am doing, i read PETCO and BA and BP. I was just pointing one thing out that i think got blown out of proportion, proabably by my writing since i wasn't clear. Anyway like i said i definetly agree with you last statement[/quote]

Fair enough. I probably over-reacted.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:45 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:[quote="deerayfan072
Maybe that was the article, but i don't think so it was an in depth article somewhere, i am not retarded enough to listen to one random guy, i know what i am doing, i read PETCO and BA and BP. I was just pointing one thing out that i think got blown out of proportion, proabably by my writing since i wasn't clear. Anyway like i said i definetly agree with you last statement

Fair enough. I probably over-reacted.[/quote]

Cool, like i said i think my writing contributed to that b/c after i went back and read it i wasn't clear and i even disagreed with myself when i read the context :*) ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:49 pm

SignGuy wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:In no way did i say his long term value is crap. I was merely point out he has some work to do

Well, no, you said he can't hit a curve ball and has a hole a mile wide in his swing.

I don't think there's ANY good evidence that this is true.

Yes there is. When he started getting a steady diet of breaking pitches, he didnt do as well. this is all from visual scouting ie watching plenty of Dodger games. I agree that its getting blown way out of proportion and some fine tuning that i believe he can make will make him better, but as of last year, Matt Kemp had problems with breaking pitches. I do like him

Exactly. He's a good player who had great minor league success. But projecting 20/20 for a guy in his first full season is a bold prediction. Given his problem with breaking pitches I'd simply temper the short-term expectations and look more in the 15 or 16 range for both categories assuming full-time status. Long-term I think he'll be fine...he's got so much athletic talent I can't imagine he doesn't correct any problems he has with curve balls.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I hate reading this tread since it reminds me what an idiot Colletti is for pissing away god know how much money on Juan Pierre and is microscopic OPS and washed up old man Luis Gonzalez. Sure there is risk to Kemp, but why not roll the dice and invest the Pierre and Gonzalez money to fill a bigger hole? And is Kemp really any less polished than Betemit at 3B? Thanks Frank McCourt for hiring a Sabean disciple.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:10 pm

stumpak wrote:I hate reading this tread since it reminds me what an idiot Colletti is for pissing away god know how much money on Juan Pierre and is microscopic OPS and washed up old man Luis Gonzalez. Sure there is risk to Kemp, but why not roll the dice and invest the Pierre and Gonzalez money to fill a bigger hole? And is Kemp really any less polished than Betemit at 3B? Thanks Frank McCourt for hiring a Sabean disciple.

Pierre I'm ok with...but Gonzalez? I've got to agree, let Kemp sink or swim rather than pay Gonzalez.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby samjerky » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:13 pm

I disagree. I don't think you want to rely on Kemp this year and I think the Pierre signing was OK. Next year LA is going to have a ton of young players in there, so they will be able to afford a trade. Loney, Kemp, Ethier, Martin - I really think they're in a good position. So take a deep breath, things will turn out better than you think, and I think you're really under-rating Coletti. The Dodgers are the new Braves right now ... they won't win many championships, but they'll always be at the top. Guaranteed.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers